Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,535 times

Advertisements

With an effort to keep race out of the conversation, I'd really like to know all of your thoughts on what can be done to improve the south side of Chicago. For the most part, and all of you Chicagoans know what I mean, generally anywhere from Cermak all the way down to Ford Heights have much lower property values and are less desirable places to live than downtown and the near north areas.

It's really a shame, because so many people immediately block out half of the city when it comes to trying to find a place to live. If we could improve this area, it would increase property values. This would increase the tax base, and make the city more money. Although it would require some initial investment committed upfront, it would be so worth it in 10-15 yrs.

I don't know of any other city that is so segregated and different in this way, literally north and south.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Nothing can be done. I like my low rent and general lack of hipsters just fine.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
"What can be done about the South Side?"

Lock up about half the population (of the south side) or isolate them onto a Pacific island or Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakinloot View Post
...I don't know of any other city that is so segregated and different in this way, literally north and south.

Thoughts?
You must have not traveled much in your life.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,535 times
Avengerfire, you appear to be a very angry, bitter, and potentially insecure person who has to take out personal anger on a message board.

To respond, I travel 50% of my life for work and have been to every major US city. I study the population and demographics patterns, and Chicago is the most extreme. Thanks for playin

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Avengerfire, you appear to be a very angry, bitter, and potentially insecure person who has to take out personal anger on a message board.

To respond, I travel 50% of my life for work and have been to every major US city. I study the population and demographics patterns, and Chicago is the most extreme. Thanks for playin
Well, if you're serious, you could begin by reading every other south side thread on this particular sub-forum.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:

dude, you're a noob here, which is fine, so let me say that posts and threads regarding the South Side pops up here a lot and I think folks here are tired of rehashing the same old conversations, especially since many deteriorate over time into Chicago bashing and folks digging up stats to prove/disprove claims (for example, someone will likely pull up states stating Chicago is not the most segregated city...again). this board has had way too many trolls and newbies who start such hot topic threads and who come out swinging at other posters are looked at w/ suspicion, at least by me

Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM

367 posts, read 1,206,036 times
Quote:
With an effort to keep race out of the conversation, I'd really like to know all of your thoughts on what can be done to improve the south side of Chicago.
The South Side must be eliminated for the city of Chicago to thrive.

Maybe we could outlaw anyone living below the South Branch and Canal. I know they tried to do this by tearing down the high-rise projects, but they obviously stopped short as there are many thousands of lost souls still living down there. Time to finish the job. All that is missing is the political will. Speed limits on the Ryan would rise to 120 mph to allow south suburbanites to transit the abandoned urban prairie quickly. All lanes would go express as there would be no exits between about 18th and 119th Sts.

Too bad we can't make some sort of pact with God. Man, imagine if some giant volcano just sprouted up at around 75th and Ashland, and just buried the South Side under 20 feet of ash and rubble, Pompeii style. That would be handy. So long as the destruction stopped at around Cermak to the north. We could take a page from the Italians and build a better society on top of the old one, two stories up. More like the North Side. Like this time, we'll definitely make guns and drugs ILLEGAL down there.

Otherwise, the only remaining remaining option is to relocate Madison St. to what is currently 13800 south. This is probably the most cost-effective solution, and considering the stain that the South Side has been on the city for decades, I can't figure out why they didn't do this a long time ago.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Meatpuff for Cook County Prez!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,891 times
Quote:
The dangers of over indulging in "Hatorade"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago