Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 30,632 times

Advertisements

I'll be working in the loop starting in mid-July and will be looking for apartments this weekend. I was wondering if I could get some advice on prices, safety, and commute to dowtown on the neighborhoods on the North Side. I'm looking for a cheap 1 bedroom apt ($600-700) with a reasonable commute (less than 30 min) on the train in a safe neighborhood. I've gotten some advice from co-workers about:

- Edgewater: Close to lake which is a plus. Seems cheaper from what I've seen online. How long is the commute?

- Lincoln Square: I heard this was cheaper with a good commute on the Brown (?)

- Lincoln Park: Maybe more expensive but sounds like a shorter commute and nice scenery (lake)

- Wicker Park: Also expensive but easy commute.

Any feedback on these neighborhoods or any others with an easy commute and $600-700 1BR apt range would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcummins View Post
I'll be working in the loop starting in mid-July and will be looking for apartments this weekend. I was wondering if I could get some advice on prices, safety, and commute to dowtown on the neighborhoods on the North Side. I'm looking for a cheap 1 bedroom apt ($600-700) with a reasonable commute (less than 30 min) on the train in a safe neighborhood. I've gotten some advice from co-workers about:

- Edgewater: Close to lake which is a plus. Seems cheaper from what I've seen online. How long is the commute?

- Lincoln Square: I heard this was cheaper with a good commute on the Brown (?)

- Lincoln Park: Maybe more expensive but sounds like a shorter commute and nice scenery (lake)

- Wicker Park: Also expensive but easy commute.

Any feedback on these neighborhoods or any others with an easy commute and $600-700 1BR apt range would be helpful. Thanks!
what part of the loop are you commuting to? the red line is usually the fastest way to get downtown (fewer stops and it goes straight south). but if you're working in the western part of the loop the brown line might be more convenient. also check out the latest on the brown line construction, as some stops have been inaccessible.

i think edgewater is your cheapest option as it's still gentrifying. there are many nursing homes in the area (where mental pts live), so you will encounter edgier types there. but i think it's safe enough. i believe lincoln square is basically already gentrified and is pricier.

lincoln park is as gentrified as it gets, and you'll pay for the amenities and proximity to downtown. wicker park is in the closing stages gentrification and getting more and more expensive. it caters more to the hipster crowd. it's off the blue line.

also, wicker park tends to have pretty small apartments.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 30,632 times
I'll be working in the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on S. Wacker. I've been leaning towards Edgewater based on what I've read/

How is the commute from Edgewater to the Loop? I saw something about the Red Line having construction and the trip downtown is over an hour now

Is there a Metra stop near Edgewater?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Don't know about a Metra stop, but if you live close to Sheridan Road and north of Foster Avenue, the 147 Express bus might be a good alternative to the Red Line. It runs express (no stops) from Foster Avenue to the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue) via the Outer Drive, so the trip should be pretty quick (of course, there might be traffic sometimes, but it's typically not as bad as on other Chicago-area expressways).

Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
You can probably really only find that rent in the Edgewater or Lincoln Square neighborhoods (Lincoln Park/Wicker, you are looking at around $1000). There is construction, impacting both the Red and Brown lines right now. Lincoln Square is really nice, but either commute will probably take up at least 1-1.5 hours in the worst of it. You may be able to find a small studio that is more reasonable in terms of commute. Check out craigslist. you can also use an apartment finding service (like homestead group, apartment finders, or apartment people) and they can help

Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM

96 posts, read 647,153 times
out of all those choices, definitely go with Edgewater. The rent is not so high and the square footage is decent.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM

180 posts, read 378,378 times
Lincoln Park is lame unless you're a college kid and/or like to go to bars.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Edgewater is lovely and being close to the lake is great, but be forewarned it's far away from basically everything. The 147 bus is good for getting to downtown if you go to work on the early side but the commute ranges wildly with traffic (ie 25 minutes to 1 hour). Door to door it takes me 1 hour to get downtown and I live less than a 2 minute walk from the L.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:40 PM

96 posts, read 647,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
Edgewater is lovely and being close to the lake is great, but be forewarned it's far away from basically everything. The 147 bus is good for getting to downtown if you go to work on the early side but the commute ranges wildly with traffic (ie 25 minutes to 1 hour). Door to door it takes me 1 hour to get downtown and I live less than a 2 minute walk from the L.
you're right, but he/she might have to compromise. It's either you live closer and pay more rent for a smaller space, or live a little further, take more time commuting but having a nicer place to live and a beautiful area.

Tough choices, I know

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I did a quick search on craiglist and was unable to find a one bedroom apartment for 700 or under in wicker park or east village so I don't know that it will be an option (I don't doubt that if you searched long and hard you'd find one though, I have one and a friend of mine has one as well, they do exist, but are few and far between, and small). I do agree that it seems that apartments in wicker park/east village tend to be a bit smaller than other parts of Chicago I've lived in (seriously, what is up with the 7x9 bedrooms with no closets, this is the second one I've had). That being said, I really like this area of the city better than most any area I've lived in up until now, even if I have to squeeze myself into a 7x9 bedroom.

Edgewater will probably be your best bet for the price. Lincoln Park is even more expensive and Lincoln Square is pretty expensive too. You might consider Ravenswood, if you get a place within walking distance of the Lawrence Metra stop, you'll have a very quick commute to the LOOP, I used to do that when I lived up there, it was great (but if you ride the 'el' it won't be that quick).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: