Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM

92 posts, read 311,152 times

Advertisements

I know there are many variables. My friend and her husand are considering a job offer in Chicago. This couple wants to live in a very safe, close-in neighborhood such as Lincoln Park or Lakeview or a very good in an updated, upgraded apartment with 2 baths, central air/heat, dishwasher, and garage parking for at least 1 of their 2 cars and a reserved spot indoor or out for 2nd car. They need 2 cars for work. They don't need a really luxurious life but do want to attend a lot of social, networking events and fundraisers to meet people and eat out a few nights a week (mostly casual restaurants). And they may have 1 child in the near future. Would $150,000 be sufficient or tight? Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,978,273 times
can a couple live in a safe 2bed apartment with parking making 150k? Seriously? Chicago may be expensive but its not expensive

Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM

104 posts, read 288,942 times
I think it depends on where they are coming from to really compare the kind of lifestyle they have to what they are hoping to have in Chicago.

My wife and I just moved back to Chicago after living in the DC area for the last 6 years. Combined in DC, we were making around $160,000 annually. Coming back here, my wife is actually making more than she made there. I, on the other hand, will be taking a significant pay cut. Once I start one of the two jobs I'm being offered, we will be making anywhere from about $105,000 to about $125,000 a year combined. I believe we will be living quite comfortably at either end of that spectrum.

Previously, we were living about 45 minutes from the city of DC and paying about $1000 more a month for housing in the DC area than we are paying now that we are living in the city of Chicago. We had no yard; something we now have. Our house here is even bigger and nicer than the house we had in the DC area. We've got 3 BR, 2 BA, with upgraded kitchen. We also had to drive about 20 minutes to even get to a decent casual sit-down restaurant. We are living in the Logan Square area of Chicago, which might be a little cheaper than where your friends are looking, but we are still in a good part of town with plenty of excellent restaurants and bars within just 1-2 blocks. We own 2 cars and have a parking pad for 2-3 cars included in the cost of our rent; I do find though that we rarely use our cars these days.

I think that your friends would be able to live quite comfortably in a good/safe part of the city on a $150,000 income. I'm not overly familiar though with the cost of living in the parts of town your friends are looking at. We also go out to nice restaurants about 2-3 times a week.

One thing that helps a little is to use this handy little calculator to compare cost of living in two locations - Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

104 posts, read 288,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
can a couple live in a safe 2bed apartment with parking making 150k? Seriously? Chicago may be expensive but its not expensive
I should have just saved myself a lot of typing and just said that.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM

92 posts, read 311,152 times
Well, they do want a very updated, renovated apartment (new appliances, wood floors, washer/dryer in the unit), garage parking and they do want to be in one of the most expensive neighborhoods. Also, they will have 2 cars which I hear can be pricey in Chicago.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,978,273 times
well lets say a nice 2br in lincoln park goes for 2k? Throw in an extra parking space, utilities we are at 2500 bucks a month for their place. Thats 30k a year. After taxes they have another 60k a year to spend on whatever. If neither of them have a gambiling or drug problem they will be fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,099,406 times
your "whatever" includes a hell of a lot of everyday costs that aren't exactly fun and games.

If you live relatively simply and have no kids, 150 should be more than fine. Once you throw kids in the mix, you're broke no matter what you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
well lets say a nice 2br in lincoln park goes for 2k? Throw in an extra parking space, utilities we are at 2500 bucks a month for their place. Thats 30k a year. After taxes they have another 60k a year to spend on whatever. If neither of them have a gambiling or drug problem they will be fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,538,417 times
My ex and I had a combined income about in that range (a little lower but pretty close after adjusting for inflation.) You'd be surprised how quickly you can burn through that kind of money if you don't watch your budget. The opportunities to spend money in this town are practically limitless. We didn't live a luxurious lifestyle but we lived well and did pretty much whatever and whenever we wanted. But in the end we didn't have a lot to show for it. So yes it's possible for a childless couple to live comfortably on $150K here, but it's also deceptively easy to spend every bit of that money if you don't pay attention to your spending habits.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,144,303 times
I wonder if Lincoln Park is really the best place to move if you need to have 2 cars in order for both to commute to work.

There are quite a few other very nice urban neighborhoods where it make more sense.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,707,365 times
Just saw a similar thread in Suburbs forum about homes in suburbs like Wilmette/Winnetka.

150k/yr is fine if you're just looking for an apt in the Lincoln Park or Lakeview and don't have kids. Updated single family homes in some of the most expensive suburbs of Chicago are a different story, along with raising kids in Lincoln Park.

I agree with the above about 2 cars for commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago