Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM

57 posts, read 138,706 times

Advertisements

Scenario: We get a place in Ukrainian Village. Can someone give me commute estimates (driving) for me (to Downtown Evanston) and my sig. other (to Oak Brook)? I was thinking that I could take Western all the way north, and she could take Damen south to 290. We are both willing to endure a one hour commute each way. REALISTICALLY, what would we be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
btw -- I disagree that switching from a Union Station line to an Oligivie line is a 15 minute add-on -- I have personally done this dozens of times and if you are the least bit coordinated it can be done in 5 minutes flat. ogilvie transportation center - Google Maps I suggest using Clinton instead of Canal, both because there are fewer commuters in our way (feel like less of a salmon swimming upstream) and because when you exit Union Station on the Clinton Side you will better position yourself to enter Oligive via the the main Madison entrance while most AM commuters will be using he Riverside Plaza walkways...
With all due respect to BRU67, if you're young and renting (buying may be a different matter) in the near west burbs, you really shouldn't look anywhere else but Oak Park (maybe north Forest Park.) This means taking Union Pacific West Metra line. Luckily, the UP-W and the UP-N (the line going to Evanston) both terminate in Chicago at Ogilvie making the trek from Union Station unnecessary.

Again, have to emphasize that if the job in Evanston isn't anywhere near a Metra station, this whole live in Oak Park, commute to Evanston is a non-starter.

Further caveat, that for people who really, really want the true urban experience, Wicker Park may be worth the awful commute to Oak Brook.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
With all due respect to BRU67, if you're young and renting (buying may be a different matter) in the near west burbs, you really shouldn't look anywhere else but Oak Park (maybe north Forest Park.) This means taking Union Pacific West Metra line. Luckily, the UP-W and the UP-N (the line going to Evanston) both terminate in Chicago at Ogilvie making the trek from Union Station unnecessary.

Again, have to emphasize that if the job in Evanston isn't anywhere near a Metra station, this whole live in Oak Park, commute to Evanston is a non-starter.
So lets say my job is near a station and we lived out in Oak Park/Forest Park. What train routes would I take and how long would you estimate the commute?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
...Further caveat, that for people who really, really want the true urban experience...
No. A true "urban experience" would be living near Homan and Division in Humboldt Park and commuting to Oak Brook and Evanston.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmaster414 View Post
If so, please send me the links. I have been unable to find this particular scenario via traditional search methods.
I understand. Sometimes things do not come up easily. But if you would have just searched for "Oak Brook" in the Chicago and Chicago burb forum you would have found at least half of the threads I have listed below fairly easily.

These are basically the same question you asked or almost exact:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-work-out.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-oakbrook.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...area-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...edgebrook.html

Not all of these are the exact situation you asked about but they will help you with some info in general things:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...k-further.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rrenville.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...live-city.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...oak-brook.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...live-more.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-commute.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-question.html

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-08-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Chnaged the order of threads

Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If you got on the 7:31 from Oak Park you would be at Oligivie at 7:49 and could stroll over to the platform with the 7:52 and be at Evanston Davis St at 8:16. Going home the 5:43 from Davis St would drop you at Oligivie at 6:03 and you could loll over to the 6:10 with drops back in OP at 6:26..
Union Pacific / West (UP-W) Schedule

Metra Union Pacific North (UP-N) Schedule

I think you can figure out the same steps for other towns...

Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerfire View Post
i understand. Sometimes things do not come up easily. But if you would have just searched for "oak brook" in the chicago and chicago burb forum you would have found at least half of the threads i have listed below fairly easily.

These are basically the same question you asked or almost exact:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-work-out.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-oakbrook.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-commute.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-question.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...live-more.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...area-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...edgebrook.html

not all of these are the exact situation you asked about but they will help you with some info in general things:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...k-further.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rrenville.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...live-city.html
thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If you got on the 7:31 from Oak Park you would be at Oligivie at 7:49 and could stroll over to the platform with the 7:52 and be at Evanston Davis St at 8:16. Going home the 5:43 from Davis St would drop you at Oligivie at 6:03 and you could loll over to the 6:10 with drops back in OP at 6:26..
Union Pacific / West (UP-W) Schedule

Metra Union Pacific North (UP-N) Schedule

I think you can figure out the same steps for other towns...
excellent , thank you!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:

Further caveat, that for people who really, really want the true urban experience, Wicker Park may be worth the awful commute to Oak Brook.
And with all due respect right back, I disagree. Oak Park and north Forest Park don't own the regional rental market for young people. Berwyn has many rentals in north Berwyn within walking distance to the L and FitzGerald's (as well as apartments along the Metra in the Depot District), and Riverside has many reasonably affordable rental buildings right by the Metra in its downtown. I think any one of the four communities would work in the right location and for the right rental rate. All of the four communities are a short enough distance from each other for convenient restaurant, bar and entertainment sharing.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
btw -- I disagree that switching from a Union Station line to an Oligivie line is a 15 minute add-on -- I have personally done this dozens of times and if you are the least bit coordinated it can be done in 5 minutes flat. ogilvie transportation center - Google Maps I suggest using Clinton instead of Canal, both because there are fewer commuters in our way (feel like less of a salmon swimming upstream) and because when you exit Union Station on the Clinton Side you will better position yourself to enter Oligive via the the main Madison entrance while most AM commuters will be using he Riverside Plaza walkways...
That's true - it is possible to do, but in planning any regular commute I'd give 15 minutes. Metra is generally on time, but it isn't unusual for trains to run 5-10 minutes late. Especially when there is a snow or thunderstorm. Both trains I took today were about 7 minutes late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago