Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,043,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Think of it this way: A man saves another man from stubbing his toe on a rock... not really impressive... but a man saves another man from drowning in a lake... kinda impressive... Now what about a man who saves another man from a car about to blow up... more impressive!

The same with God.. If a good man is saved.. well.... YAY! but not terribly impressive. BUT if a serial killer is saved then that is impressive... HITLER being saved and humble before God shows that God can save even the worst of sinners...

Didn't Paul label himself the worst of sinners and yet he was impressed that God saved him.

Does that make sense?

The worst punishment for Hitler would be to love others and serve them.... IMO.

Therefore if you see Hitler in heaven wouldn't you be in awe? I know I would! and if God can conform even Hitler into his image then well, I know God is most powerful!
Great post! This seems to elude the thinking of so many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,943 times
Quote:
Think of it this way: A man saves another man from stubbing his toe on a rock... not really impressive... but a man saves another man from drowning in a lake... kinda impressive... Now what about a man who saves another man from a car about to blow up... more impressive!

The same with God.. If a good man is saved.. well.... YAY! but not terribly impressive. BUT if a serial killer is saved then that is impressive... HITLER being saved and humble before God shows that God can save even the worst of sinners...

Didn't Paul label himself the worst of sinners and yet he was impressed that God saved him.

Does that make sense?

Therefore if you see Hitler in heaven wouldn't you be in awe? I know I would! and if God can conform even Hitler into his image then well, I know God is most powerful!
I see your point with that but it is difficult to swallow. I know it is great when some rock star or entertainer becomes a Christian or a criminal converts but those people are still on earth and have a chance for God to work on them. Burning up millions, killing yourself and then showing up in paradise just seems odd to me.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,952,248 times
Quote:

Does that make sense?

Exactly!!!!!

Every life lived... a beautiful TESTIMONY to God's LOVE.

The big picture is so breathtakingly beautiful...
seriously. BREATHTAKING.
Knowing without a shadow of a doubt that LOVE is the MOST powerful, MOST TRANSFORMING thing in this universe. GOD is LOVE!

ALL will shout His praises.
Anything less than 100% would not give God glory.

Love conquers ALL.
SO FEW have faith in that.
But one day everyone will see for themselves.
and that thought brings a smile to my heart and great joy in my spirit.

I suppose it's a little carnal impatience...
just wanting everyone to have this peace.
This world is tough. I hate to see my brothers and sisters suffer or have distress for no reason. So many in torments... not understanding the power of our Creator's love.

peace ya'll..
sparrow

Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I see your point with that but it is difficult to swallow. I know it is great when some rock star or entertainer becomes a Christian or a criminal converts but those people are still on earth and have a chance for God to work on them. Burning up millions, killing yourself and then showing up in paradise just seems odd to me.
So you believe God is unable to remove sin from the most sinful of sinners even after they have died and been resurrected to judgement?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM

159 posts, read 175,223 times
Quote:
Well, burning in hell indefinitely after killing finite number of people may be even odder. Even if you get 100 years punishment for killing each individual that might add up to many years if one is like Hitler, but it's less than a moment in eternity.

Speaking of Hitler, one thing that no one admits is that God that would torture Jews who died in concentration camps would be a lot worse than him.

Of course as I am not a Christian, I believe it's also possible that no one deserves heaven or hell and that this world is all there is, but that's another story.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,008,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep, one does not need Jesus. Jesus is just a shortcut. But everyone will be saved. Jesus just makes it happen faster for some. No one is lost, despite what the Bible says.

Mormonism and Purgatory.

New Age theology.
The Bible tells you to cut off a body part that is causing you to sin.So,do you still have both eyes,all your fingers,arms,etc,etc?

Or does the definition of what is meant to be taken literally suddenly change if it is to be applied in earnest to YOU.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Well, burning in hell indefinitely after killing finite number of people may be even odder. Even if you get 100 years punishment for killing each individual that might add up to many years if one is like Hitler, but it's less than a moment in eternity.

Speaking of Hitler, one thing that no one admits is that God that would torture Jews who died in concentration camps would be a lot worse than him.

Of course as I am not a Christian, I believe it's also possible that no one deserves heaven or hell and that this world is all there is, but that's another story.
If I didn't believe in any God and that this world was all there is then I wouldn't be wasting one moment of my time on a forum talking about it. Therefore, I can safety bet that you believe deep down there must be more to life than just this world.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 AM

159 posts, read 175,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
If I didn't believe in any God and that this world was all there is then I wouldn't be wasting one moment of my time on a forum talking about it.
Maybe I am just interested in good discussion, learning more and having my ideas challenged?

Quote:
Therefore, I can safety bet that you believe deep down there must be more to life than just this world.
I am not saying that this world is all there is. I am just saying that this is possibility. One of many. I am not exactly Atheist, either.

Last edited by python87; 06-12-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
It is ODD... I don't deny that. As humans we don't consider sin and rebellion things people deserve to be saved from. We don't consider that the same as when someone is drowning for example.

But if you look at a drug addict, they are in a vicious cycle of depression and trying to escape from that depression. Trying to escape but they are deceived into thinking that the drugs will save them... it is just like a car about to blow up. At some point the drug addict will self-destruct and die.

The same thing with Hitler. Humans do things that benefit themselves. Hitler's drug was control and world domination by any means... but the result was still to self-destruct.

Should we exclude someone who is reckless and ends up trapped in a burning car? Do we just point and stare at them, saying they shouldn't have been so reckless and they deserve to die, or would we try to save the person anyway?

Hitler was a sad man. A broken man. That is how I see him at least. And if God can deliver one as evil and sad and broken as Hitler... then God really can do anything!

It is to God's glory to save even the worst of sinners, like Saul.. It shows his great power! How depressing would Christianity be (and is a times) if only the good man was saved? or only the moderately bad was saved.

Jesus came to heal the sick and seek and save the lost/destroyed. Jesus said it is not the healthy that need a physician... it is not the righteous man that needs his help. It is the downright awful sinner that needs his help.

Imagine if you were Hitler and the first thing you see after death is the millions of people you ordered to be slaughtered. How awful would it be to stand in front of God and all those people?

So Hitler is not rewarded but CHANGED. He will see his error and repent. It is just too bad he wasted his life in such a horrible manner. No one will ever forget how completely inhuman he was. That is his punishment. Perhaps every post, speech, slide show, movie.... ever made about his horrendous crimes against humanity will be sent straight to his "paradise" so that he can see and hear what people think of him here on earth... I don't know... what I do know is that I serve a God that wants all men (and women) to know him and that he can bring salvation to even the worst of sinners!

Jesus said to love your enemies because God is kind to the wicked..... (Luke 6:35)

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

823 posts, read 1,407,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Exactly!!!!!

Every life lived... a beautiful TESTIMONY to God's LOVE.

The big picture is so breathtakingly beautiful...
seriously. BREATHTAKING.
Knowing without a shadow of a doubt that LOVE is the MOST powerful, MOST TRANSFORMING thing in this universe. GOD is LOVE!

ALL will shout His praises.
Anything less than 100% would not give God glory.

Love conquers ALL.
SO FEW have faith in that.
But one day everyone will see for themselves.
and that thought brings a smile to my heart and great joy in my spirit.

I suppose it's a little carnal impatience...
just wanting everyone to have this peace.
This world is tough. I hate to see my brothers and sisters suffer or have distress for no reason. So many in torments... not understanding the power of our Creator's love.

peace ya'll..
sparrow
I too dislike seeing so many souls believing in the dark. Sparrow, there is a shift happening and the souls that have been awakened to the truth that Jesus spoke are increasing. They will tell us that we are of the dark but they cannot see that when God's Love abides within your soul there is no room for darkness to live - we have no fear because God's Love conquers all fear. The Good News is so simple and not complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity