Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Marijuana Be Legalized in Illinois?
Yes 41 87.23%
No 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-WAY View Post
Only if they make CONSEALED CARRY LEAGAL
Might want to learn to spell it, sir, before you lobby for it.

Great, I'll have a bunch of people on a substance that makes a good percentage paranoid, and then they have the ability to carry concealed firearms.

Sounds like a great recipe for a functional society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I agree with Chi-Town on this one. Why, among thousands of vices that are legal (and should be in my opinion), would marijuana be singled out as one of a handful to make illegal? Of course one shouldn't endanger the health of an infant, but there are an infinity of ways to do that which aren't illegal when used responsibly. Seems really odd and illogical to me. In the meantime, anyone who wants to smoke does. Sometimes it is important to restrict personal freedoms for the greater good, but I like to see a solid argument first before voting to do so. My default position is to limit regulation of personal behavior.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Medical Marijuana*should be legalized nationally, but... grown, harvested and controlled on the local level as strictly as it is in California. The patient gets the benefit of a safe drug.
It is actually abused out here, strictly ...that is funny. There are plenty of quack doctors out here that will give you a license. People go around and there is a quote "I'm legal dude". Also lots of the growers sell on the side. The "pot banks" are right next to convenience stores, etc. It does seem to boost the economy for grow shops though. Along with people that come to "trim". I've probably met over a dozen people who shouldn't have a card, I'm talking about people in their 20s who were already pot heads and just went and got a card, not people that are terminally ill. They get like a leg sprain and use it as an excuse to get pot. Or go tell somebody they are depressed, get migraines, etc. Bam, smoke all the pot you want. Trust me, this area has enough unmotivated pot heads already without adding a free ticket to smoke. It's even hard walking around some of the local stores sometimes b/c people seem *blazed* and just kind of stand around and talk in the aisles. It is nothing like Humboldt though. Getting a drivers license is probably harder than getting a pot card, b/c you have to deal with the crappy DMV and a 3 hour wait.

But yeah I am for medical marijuana, as well as decriminilization for carrying, no problem. Legalize? No. It won't fly and then the blue states will lose the entire other areas of the country in support.

Last edited by grapico; 05-20-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This thread should be moved to the Illinois forum.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
I am 100% pro-legalization.

Marijuana is no where NEAR as bad for your body as alcohol, tobacco, etc.

The only reason it was made illegal in the first place, was because DuPont lobbied Congress to make it illegal, because DuPont started making a nylon rope which couldnt compete with ropes made out of hemp (the hemp ropes are stronger).

Old 05-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Now I have a questions for you. Do you believe it is healthy and perfectly normal to smoke pot with your 3 month old baby in the same room? Do you believe it is alright to add whisky in babies milk? How about being high on drugs and nursing? How about your wife using illegal drugs all the time she is pregnant? Sad to say this is more common than believed.
These questions are irrelevant to the discussion. No one is condoning smoking while your baby is in the room (although I know there are people who do that with tobacco cigarettes, which are legal). Where are you coming up with "putting whiskey in babies milk" Huh?? Who is doing that?? What does that have to do with marijuana? I do not know anyone who would do that and if they would, they are not fit parents; it has nothing to do with whether marijuana is legal or not. Whiskey is legal, by the way, and I have never heard of anyone doing this.

Based on your arguments here, we should make anything illegal which might, somewhere, have the ability to somehow harm someone. "We should make cars illegal, because you might push your baby's stroller behind a car, and the baby might breathe that carbon monoxide coming out of the tailpipe. We should also ban things like, pencils, because a drunk parent might be carrying one, and fall down, and stab the baby in the face." I'm not trying to be jerky here, Linicx, Im just playing devil's advocate...

Also, why are you so anti-marijuana? If I were to be anti-anything, it would be anti-fast food. The HCFS in those foods are some of the worst food products ever made.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM

high fructose corn syrup is worse for u now than marijuana? now i've heard it all. better start banning fruit too b/c they also have fructose/glucose bonds. the extreme left actually DO want to ban HFCS and legalize marijuana though. read a science book instead of left propaganda...lets start pandering the human liver to, its a virtual high fructose factory!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
high fructose corn syrup is worse for u now than marijuana? now i've heard it all. better start banning fruit too b/c they also have fructose/glucose bonds. the extreme left actually DO want to ban HFCS and legalize marijuana though. read a science book instead of left propaganda...lets start pandering the human liver to, its a virtual high fructose factory!
So, your science book tells you that your liver makes High Fructose CORN Syrup? Wow.

And yes, for the record, HFCS IS worse for you than marijuana.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
you certainly don't see scientific studies showing marijuana in a light this bad:

Study Links ADHD in Kids to Pesticide Exposure - TIME

Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
So, your science book tells you that your liver makes High Fructose CORN Syrup? Wow.

And yes, for the record, HFCS IS worse for you than marijuana.
LMAO

lets see, chemically active drug compound crossing blood brain barrier with psychoactive effects vs. fructose-glucose CHO isomer.

next up, lets ban salt and red meat and trans fat, oh wait they are pushing for that wack job agenda too. but yes by all means legalize pot. do you know how hypocritical that sounds? that is why nobody takes the extreme left agenda seriously.

Last edited by grapico; 05-20-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago