Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

The Vatican today made the "attempted ordination" of women one of the gravest crimes under church law, putting it in the same category as clerical sex abuse of minors, heresy and schism.

The new rules, which have been sent to bishops around the world, apply equally to Catholic women who agree to a ceremony of ordination and to the bishop who conducts it.

Vatican makes attempted ordination of women a grave crime | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
So much I want to say, so much of my tongue I need to bite.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Good for the Vatican!! Keep telling it like it is.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 AM

^ Okay, maybe I will say just this: How is it the Catholic church elevates women to the status of SAINTS...and indeed, even prays to the Virgin Mary herself who was SURELY greater than any apostle and understands more about the Mass than anyone else in the church, including the pope...but yet declares it to be a grave sin for a woman to seek ordination as a priest, and also tells others they may not even advocate female priests?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
why can't a woman be ordained?

Putting the ordination of women under the same category a child sex abusers in the church.
Get real, and get with the times.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I think the Vatican has stated that putting it in the same article was not meant to mean it's an equal crime. Although I'm a pretty dang conservative Catholic I think the Vatican is, at times, a bit clueless about how it's messages will be heard/understood.

Still ordination of women is against the tradition and teaching of the Church. This isn't because women are inferior or bad or anything silly like that. However Catholic teaching is that women and men are different. That Christ is male, the Twelve Apostles were male, and that to be married to "mother Church" it makes sense to be male. Also from a psychological/evolutionary-psych perspective men have a greater need for a religious role-mode of their sex as men are more often estranged from their fathers than women are from their mothers. That many priests have not been remotely like role models is partly due to human frailty and partly due to a sadly sloppy screening process. (The writings of Popes for centuries are fairly clear only men of good character, and I believe they specifically mention that this means men who will not harm children, be ordained)

I guess in one sense the role of traditional Catholic women was as sisters and mothers, but there is flexibility to what that can mean. I'm not entirely unsympathetic those who want to state more about the strength and perseverance of Mother Mary. And in the New Testament we hear of women who run businesses (Lydia was a seller of purple, which I think means she likely was a wealthy merchant as purple was luxurious, and convert by Paul) or served the community in important ways. There's also the "Virgin Martyrs" who died rather than abandon their vow to Christ and submit to forced marriages, or just sex, to pagan men. Or much later Catherine of Siena criticizing the Pope. I'm not sure how to explain it without causing offense, but I think women are seen more as advisory and teaching than defining or hierarchical. I might have to think on this though as I'm not entirely satisfied with that as an explanation of what I mean.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the Vatican has stated that putting it in the same article was not meant to mean it's an equal crime. Although I'm a pretty dang conservative Catholic I think the Vatican is, at times, a bit clueless about how it's messages will be heard/understood.
the fact that it is even a "grave crime" is enough for me. How ridiculous.
Quote:
Still ordination of women is against the tradition and teaching of the Church. This isn't because women are inferior or bad or anything silly like that. However Catholic teaching is that women and men are different. That Christ is male, the Twelve Apostles were male, and that to be married to "mother Church" it makes sense to be male. Also from a psychological/evolutionary-psych perspective men have a greater need for a religious role-mode of their sex as men are more often estranged from their fathers than women are from their mothers.
Huh? so women are excluded from being able to have the same equal standing in the chuch? Because traditionally the men have had a less role model? No. This is not a valid argument.

Quote:
That many priests have not been remotely like role models is partly due to human frailty and partly due to a sadly sloppy screening process. (The writings of Popes for centuries are fairly clear only men of good character, and I believe they specifically mention that this means men who will not harm children, be ordained)
Whist I agree that it is due to depravity on behalf of the offending priest/man, it is unconscionable for the church to continue with the line that it is the "human frailty". I am sorry - the church is rotten from the top -down with the coverups and moving on of priests who have offended, worldwide.
Quote:

I guess in one sense the role of traditional Catholic women was as sisters and mothers, but there is flexibility to what that can mean. I'm not entirely unsympathetic those who want to state more about the strength and perseverance of Mother Mary. And in the New Testament we hear of women who run businesses (Lydia was a seller of purple, which I think means she likely was a wealthy merchant as purple was luxurious, and convert by Paul) or served the community in important ways. There's also the "Virgin Martyrs" who died rather than abandon their vow to Christ and submit to forced marriages, or just sex, to pagan men. Or much later Catherine of Siena criticizing the Pope. I'm not sure how to explain it without causing offense, but I think women are seen more as advisory and teaching than defining or hierarchical. I might have to think on this though as I'm not entirely satisfied with that as an explanation of what I mean.
Whilst you do try to explain it, in reality all it does is confirm to a woman of the church that she is inferior to that of man.

And I went thru Catholic Schooling. Our motto was Ecclesiae Filia - - Daughter of the Church - yeah. right.

On what grounds can a woman not become a priest?

I thought a Nun was "married to god" so what in the world is the difference?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
There is an easy solution to this non-sense -- leave the Catholic church and run! Don't look back!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Good for The Church. It's a good first step for taking a stand on priests and bishops teaching against what is clearly taught in the church.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 AM

But seriously, DNick...to make it a "grave crime"?? I have to truly wonder how Jesus would feel about condemning a woman for simply wanting to serve him in such a devoted capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity