Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 AM

164 posts, read 490,518 times

Advertisements

Job 1.21And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

This was coming from the man, Job, who had an abundance of "stuff", had many children, and his health, and lost it all.

This is a deep thought to ponder. Can you remember coming naked out of your mother's womb? I can't, but I did. When I came forth, I was born unto a family that God had chose for me. So were you. As a baby, I have no remembrance of what type of clothes I wore, what type of house I lived in, what type of car my parents drove, what I ate, who my Aunts and Uncles, grandparents, sisters, cousins and neighbors were...but God did.

Over the years, I have accumulated much "stuff". Some of that "stuff" I had for years and some for days(Where is that pair of pliers I bought in 1969?). I have also come in contact with many people, from all walks of life. Some of the people in my life I have known all my life, and others have come and gone. It is amazing to me when I think about it, that the Lord knew exactly where I needed to be, placed people in my path who needed to be there, and provided what I needed to live in this world. Ole Job said it right. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, and one day we will die, and won't be able to take anything with us (naked shall I return).

Life is short...like a vapor..we are here, and then we are gone.

I like to read the story of Job because it reminds me that God is in control...one instant you can have everything, the next instant it is gone. It also reminds me that Satan has to ask God's permission to inflict his damage. I also love the end of Job, where the Lord gave him twice as much as he had before he was afflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,899 times
Good topic.

1 Timothy 6: 6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
What a wonderful post....yes, I think of this often. It is something to ponder over and be aware of. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
yeah...can't take it with you...thk goodness.so many ppl covet their possessions.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
I like the post. I remember one of the messages our church received from Jesus stating that the book of Job was one of His favorites. I like it too. It's thought provoking. Thanks for reminding us all that we are not of this world but the Kingdom of God if we so choose and that the things we have are just tools to get us through this life.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM

75 posts, read 101,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
I like to read the story of Job because it reminds me that God is in control...one instant you can have everything, the next instant it is gone. It also reminds me that Satan has to ask God's permission to inflict his damage. I also love the end of Job, where the Lord gave him twice as much as he had before he was afflicted.
walkin... yes, Job reminds us that Satan does nothing without getting God's permission. In this sense, he is doing the job for which he was created.
Isaiah 54:16 ...I have created the waster to destroy. KJV

Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM

51 posts, read 67,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
Job 1.21And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

This was coming from the man, Job, who had an abundance of "stuff", had many children, and his health, and lost it all.

This is a deep thought to ponder. Can you remember coming naked out of your mother's womb? I can't, but I did. When I came forth, I was born unto a family that God had chose for me. So were you. As a baby, I have no remembrance of what type of clothes I wore, what type of house I lived in, what type of car my parents drove, what I ate, who my Aunts and Uncles, grandparents, sisters, cousins and neighbors were...but God did.

Over the years, I have accumulated much "stuff". Some of that "stuff" I had for years and some for days(Where is that pair of pliers I bought in 1969?). I have also come in contact with many people, from all walks of life. Some of the people in my life I have known all my life, and others have come and gone. It is amazing to me when I think about it, that the Lord knew exactly where I needed to be, placed people in my path who needed to be there, and provided what I needed to live in this world. Ole Job said it right. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, and one day we will die, and won't be able to take anything with us (naked shall I return).

Life is short...like a vapor..we are here, and then we are gone.

walkin2e,

Amen and amen, after Job prayed for his 3 friendly "tormentors."

Paul testified that he died "daily," always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that Jesus' life could be manifested.

Matt 5:44
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; KJV

Eojj

Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
I'm planning on the last check I right,

bouncing

Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Good post Walkin2e

I think Job was wrong when he said "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away".

For the gifts and callings of God are irrevocable Romans 11 verse 29.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Gonna spend as much of my life as possible naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity