Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,543 times

Advertisements

It is a question that I would put out there.

It seems to me that in a polite conversation, people would say that they would listen, but would they respect what is being said: actually consider it before making a judgment on it or would they automatically reject politely whatever that was said because they are mentally ill? Sort of like saying, "That's interesting..." or "I would not worry too much about it" even though they may not be worrying about it but just sharing the experience. Or would they just automatically say,"That is your mental illness again. Have you taken your medication today?"

I guess I am cynical because I don't think anyone would respect what is being shared by a mentally ill person. If they bear witness to a supernatural phenomenon, I would think people would regard it less than a "normal" person that is not labelled as mentally ill.

Would I listen to a mentally ill person? If I had trouble understanding the person, I would think that does not count, but if I understand what is being shared, then by His grace, I would lean on God for discernment because I do believe that there are dark forces in the world. I do not believe just because someone is labelled as mentally ill, that they are exempt from these dark forces. If anything, the dark forces would probably pick on them some more if they weren't in the first place.

Irregardless, I would pray with that person to Jesus Christ if they were anxious or fretting about anything whethor the matter is settled or not, granted that the opportunity is given as He is the One that leadeth me.

So what would you all say, honestly? Would you respect a person that is mentally ill as you would a normal person in regards to what they are sharing or not?

Should a mentally ill person just give up sharing anything of relevance because people will look through them as if they are not there?

This would probably be the ugliest OP in the forum, but it would be addressing an issue that "normal" and mentally ill people need to face.

Yeah, I know. Who is normal? But the issue is addressing those people that are labelled as mentally ill. Seems to me that just being labelled as such would cause depression if they weren't in one already.

Sorry in advance for bringing out the elephant in the room.

For those that are believers and labelled as mentally ill, at least Jesus is with us always and He will always listen to us because He cares for us.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Accordingly:

THREAD CLOSED.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-26-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity