Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times

Advertisements

I'm really disturbed by the fact that the FBI has been able to recruit 2 young muslim Chicagoans to arrange to bomb targets in Chicago, particularly since these were targets where I've personally been on occasion (Cactus bar) and several hundred times (Wrigley). Unfortunately, I think it's only going to be a matter of time until one of them isn't set up by the FBI but rather an actual terrorist cell.
Remember, if you see something, say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
The mentality of these terrorists is still puzzling to me. What do they accomplish by killing an eight-year-old, two promising young adults, and making hundreds of lives difficult by causing limb removal? What is the benefit of this behavior? It's not going to change U.S. foreign policy in any way that benefits the Muslim world--and in fact, it will probably do the opposite. There is no "defeating America" through Jihad. It's just not possible. So in the end, these are purely futile efforts that are basically suicidal and only cause pain and destruction for innocent people. If there is a God, this would not please him.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The mentality of these terrorists is still puzzling to me. What do they accomplish by killing an eight-year-old, two promising young adults, and making hundreds of lives difficult by causing limb removal? What is the benefit of this behavior? It's not going to change U.S. foreign policy in any way that benefits the Muslim world--and in fact, it will probably do the opposite. There is no "defeating America" through Jihad. It's just not possible. So in the end, these are purely futile efforts that are basically suicidal and only cause pain and destruction for innocent people. If there is a God, this would not please him.
I thought that too and then yesterday the news reported that they did it because of wars in Afghanistan/Iraq. Then I remembered an interview with a friend to the alive Boston suspect. A few days after, he was at the gym and basically told a friend "Yeah but this kind of stuff happens everyday in Iraq and Afghanistan."

I am pretty certain part of this was to show the country that this is what goes on everyday in those countries, but nobody seems to give a ****. I'm sure in their minds they thought that they could show the US this and of course, to an extent they have, but they're completely stupid. They must think all Americans believe the same things.

Also for the OP: Since when was Wrigley named? This must be another thing..maybe before. Not sure if you're talking about the teen from Aurora, but there's nothing to do with that other than he was trying to join Al-Qaeda. There have been other foiled attacks in Chicago though like the bombing of a Synagogue (forget which one...maybe the one on State and Delaware) just a few years ago.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Also for the OP: Since when was Wrigley named?
I think he's referring to the sting operation a few years ago where a guy was putting fake bombs in trash cans near Wrigley.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Look at it this way - if on 9/12/01 someone told you the next successful attack on American soil wouldn't be until 2013, and it would be on the scale of an IRA type bombing instead of a larger attack like 9/11 or Oklahoma City. Would you consider that to be a success? I sure as hell do.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Look at it this way - if on 9/12/01 someone told you the next successful attack on American soil wouldn't be until 2013, and it would be on the scale of an IRA type bombing instead of a larger attack like 9/11 or Oklahoma City. Would you consider that to be a success? I sure as hell do.
Yeah, I thought we would be dealing with more of this stuff over the decade.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Of course.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I think he's referring to the sting operation a few years ago where a guy was putting fake bombs in trash cans near Wrigley.
I vaguely remember now. There's been a few more..like the synagogue one I mentioned. There might be one or two others too

Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I vaguely remember now. There's been a few more..like the synagogue one I mentioned. There might be one or two others too

Yes, I was referring to the guy who put a 'bomb' in a trashcan right outside Sluggers after a Cubs game.

I really got to question why many Muslim's claim the religion to be about peace yet a vast, vast majority of terrorism in the world if perpetrated by muslims. Are they reading from different books? Does the book say to kill innocents? This is a serious question because I just can't figure out in my mind how, even to a fanatical person, they wouldn't see the wrong in bombing a target where children will be killed.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,211,806 times
Quote:
You're thinking like a rational individual, which these guys were not. If attacks like this were rational and effective in reaching an end, there'd be way more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago