Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:30 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lately I have observed that there are people who call themselves Christians but they are so obviously harboring resentment and hatred of others that I wonder if what my mom told me is true? Can someone still get automatic access to the pearly gates if they accept Christ as their savior, but still have contempt and hate in their hearts for any other?
Hi, to be a Christian means to me to be a follower of Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ taught us to love one another, even our enemies. Christians may struggle with certains sins and attitudes which do not please the Lord, or may need to be enlightened about what we need to change in our lives, but about but the goal is to be transformed into His image. It is a growing process and even though Paul had to chastise/rebuke, for example, many believers in some congregations about certain attitudes and behaviors, they were still believers. As we continue to walk with the Lord, hopefully, we are by the Spirit of God, putting to death those attitudes and behaviors like hatred and resentment. I believe that God will bring whatever is impure in us to light and that He will deal with it and we will deal with it. Jesus came to destroy the works of satan. I also believe that it really isn't about getting automatic access through the pearly gates, but that it is about being reconciled to God. Many will suffer loss and anguish when they are confronted with their sins but I believe that eventually all will be reconciled to God. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-26-2008 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times
Shana

That was simple succinct and beautiful. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 AM

178 posts, read 312,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Does this mean that the multitudes of people who never heard of Jesus as Lord until the Europeans came and conquered their land in the 1400s and beyond didn't get their salvation because they didn't know of Jesus as Lord? Are they workers of sin too, despite not having known of Christ? I guess what I am getting at is, as an example, the Incas, who would be described as pagan and new nothing of Jesus yet lived a very repectable and advanced way of life and worshipped their sun god Inti - are their souls roasting over some fire pit in hell because they didn't know any better?
I believe ALL will have an equal opportunity and privlege to inherit eternal life because ALL are children of God. Those who haven't fully had the opportunity to formally accept and follow Jesus in this life, I believe will be given this opportunity in the next prior to the resurrection.

I believe there are many in this life who have never heard the name of Jesus, who actually know Him much better than many who have heard his name. John teaches that to keep the commandments of Jesus is to know him (1 John 2:3). There are many who keep the commandments of Jesus without having ever heard of Him. To go to what many "Christians" would consider an extreme, I know some "athiests" who keep the commandments of Jesus much better than many "Christians." I believe the time will come when these individuals will realize that at a certain level, they have known Him all along. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is the Christ. For this to happen, every knee and tongue must first know that Jesus is the Christ. ALL will be given this opportunity and privlege.

I believe God's grace, love and mercy to be infinite. I believe in the grand scheme of things, He will take into account the settings, environment and teachings we all are/were brought up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity