Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 AM

33,573 posts, read 37,191,473 times

Advertisements

Yes Hitler admired Martin Luther, but Hitler's anti-Semitism grew out of his Christian education. Christian Austria and Germany in his time took for granted the belief that Jews held an inferior status to Aryan Christians. Jewish hatred did not spring from Hitler, it came from the preaching of Catholic priests and Protestant ministers throughout Germany for hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hitler was a Catholic, not a Lutheran. Roman Catholic Nazi leadership

True, but he was inspired by the anti-Semitic sentiments of Luther ...

Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,200,798 times
Quote:
Yes Hitler admired Martin Luther, but Hitler's anti-Semitism grew out of his Christian education. Christian Austria and Germany in his time took for granted the belief that Jews held an inferior status to Aryan Christians. Jewish hatred did not spring from Hitler, it came from the preaching of Catholic priests and Protestant ministers throughout Germany for hundreds of years.
The Protestants got it from Luther, and the Catholics got it from misinterpreting the Bible, inserting pagan thought into the religion, and not practicing the "love" part.

As in, "love your enemies."

And they ALL forgot the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, and meekness.

It's no different than what the Jews did when they were given the message. They treated everybody else terribly.

Everybody always gets it wrong.

Love. It's not, "God is hate." It's "God is love."

I guess power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, right?

Last edited by herefornow; 07-25-2010 at 02:09 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Sad, but true.
No, it's not and I say that as a person who is definitely not a fan of Luther. (Yes you'll see Wikipedia imply that mainstream historians agree the Nazis were following Luther's ideas, but Wikipedia is disproportionately atheist/agnostic and has no standing to declare what is the prevailing view among historians)

Luther's hostility to Jews was pretty much just religious. He had the offensive idea of expelling or enslaving them if they wouldn't convert. He even seemed to accept it as okay for some non-converts to be killed. Awful stuff, but Nazism is different. Hitler had a much stronger racial component that descended from the writings of Houston Stewart Chamberlain, Alfred Ploetz, Fritz Lenz, etc. As he was raised Catholic in Austria I'm not sure it's very likely a lesser pamphlet of Luther would have had much formative impact on him. I feel its significance is more in making Lutherans of Germany, of that time, so receptive to even racial hostility toward Jews. Although even then I believe they were divided on the Nazi notion that "Jews can not be saved by Baptism" as the idea mostly goes against even Luther's Anti-Semitism. (Jewish Christians were killed though, but I believe that happened more outside Germany.)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Quote:
Yes Hitler admired Martin Luther, but Hitler's anti-Semitism grew out of his Christian education.
The problem with this is the first we see of his violent antisemitism in history is when he got into occult publications and Wagner. In his Catholic youth his mother, as I recall, had a Jewish doctor and there's not much record of any tensions on that.

Although he was likely influenced by Christian, specifically Catholic yes, antisemitism Catholicism was very hostile to eugenics and racial notions. Those he got elsewhere. He also made other clear breaks from his Catholicism by being part of the organizing of the Protestant Reich Church, trying to scrub Christianity of any Old Testament influences, etc. He basically excommunicated himself or apostasized even if the claim he "always considered himself Catholic" was more than a play to keep Catholics in the regime on his side.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,626,148 times
Regarding Hitler's supposed religious affiliations:

- Darwinism and the Nazi Race Holocaust -

It's a long article. You may wish to skip down to the subtitled "Nazism and Religion" portion.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,635,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
As if Hitler's evil is more powerful than God's love....
I think not.

There is no where that man can go that is too far in the darkness where our Creator cannot reach. He is the Good Shepherd who will leave the 99 to save the ONE that is LOST.

"Forgive them Father, they know not what they do..."
Wow. If that doesn't paint the picture of mercy, I'm not sure what else does.

So, again...
Is Hitler's evils more powerful than God's love?
I say not a chance.

Love conquers ALL.
All darkness is being destroyed.
All of it.
Wholly consumed by His love.

This, to me, is Faith.
Faith in the POWER of God.
Though darkness may completely consume one of His children, that darkness will not be victorious. God's love will be victorious.
Do I know all the answers as to HOW it will happen, How it will come about.. NO! Of course not. I'm just a mere little speck of a human.
But I do have complete confidence in the Creator that HE CAN and WILL bring it about.

peace,
sparrow
Amen sister!! Excellent post.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,159,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
As if Hitler's evil is more powerful than God's love....
Why would this statement even have context?

Quote:
I think not.
Most wouldn't.

Quote:
There is no where that man can go that is too far in the darkness where our Creator cannot reach
Being in darkness, is being in darkness. You cannot go 'too far' in the darkness, as it is all darkness. There is no such thing as a little dark. It is either dark, or not.

Quote:
. He is the Good Shepherd who will leave the 99 to save the ONE that is LOST.
But not all people are sheep. He makes this clear in the Word. That is soley YOUR assumption that Hitler is a sheep. Jesus said HIS sheep, hear His voice, and follow.

Quote:
"Forgive them Father, they know not what they do..."
In context, this was for killing Him. It was for their blindness, which had to happen, so how could they be held accountable? They KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO.

Quote:
Wow. If that doesn't paint the picture of mercy, I'm not sure what else does.
Yes, it was moving.

Quote:
So, again...
Is Hitler's evils more powerful than God's love?
I say not a chance.
Noone is saying it is.

Quote:
Love conquers ALL.
All darkness is being destroyed.
All of it.
Wholly consumed by His love.
And those in the darkness, will be destroyed. Only through HIM, can there be Light. But not all will come to the Light. John 3. They love the darkness and refuse to come to the Light.

Quote:
This, to me, is Faith.
Yes, YOUR faith.

Quote:
Faith in the POWER of God.
God's power doesn't need faith. Look around at just the creation. Beautiful.

Quote:
Though darkness may completely consume one of His children, that darkness will not be victorious.
Not all ARE His children though. This is where we differ, I think. Being a creator, doesn't NOT make a Father. It makes God the MAKER.

Quote:
God's love will be victorious.
For those who ARE His, yes. For those who are NOT His, yes. Only those who are not His, will be gone. Merciful, and quick, but gone. Destroyed forever. As the Creator, this ALSO is His right.

Quote:
Do I know all the answers as to HOW it will happen, How it will come about.. NO! Of course not. I'm just a mere little speck of a human.
Ditto.

Quote:
But I do have complete confidence in the Creator that HE CAN and WILL bring it about.
I also believe He can, but I also believe the Word when He says He WON'T.

Quote:
peace,
sparrow
Peace,
Tony

Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,892,899 times
I seriously doubt that Hitler died a Christian, therefore I doubt any of us will ever see him in heaven...

As far as whether he was a "Catholic", or otherwise, does it really matter? I mean, whatever he was, he certainly wasn't a practicing Catholic, or Lutheran...it would have been in name only...

Bud

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,159,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I seriously doubt that Hitler died a Christian, therefore I doubt any of us will ever see him in heaven...

As far as whether he was a "Catholic", or otherwise, does it really matter? I mean, whatever he was, he certainly wasn't a practicing Catholic, or Lutheran...it would have been in name only...

Bud
I picture him on judgment day saying:

"Lord, Lord!! See, I got back at them for slaying you, and wiped as many out as I could. I did ALL these things in yourr name"

I see Jesus saying:

"DEPART FROM ME"

I see God the Father saying:

"It is finished", while the angels toss him into the lake to be destroyed, and consumed, never to be seen or heard from again, nor even partiallly remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity