Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So, I tried to post this in the main religion and philosophy forum but I was told it would be better to post this here. First of all, I'm going to put this out there - I am not a Christian. Reading through many of the threads - I have become curious about certain things regarding Hell. It seems that there are many differences of opinion among Christians regarding Hell - whether it exists or not, who will go there, who won't go there, how long people will go there for, etc. My questions are - and I am sincere in my curiosity - I have absolutely no intention of offending -
1. Why does it make a difference to you who will go to Hell and who won't? For instance - many of you probably believe that I will be going there, and that's okay with me. But isn't it my problem? It shouldn't effect your life. If it does - why?
2. Does it matter to you that other people don't believe in Hell? I mean, if you are right - then everyone else will find out eventually - right? Does it make a difference in your life that others don't believe in it?
3. Would it matter if there wasn't a Hell? I mean - you wouldn't live your life any differently - would you? I'm assuming that the way you live your life isn't only based on avoiding punishment - right? You would still continue on the path you were on regardless of the existence of Hell - wouldn't you?

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm just honestly curious. It seems that a lot of people spend a lot of time worrying about who is going to Hell and who believes in Hell. I would like to understand why it is so important.

Thank you very much!
Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi everyone! So, I tried to post this in the main religion and philosophy forum but I was told it would be better to post this here. First of all, I'm going to put this out there - I am not a Christian. Reading through many of the threads - I have become curious about certain things regarding Hell. It seems that there are many differences of opinion among Christians regarding Hell - whether it exists or not, who will go there, who won't go there, how long people will go there for, etc. My questions are - and I am sincere in my curiosity - I have absolutely no intention of offending -
1. Why does it make a difference to you who will go to Hell and who won't? For instance - many of you probably believe that I will be going there, and that's okay with me. But isn't it my problem? It shouldn't effect your life. If it does - why?
2. Does it matter to you that other people don't believe in Hell? I mean, if you are right - then everyone else will find out eventually - right? Does it make a difference in your life that others don't believe in it?
3. Would it matter if there wasn't a Hell? I mean - you wouldn't live your life any differently - would you? I'm assuming that the way you live your life isn't only based on avoiding punishment - right? You would still continue on the path you were on regardless of the existence of Hell - wouldn't you?

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm just honestly curious. It seems that a lot of people spend a lot of time worrying about who is going to Hell and who believes in Hell. I would like to understand why it is so important.

Thank you very much!
Peace!
You haven't offended anyone. At least not me. I think these are pretty legit and respectable questions that we all should be comfortable and secure in our faith to answer. However I will warn you, I'm not exactly known for being one of the nicer Christians on here. I'm actually pretty rude and blunt. So I apologize if this comes out rude. I just have to keep it real with you.

1. No it doesn't matter to me. I've stated a thousand times on here that I really could care less where anyone else is going after this life is over. My concern lies in my own salvation and how I'm going to see Jesus. However, I will tell you the consequences of your actions when your belittling and putting down the name of Jesus Christ. There are consequences for all the little comments and things you do that you THINK Jesus doesn't know about. What I will say to you is that watch what you say in this life. Because so far, if you don't know God exist or not, it's best not to say anything that would totally anger God in the chance that you find out he does exist. Kind of like those reality tv shows where someone says something racist or bias and gets away with it on the show but on the reunion, everyone comes after them and their comments get played back before a live audience and millions of viewers.

2. Not really. But what pisses me off is when people claim to believe in heaven but don't believe in hell. It's strange because these days, people will do ANYTHING to deny the existence of hell. I figured it's something psychological. Hell does not sound like a pleasant place ANYONE wants to be. To think that you would have to be there for the consequences of not following the rules and morals Jesus laid out for us, it makes people angry. I think that is the basis for unbelief. Hell. The fear of hell. It's the perfect reason not to believe in God. If I don't believe in God, I don't believe in hell, therefore there can't be any hell. So I don't have to listen to the bible. I'm gonna live my life, my way.

3. OF COURSE IT MATTERS! If there was no hell, I truly believe the world be in a corrupt and evil society to an extreme that we do not know of. I believe there would be no morals or common respect for the greater good or person.

Hopefully I answered your questions good. I'm just putting down my opinions on the matter. I'm not speaking for the whole Christian community but I'm just saying this is what I feel on what you asked me.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

Thank you very much!
Peace!
The mainstream belief of Hell as a place of Eternal Torment is not from scripture. It is from faulty translation. God will save everyone though Jesus Christ in due time.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Allenk893 - Thank you very much for your response. The only thing I want to say is the for #3 - I didn't mean how would it matter to society. I meant - how would it matter to you? Would you live YOUR life any differently?
I do have a different opinion in regards to your answer for #3. I think, seeing as how many people already do not believe that there is a Hell and they don't go around killing, raping, and pillaging - I do not think that our society would become evil and corrupt to a great extreme. I think that the evil doers will do evil regardless of there being a Hell - and the non-evil doers wouldn't do evil even if there wasn't a Hell. Heck, I wouldn't kill, steal, etc. - even if jails didn't exist. My conscience wouldn't allow it. But, like I said, that is just my opinion.
So, if God came to you and told you there were no Hell - would you change the way you live your life? I'm thinking you wouldn't but I'd like to hear your answer!
Thank you for your honesty. I always appreciate honesty.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:11 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,978 times
There is really no such thing as a "burning" hell where the wicked humans will be burn forever, this idea is totally false. The Bible reveals a future resurrection of all humans to face God on Judgment Day. The wicked humans will be cast into the Lake of Fire and they will die a second death. Only the fallen angels will be tormented in the lake because they were created immortal. Who Is Burning In Hell? - by Richard F. Ames

Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Oh - to clarify, I'm not asking about the definition of Hell. From my understanding, everyone seems to have a different intepretation of Hell. I'm more interested in hearing how you feel about the 3 questions I asked above.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,548 times
Quote:
Why does it make a difference to you who will go to Hell and who won't? For instance - many of you probably believe that I will be going there, and that's okay with me. But isn't it my problem? It shouldn't effect your life. If it does - why?
in my opinion the doctrine of endless hell maligns the name of God; of course if it were true also friends of mine would be in danger of this doom; but I also could not bear the fact that some poor arab boy would endlessly be tormented only because he was raised as a Muslim even if I had the assurance that all people I like and know personally would be saved, this is called 'compassion', I would have even pity with the devil - I have no objection against the doctrine of annihilation but endless torment is plainly sadistic, there are no words to describe this viciousness, it offends by sense for justice and my faith in God, with endless torment there would be no justness, and without justness there is nobody you could call God

if you had a Christian friend who believes in endless hell, it were at least a problem for him, not wanting you to suffer endlessly; Muslims believe we Christians go to hell, I don't mind about this either, so I understand your point here, if people believe you will burn evermore, it is their problem - not yours, as long as they are not right of course

Quote:
I don't care what others believe (though it is good to see that a significant minority of sincere Christians believe in universalism and ever have), especially clinging to the majority's opinion can be very dangerous, Jesus said we will recognize people by their fruits this what I try to do and I know the fruits of eternal tormentism can be very evil (see the middle ages and the stake burnings), it is important to consider both scripture and reason and even historical opinions/facts though I give tradition no actual authority, there were heretics already in the time of Paul, who knows which claimed authority was among them?

my intention to post here is to defend my point of view and provide information for everybody who has a sincere interest but I do not want to force my opinion on anyone

Quote:
even if there is a world to come, this life also has a great value - the (false, from my point of view) belief in hell can destruct a life in my opinion, so it does matter

I believe in remedial punishment in the world to come but I wouldn't live a different life if I wouldn't believe in the world to come

Quote:
I think, seeing as how many people already do not believe that there is a Hell and they don't go around killing, raping, and pillaging - I do not think that our society would become evil and corrupt to a great extreme.
I live in Europe where the idea of hell basically vanished from society, if would say that life in Europe is safer then in any other region of the world, just look at the middle ages and some modern Muslim countries what is happening there, in these societies virtually everybody believes in hell I guess

Jews never believed in endless punishment as a whole (ask a Rabbi if you don't believe), yet Jews have ever been a righteous and civilized people, at least more than many other peoples in my opinion, the Nazis on the other hand who killed 6 million Jews were often Catholics, at least nominal Catholics, a belief in hell does not create a better society for sure - I would even claim the opposite and say that the doctrine of endless torments corrupts and blackens the minds and hearts of men

Last edited by svenM; 06-13-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
There is really no such thing as a "burning" hell where the wicked humans will be burn forever, this idea is totally false. The Bible reveals a future resurrection of all humans to face God on Judgment Day. The wicked humans will be cast into the Lake of Fire and they will die a second death. Only the fallen angels will be tormented in the lake because they were created immortal. Who Is Burning In Hell? - by Richard F. Ames
Richard Ames most likely teaches Annhiliationism if this is the same Richard Ames that I recall from my days watching Herbert Armstrong and following the early Worldwide Church of God. But annhilationism is flawed for as I stated elsehwere. If annhilationism was true then Moses would have been content and not have desired to be blotted out of the book of life. But Moses was not content and desired to be blotted out of the book of life if God would not TAKE AWAY the sins of those that had sinned against Him. Obviously Moses continued service to the Lord is a testament that he new that God would one day remove all the sins of those that had sinned against God.

Exo 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.

There is no question that the Bible speaks of annhilationism but not of the work God started but of the annhilation of the "old man" in all of us.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
It make no diffrent to me about being concerned about hell , but a lot of people have questions about the belief, there are some beliefs that do not believe and contantly bring up the subject about the hell and if it exist or not, there are some humanist who do not believe in religion or that people have a right to believe in God or not....I wish that people would not plug up this forum with the subject of Hell and chose other subjects that are more beneficial to believers walk with Lord Jesus...

Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
It make no diffrent to me about being concerned about hell , but a lot of people have questions about the belief, there are some beliefs that do not believe and contantly bring up the subject about the hell and if it exist or not, there are some humanist who do not believe in religion or that people have a right to believe in God or not....I wish that people would not plug up this forum with the subject of Hell and chose other subjects that are more beneficial to believers walk with Lord Jesus...
I'm sorry that I plugged up your forum. In my defense though - I made the subject very clear in the title. So if it didn't interest you - you didn't have to read it.
I had some questions - so I thought I'd ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity