Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 AM

66 posts, read 75,201 times

Advertisements

As Christians...
those who have kids.. or if you plan to have kids.
Do you or would you lead them into believing in Santa claus? Just curious.

To me it is a silly thing that has become a big hype to make money and put a lot of focus on material things of the world... that's just me.

but as christians shouldn't we teach our kids to seek eternal things instead of earthly things? i am just curious to what you guys think
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM

494 posts, read 890,604 times
Not a christian but I don't believe in lying to kids just to entertain them. They can be as completely entertained by holidays without being lied to. I teach my kids that the holidays are for fun and family time, and when I tell them about Santa and the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy and halloween, I also tell them that it's all pretend stories just for fun and to learn ways of how to be nice to other people (like being a secret Santa).

Kids "get it" without lies. And it sets a bad precedent to tell them Santa is real.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 AM

66 posts, read 75,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Not a christian but I don't believe in lying to kids just to entertain them. They can be as completely entertained by holidays without being lied to. I teach my kids that the holidays are for fun and family time, and when I tell them about Santa and the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy and halloween, I also tell them that it's all pretend stories just for fun and to learn ways of how to be nice to ther people (like being a secret Santa).

Kids "get it" without lies. And it sets a bad precedent to tell them Santa is real.
Thanks for the response.
i agree

Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I loved believing in Santa Claus! I figured out he wasn't real later on - but I loved Santa! I don't think there is anything wrong with it while children are young. I'm not religious - but I don't see anything wrong with little kids feeling like there is some kind of magic in the world! They are innocent and have great imaginations - let them have their fun for a little while!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selinabetrue View Post
As Christians...
those who have kids.. or if you plan to have kids.
Do you or would you lead them into believing in Santa claus? Just curious.

To me it is a silly thing that has become a big hype to make money and put a lot of focus on material things of the world... that's just me.

but as christians shouldn't we teach our kids to seek eternal things instead of earthly things? i am just curious to what you guys think
thanks
Santa Clause has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. So if you don't want to blasphemy Jesus Christ and hold Cheap the following then I would put as much distance between Santa Clause and Christianity/Following Jesus as you can.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
I think it's a personal decision,based on what you feel is right for your family.personally I see no harm in it.you can always tell the kids santa is just for fun and make-believe.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,298 times
I told my husband I did not want to tell our kids that Santa was real, but to play along and teach them it was a game. My husband was way against that idea, so we stuck with the traditional Santa thing. I don't think it caused any damage to my kids, but I wish we had focused on the true meaning of Christmas more. My son was extremely intelligent and when he was 7 years old, he decided Santa was not real because "reindeer pulling Santa and the sleigh would defy the law of gravity."

Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Santa Claus comes from Saint Nicholas , a Bishop of Myra,, Born 270 A.D.,, died 347 A.D..in Lycia Asia Minor were Modern Turkey is today He was a miracle worker of Lord Jesus Christ and probably in Heaven with the Lord today........

Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
We decided to tell our kids the truth about Christmas. My relatives who had children of similar age were very upset with us for doing so. They were worried that our kids would "let the cat out of the bag and spoil their Christmas fun". I'm glad those days are behind us. After all is said and done, I don't know that either choice is right or wrong - it's a personal decision.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
I feel bad for kids who never grew up believing in Santa Claus. I am so glad my parents "tricked" me. I don't know ANY adults today who are scarred from believing in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity