Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM

103 posts, read 91,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Even in the City's TIF "Milwaukee Corridor Plan" Logan Square is indicated going up to Belmont:

"The Fullerton-Milwaukee TIF encompasses portions of the major
commercial corridors in Logan Square: West Armitage Avenue from
North Ridgeway to North Milwaukee Avenue, West Fullerton
Avenue from North Kimball Avenue to North Mozart Street, West
Belmont Avenue from North Tripp Avenue to North Hamlin Avenue,
and Milwaukee Avenue from West Homer Street to West School Street."

Caution-PDF (page 6):

http://www.flores1stward.com/portals...ly%2015%20.pdf
That's funny, figure 1. on page 4 lists the northern boundary as Diversey. It clearly states that Bemont is in the Avondale neighborhood. Guess you must have missed that page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid and Nancy View Post
That's funny, figure 1. on page 4 lists the northern boundary as Diversey. It clearly states that Bemont is in the Avondale neighborhood. Guess you must have missed that page.
That is the community area boundaries in that figure.

Notice how Wicker Park and Bucktown are not listed.

I guess you do not know how to read and decifer maps.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Couldn't ask for a more crystal-clear case of why any "neighborhood" map is to be looked at with skepticism.

Neighborhoods and Community Areas are indeed two separate concepts, but the big difference is that people trying to wrest their influence over neighborhood boundaries usually have an agenda.

I know all these people, and the ironic part about it is not a one of them live in Logan Square proper.

As I've stated in numerous threads, lots of people are getting priced out of Logan Square and are moving to Avondale - that doesn't mean Avondale is becoming Logan Square any more than the waves of Lincoln Parkers and Lake View residents who moved to Roscoe Village made Roscoe Village LP or LV.

I would argue that Avondale has had an identity unique from Logan Square for its entire existence, and its southern boundary line of Diversey reflects the neighborhood as well as its community area demarcation.

Of course, since I spent time growing up in Logan Square (divorced parent, other was in LV), and have spent 36 of my 38 years living between Diversey and Belmont, what the hell would I know, right?

The thing is, stretching Logan Square to Belmont on the north and Pulaski on the west makes Logan Square an utterly meaningless concept, as does stretching Lincoln Park to the "Lincoln Park Target" at Elston and Logan.

This stuff all matters - it matters because of politics, and because who is in perceived to "represent" a neighborhood area translates into decisions and dollars.

Who Is Logan Square? | The Arts | Chicago Reader

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 PM

trouble a brewin'... methinks that Colon is likely guilty, but that this is also politically motivated:

Rey Colon faces elections board inquiry - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM

hmm, whatcha all think about this "urban orchard" concept?

Public meeting August 17 re: Logan Square public plaza « Peopling Places

intriguing, but I think this proposed location is terrible - they're gonna have to gate it off to keep grubby little hands off of the fruit.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
hmm, whatcha all think about this "urban orchard" concept?

Public meeting August 17 re: Logan Square public plaza « Peopling Places

intriguing, but I think this proposed location is terrible - they're gonna have to gate it off to keep grubby little hands off of the fruit.
I'll be there tomorrow evening to hear what residents have to say.

I think that the idea of an orchard is strange. If it isn't maintained by the parks district then there will be no daily "park checks" which means that there'll be a good deal of crime and drug use happening within the orchard. Also, if neighbors are not dedicated to picking every fruit before it falls and immediately removing fallen fruit, the already serious rat problem in Logan Square will only get worse.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I'll be there tomorrow evening to hear what residents have to say.
Yay! So will I. I'm worried that this will be a giant love-in, based on the conversations I've had with people -- and the fact that they're doing very little outreach beyond foodie types who are thinking with their tummies, not their brains.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Should C-D posters wear a yellow carnation in their lapels?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
I don't really get why we want to put an orchard in the city in the first place.

Although there are many complaints about the city of Chicago, 'not enough orchards' does not tend to be one of them.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't really get why we want to put an orchard in the city in the first place.

Although there are many complaints about the city of Chicago, 'not enough orchards' does not tend to be one of them.
Actually, I do think Chicago kids would really benefit from learning more about where real food comes from. I read lots of comments here about people griping about how poor/obese folks eat too much McDonald's, etc., and getting people to understand how real food now gets processed to become "fast food" is a start to getting them properly disgusted by the whole agribusiness scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago