Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM

23 posts, read 30,277 times

Advertisements

Chicago seems to have a love hat relationship with Walmart. City council hates it, citizens love it. Any opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 PM

56 posts, read 267,050 times
They treat the Vendors very bad and I try to support a company that does most of its buying in USA.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 PM

782 posts, read 3,791,725 times
I am too boycotting wally world.Why shop at big box stores that ship 80% of products from china.That goes for the rest of them too.We are putting our own americans out of jobs.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,516,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I am too boycotting wally world.Why shop at big box stores that ship 80% of products from china.That goes for the rest of them too.We are putting our own americans out of jobs.
I also agree in part, but it really is our own faults. When unions are screaming of wanting companies to pay people $25 an hour to operate a punch press or some average machine, and give full benifits up the ying yang, then what is the company to do? Charge $50 for a matchbox car, $300 for a pair of sneakers, $ 6000 for a 25" television set, or ship their operation over seas where people are willing to work just to work? They are happy making enough $ to put food on the table, and are not looking to make enough to drive Mazzeratis, and wear all Armani like our union people here seem to want. I can understand wanting to make the big bucks... We all do, but we are pricing the American worker right out of the market. The mexicans are taking all the labor jobs in the US, India took all the phone and office stuff away from us, and now China is rapidly taking away all of our manufacturing. We better wake up is all I can say.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I also agree in part, but it really is our own faults. When unions are screaming of wanting companies to pay people $25 an hour to operate a punch press or some average machine, and give full benifits up the ying yang, then what is the company to do? Charge $50 for a matchbox car, $300 for a pair of sneakers, $ 6000 for a 25" television set, or ship their operation over seas where people are willing to work just to work? They are happy making enough $ to put food on the table, and are not looking to make enough to drive Mazzeratis, and wear all Armani like our union people here seem to want. I can understand wanting to make the big bucks... We all do, but we are pricing the American worker right out of the market. The mexicans are taking all the labor jobs in the US, India took all the phone and office stuff away from us, and now China is rapidly taking away all of our manufacturing. We better wake up is all I can say.
We have to earn a living wage to survive out here.The question is why executives are making 10s of million of dollars.Should the work force receive nice wages? We are the people who puts in the labor.Their jobs doesn't exist without us.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM

87 posts, read 119,614 times
I think Walmart is better suited to where the economy is doing better, such as Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas etc. in the south. Chicago & the rust belt are still tied to the dead unions of the fifties. That is why Walmart is hated in the North, and loved in the West (exclude Cali) & South. I love Walmart!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbob View Post
I think Walmart is better suited to where the economy is doing better, such as Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas etc. in the south. Chicago & the rust belt are still tied to the dead unions of the fifties. That is why Walmart is hated in the North, and loved in the West (exclude Cali) & South. I love Walmart!!!
Its better suited why because the wages are really low in the south.The job i do pays half of what i can make here.Some places in the south pays below our minium wages here for the same job.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,669,943 times
Kmart (as much as it can suck) and Target have way more products made in the USA than Walmart. As this is important to me, I avoid Walmart.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,956 times
[Not from Chicago, IL] I also try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible. Some of the policies disgust me and other things mentioned in this thread; but when I go back home, it's pretty much the only department store where you can get certain items.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,407,345 times
Look, I think WalMart sucks too, but as there is really only one WalMart in the city, and that's brand new, I don't know that this even belongs in the Chicago forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago