Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

One interesting experience that I've had at work is that I have several coworkers who live on the southside in majority african american neighborhoods who for whatever reason, are very funny about going up north for any reason and have actually declined or turned down invitations for that very reason (I have no qualms going south, I grew up in the south-suburbs and have been attending the south-side irish parade since birth, my dad used to work all over the southside, etc...., so unless the neighborhood in question is particularly sketchy, I don't have issues, but there are a lot of people who live on the northside who have similar issues), but I do know that there is a bit of neighborhood isolation that goes on, mostly based on misperceptions (from both sides) about the other end of town, and I do think they are sometimes racially based (and socioeconomically based).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 04:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork View Post
The reason why it concerned me with Chicago is because everyone makes a big deal about how the blacks in Chicago self-segregate and looking at the demographic maps, I was shocked.
Part of the reason is that middle class and affluent African Americans in Chicagoland have historically chosen to integrate into predominantly white neighborhoods and suburbs or racially but non-economically diverse communities like Oak Park (where they still make up a small minority). An exception to that has been the recent influx of young black professionals into Oakland, Kenwood, Bronzeville and, to some extent, the South Shore. The lack of a middle class and upper middle class influence in most African American neighborhoods has thwarted any hope of integration of these high poverty and crime areas.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM

35 posts, read 224,760 times
Quote:
Um, this is exactly what I mean. "Acting white" and "placing my admixture" has pretty much meant I should beg for forgiveness and black appoval because I don't listen to R&B/hip-hop/gospel, speak in black slang or with a "black accent." It also meant having random assumptions made about me because of my complexion, having random strangers "perceive special bonds" with me based on phenotype and being perceived as "avoiding being associated with blacks" because I am not always surrounded by black people and being expected to justify myself to blacks who "are curious" as to why I don't fit in.... which is usually code for, "I think you're trying not to be black." Whatever that means.

Thanks for your input though. It really does help. In NYC, that attitude does not reign supreme in the black community. The reason why it concerned me with Chicago is because everyone makes a big deal about how the blacks in Chicago self-segregate and looking at the demographic maps, I was shocked.

You obviously have issues with your blackness. Do black folks a favor and go toward the white side. No more confusion is needed on the black end!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Quote:
Hi-

Life-long New Yorker here. Moving to Chicago for professional school. I read some of the other threads relating to race relations and I'm wondering if someone could offer insight into what neighborhoods might freak me out less... Andersonville sounds good? I dunno. I'm mixed, grew up in mostly affluent, white environments - but always had a diverse group of friends and dated whoever the hell I wanted. I NEVER fit in in "black" communities and know I'm not always welcome in "white" communities. But in NYC, it's not so big a deal. There are neighborhoods where there are dominant demographics. Nothing as limiting as how Chicago is being described here.

Where do educated, middle-upper-middle class mixies tend to end up? When it comes to friends and dating, do we have to "choose?"

Thanks.
Good Question...

Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativelyNashville View Post
You obviously have issues with your blackness. Do black folks a favor and go toward the white side. No more confusion is needed on the black end!
I think the OP raises a good question about Modern day social Issues...And "the Roles we are "Expected" to play...And the Ambiguity of it all...

Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativelyNashville View Post
Maybe her issue isn't with her blackness but with the expectations people like you have of her because of it, whether she's interested in the same expectations for herself or not.

So this is what it has come down to: blacks have struggled against hundreds of years of slavery, oppression and racism from without, only to now have to also confront it from within. I guess I like Clarence Thomas's approach to the matter: "I refuse to have my ideas assigned to me as though I were an intellectual slave because I'm black."

Last edited by Drover; 05-19-2007 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
I've always been proud of black history, but never understood why some random dude I've never met in my life would address me as "sister." Are there any blacks and mixed people who can offer perspective?
I think Manigault explained it well. Terms of endearment. Even the blacks located in the super upper-class Chicago neighborhoods understand the connection when a stranger addresses them as "brother" or "sister". Hell, I've even had white co-workers address me as "sister" and black men as "brothers" or "bros" and they seem to get it, LOL! I'm sure you've heard White men even refer to each other as "bros" as in "bros before hoes"? These terms/slang aren't exclusive to the Black community and even if they were, it wouldn't be hard to figure out the meaning once you hear how they are used in context.

Drover, I don't think her issue is with her blackness. I've been accused of "talking white" and "acting white" myself. I do think its more of a common knowledge/sense type of issue. I'm pretty positive that if you yourself heard a black man say to a black woman "Hey sister, how are you today?" and you knew they weren't related, you would be able to draw context clues from that and figure out the connection or the meaning of the term.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Lets de-personalize this. I think that CharlotteYork is correct. In some of the Chicago older black neighborhoods the long-term residents do not always fully accept black people with different ideas and opinions. Chicago natives can have some pre-conceived expectations. This can make people uncomfortable but happens in the 'minority' of situations. People who are discomfitted by having their 'bona fides' questioned should seek younger and more diverse areas.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,381 times
I'm mixed, grew up in mostly affluent, white environments - but always had a diverse group of friends and dated whoever the hell I wanted. I NEVER fit in in "black" communities and know I'm not always welcome in "white" communities.

Many mixed race Blacks interact with the Black community with no undue difficulty. One tends to find what one is looking for. The moment you decise to make the outcome different it will be. Setting up the Black community as the villian on an open board with a high percentage of white posters isn't the best start.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Drover, I don't think her issue is with her blackness. I've been accused of "talking white" and "acting white" myself. I do think its more of a common knowledge/sense type of issue. I'm pretty positive that if you yourself heard a black man say to a black woman "Hey sister, how are you today?" and you knew they weren't related, you would be able to draw context clues from that and figure out the connection or the meaning of the term.
Huh? I'm not the one who said she has issues with her blackness....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago