Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 PM

35 posts, read 95,989 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm a recent college graduate living at home in the Chicago suburbs. I will be starting a job soon in the city which my starting salary will be 42K before taxes. The position is likely going to be long term and my salary will increase as time goes on.

Since it looks like I will be in the Chicago area for a long time (and I'm happy about that!), I was thinking of living at home and commuting for a couple years and save up on a down payment for a condo in the city. I really like the vibe of the Wicker Park/Bucktown/Ukrainian Village areas and would love to live there. I also wouldn't mind living in a place like South Loop, West Loop, or Old Town.

I was wondering what the going rate of 2 bedroom condos in those areas is. How much can I expect to spend on a down payment?

I'd like to live in a nice condo, meaning hardwood floors + balcony + granite counter tops.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Screw the condo. Get a house.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Have you heard of a little thing called the Internet? Try realtor.com or trulia.com

Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
At your salary in those particular areas with your particular home requirements, sure you can get a condo but it might be a fixer upper.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
To the OP - my girlfriend makes about what you are making, and it will be very difficult for you to buy any kind of 2br/2ba on the salary you are talking about, unless you come to the table with at least $200,000 or more, for a down payment.

She was looking at a 2br/2ba in Wicker Park over the weekend - they are asking $398,000. I imagine it will probably sell for $325,000. Based on your salary level, you could get a mortgage for probably not more than $120,000. Which means that if you were going to buy that property and get a sales price of $325,000, you would finance $120,000 of that, and then have to come up with the other $205,000 in cash, out of pocket, as a down payment.

And to be honest, 42K is a small salary for living in the city, at least in the popular areas like lakeview, WP, etc. You can rent places to live that are somewhat older, or small, but you still wont have much money left over at the end of the month, and hardly any left over for saving up money to buy a condo.

If I were you, I would just rent something small for now, live within your means and as your income grows over the years, save that extra money for the down payment. It might take 5 or 10 years before you can actually buy something, but when you finally get there, it will be worth it.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
If you have the oppportunity to can stay at home and save money for awhile. do so. The one thing you should understand is real estate taxes in Illinois are horrendous and simple home repair is not generally cheap. In the end you may decide that not owning is the better option.

Also, if you stay at home now you will have more time to investigate different neighborhoods that appeal to you. A condo with a lake view might be sweeter if someone else owns it. Give yourself time; you don't have to be in rush to make a decision and this is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago