Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 28,663 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot about Chicago suburbs and I was wondering about the cost of housing / living and the commute.

I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and I am thinking of moving to IL. I have very little knowledge of Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. I was hoping someone could give me some insight.

If I was willing to commute approximately 45 mins to Chicago what suburbs should I look into? Also, what is the cost of homes is those suburbs?

What is the public transit like in Chicago? What is the cost of a monthly pass of the train system? Is it reliable?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
a 45 minute commute would give you just about any environment you wanted. Did you want to live a new subdivision or an older established town?

Also the suburb you pick has a lot to do with where your job is. Even if you are working downtown, you could be doing yourself a disservice by picking a neighborhood/suburb with a train line who's main station is nowhere near your office.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 28,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
a 45 minute commute would give you just about any environment you wanted. Did you want to live a new subdivision or an older established town?

Also the suburb you pick has a lot to do with where your job is. Even if you are working downtown, you could be doing yourself a disservice by picking a neighborhood/suburb with a train line who's main station is nowhere near your office.
I think I would prefer a new subdivision but I'm open to an older established town. At this point I don't know where I would work in Chicago as I'm just fact finding. I'm trying to narrow my search to a few towns to get an idea of housing costs. What kind of home could one afford if they're willing to commute 45min and spend approximately $300K on a home.

Also, if you could provide me with a list of headhunters/recruiters for advertising that would be great. I work for one of the largest media agencies in NYC and would like to see what opportunities are available in Chicago.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
Arlington Heights, Mt Prospect buffalo Grove schaumburg or any burb around the i-294 tollway area are pretty safe bets to get aclamated, since you do not know where your job will be, you could end up working in the suburbs. And most of the suburban office campus' are around i-294 or close to it.

Unfortunately $300g is not going to get you that house on a hill but it will get you a nice ranch in an older subdivision to get you started at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago