Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,601,180 times

Advertisements

Some say not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by URperson View Post
The mainstream belief of Hell as a place of Eternal Torment is not from scripture. It is from faulty translation. God will save everyone though Jesus Christ in due time.
Gee what other doctrines are the result of faulty translation? Maybe Jesus is not the only way to God, but that idea is from "faulty translation"?

From what a lot of UR folk are saying, one could conclude that the KJV, NASB, NIV, NKJV, etc translations are faulty. So that sort of thinking could lead one to doubt that the Bible is trustworthy.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-14-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,121,146 times
The Bible might as well be a Wikipedia entry - randomly written and modified by users with agendas throughout history.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,044,314 times
The Bible is not God. It is God who can be trusted. And His Holy Spirit must lead each of us to truth. God can speak to us via the bible and yet God can speak to us through virtually anything else, nature, people, poetry, etc. God can speak to us through believers and unbelievers. It is the Spirit that gives life. The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. There comes a time in the life of each believer when he/she has learned to hear the voice of God.

The bible (as a text) cannot speak without the Spirit of God. That's why it can be twisted a million ways to Sunday by all manner of folks who read it. When it comes down to it - it is up to us to connect with and have a relationship with God through Christ. We cannot rely on others to teach us. Though God can teach us through others. The Spirit must always lead and teach through whatever He chooses to use.

That's the way I see it.

Heartsong

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,026,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
The Bible might as well be a Wikipedia entry - randomly written and modified by users with agendas throughout history.

I strongly agree!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,725,409 times
The Bible is God's breath, llving word, our food for LIFE in Him, every single written word of it is God's TRUTH !!
I don't care who writes the lies that it is not of God, mistranslation, etc. !!!

Blessings

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,225,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
The Bible is not God. It is God who can be trusted. And His Holy Spirit must lead each of us to truth. God can speak to us via the bible and yet God can speak to us through virtually anything else, nature, people, poetry, etc. God can speak to us through believers and unbelievers. It is the Spirit that gives life. The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. There comes a time in the life of each believer when he/she has learned to hear the voice of God.

The bible (as a text) cannot speak without the Spirit of God. That's why it can be twisted a million ways to Sunday by all manner of folks who read it. When it comes down to it - it is up to us to connect with and have a relationship with God through Christ. We cannot rely on others to teach us. Though God can teach us through others. The Spirit must always lead and teach through whatever He chooses to use.

That's the way I see it.

Heartsong
Post of the decade

/thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
See now? The URs cast doubt on the Bible as being reliable and it adds fuel to fire to the skeptics.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM

589 posts, read 1,564,753 times
The Bible is the inspired word of God. Even with all the different translations throughout history, the main idea is still intact. Watch this video, no way the phenomenon happened by accident, if just one chapter or a book is added or left out, it wouldn't work. Without a doubt the Bible is the real thing... you can bet your eternal life on it. Al Neal's Infinity Bible Code

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM

159 posts, read 175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
See now? The URs cast doubt on the Bible as being reliable and it adds fuel to fire to the skeptics.
If there is one idea that fuels skeptics (like me), it's something that I said multiple times already: that God entangled himself so much in rules that he can't even save good non-believers. Or that he allows other people to eternally change other people's eternal destinies by simply strategically killing them (kill baby before age of accountability for certain heaven or kill non-believer before he has chance to hear about Christ for certain hell). And I thought God was supposed to be omnipotent or something.

I have no real problem with Christians (UR or otherwise) who say that social responsibility and being good person is important in getting to heaven. It's those accept- Jesus- as- your- personal- lord- and- savior (or burn in hell) that I have problem with.

As for accuracy of the Bible. There are some obvious contradictions, like the accounts of death of Judas. Less obvious contradictions are usually interpreted away.

And with or without Universalism, there would be about 30000 denominations anyway.

Last edited by python87; 06-14-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
The Bible is God's breath, llving word, our food for LIFE in Him, every single written word of it is God's TRUTH !!
I don't care who writes the lies that it is not of God, mistranslation, etc. !!!

Blessings

Thus this thread. It seems each week I learn another disturbing part of the UR theology.

First--there is no eternal torment in hell-OK I can live with that. Spending eternity seperated from God or being destroyed is still a bad thing.

Next--everyone, even those who reject Christ, will be saved. Now that takes some real game playing with words and ignoring scripture that says otherwise.

And now, I learn that the Bible is full of mistranslations. Nevermind that we have over 20 major translations and they all...say..the same...things. I mean....how can over 500 Bible translators get it wrong? And what's even more amazing is that they all got it "wrong" in the same ways!!!

I do understand the need for the UR crowd to use the mistranslation card. Otherwise their theology won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity