Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,139,127 times

Advertisements

These verses are so powerful to me. They didn't used to be, until I really thought about what it means to love.

Love God
Love your neighbor
Love your enemy

Yes, love. But how? What is love?

Everyone knows (or should know) 1 Cor 13.

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails.

We've all heard these verses a million times at weddings and in church. But this is really what we have to do. We have to be patient, we have to be kind. We have to be selfless, forgiving, protecting, etc. That is what love does. That is what God is. And God knows I'm terrible at it right now. But He is working in me.

This is the most important thing - so important that even if we have all knowledge and doctrine, but do not have love - we gain nothing.

Love your enemy. Jesus taught us we have to do it. Kill them with kindness. You destroy your enemy when you make them your friend. If everyone in the world actually practiced what love is (as defined by 1 Cor 13) - can you imagine what would happen? It would practically solve all the worlds problems. Wars would instantly end. No one would starve. No one would be greedy.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

This passage is amazing. It tells us how we know God - by loving each other! Everyone who loves has been born of God. That is the point. That is why it is the most important thing.

Love ALWAYS protects. Is that not the most comforting thing you have ever heard?

Love conquers all.
Love covers over all wrongs.
Love never fails.
Love is the most important thing.
Its what we are here to learn.
Love is the most powerful force in the universe - because God is love.

Its awesome!

Peace out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,376,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
These verses are so powerful to me. They didn't used to be, until I really thought about what it means to love.

Love God
Love your neighbor
Love your enemy

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails.

We've all heard these verses a million times at weddings and in church. But this is really what we have to do. We have to be patient, we have to be kind. We have to be selfless, forgiving, protecting, etc. That is what love does. That is what God is. And God knows I'm terrible at it right now. But He is working in me.

This is the most important thing - so important that even if we have all knowledge and doctrine, but do not have love - we gain nothing.

Love your enemy. Jesus taught us we have to do it. Kill them with kindness. You destroy your enemy when you make them your friend. If everyone in the world actually practiced what love is (as defined by 1 Cor 13) - can you imagine what would happen? It would practically solve all the worlds problems. Wars would instantly end. No one would starve. No one would be greedy.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

This passage is amazing. It tells us how we know God - by loving each other! Everyone who loves has been born of God. That is the point. That is why it is the most important thing.

Love ALWAYS protects. Is that not the most comforting thing you have ever heard?

Love conquers all.
Love never fails.

Its awesome!

Peace out...
You're a great blessing, Legoman!
May we all listen to that still small Voice within us, and love one another, thereby walking in God and God in us... even unto death! (Just as Jesus did for us!)

Blessings!
Brian

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Jesus said "Love your neighbor as yourself". I believe God loves himself too. If we can't love ourselves, we don't even have God's love to give.When we know in our hearts we are unconditionally loved of God, we have no problem loving ourselves.Just imagine yourself unconditionally loved of God right at this moment,exactly, it takes faith to believe it.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,398,670 times
Got doctrine?

"Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed; for His compassion never fails.â€

Have Mercy!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
Awww.... it makes me sad that this didn't get more responses... y'know? I saw this earlier this morning and now here we sit with only a handful of responses? I hope more folks read this beautiful thread and post their thoughts.

LOVE is the answer. It's BEEN the answer all of these years...
Why don't we listen???

What an awesome message, legoman.
One of the most powerful things I've read on here, to be quite honest.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM

11,903 posts, read 3,726,315 times
Quote:

Love God
Love your neighbor
Love your enemy

8 Love never fails.

Love conquers all.
Love never fails.

Its awesome!

Peace out...
I agree ...... it is awesome --- God is love

Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 AM

200 posts, read 252,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus said "Love your neighbor as yourself". I believe God loves himself too. If we can't love ourselves, we don't even have God's love to give.When we know in our hearts we are unconditionally loved of God, we have no problem loving ourselves.Just imagine yourself unconditionally loved of God right at this moment,exactly, it takes faith to believe it.
And even now, I struggle with the concept of loving myself. I've been taught since an early age that I'm not worthy of love. Thank you, pcamps.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,376,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy63 View Post
And even now, I struggle with the concept of loving myself. I've been taught since an early age that I'm not worthy of love. Thank you, pcamps.
You are worthy of love, Snuffy. I would even go so far as to say that you are loved by some people on this forum, too!

Love is special because the more we give, the more we can give more! It is "in-extinguishable!"

Blessings!
brian

Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy63 View Post
Hey Snuffy forget what you have been called in the past, you are highly favored of God,and the apple of his eye.His banner over you is love(Songs of Solomon 2:4)

Psalm 3:3 says
But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.

May the knowledge of his unconditional love towards you shield(your mind) and be the lifter of your head.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM

138 posts, read 163,746 times
Quote:

Love God
Love your neighbor
Love your enemy

8 Love never fails.

Love conquers all.
Love never fails.

Its awesome!

Peace out...
You can't love your neighbors without killing the enemy first. Here's a parable about killing the enemy and obedience to your master.

A platoon of soldiers were told to go destroy the enemy, but after searching for the enemy, they came back without accomplishing their mission. Their Commander asked them why they didn't destroy the enemy. The platoon leader said they became friends with the enemy so they couldn't see any reason to destroy their friends. The Commander told them to line up and cover their eyes while he destroyed them. The platoon leader cried out to the Commander asking why they're being destroyed. The Commander told him that anyone who becomes friends with the enemy becomes an enemy and the enemy was ordered to be destroyed. If you would have obeyed my commands to destroy the enemy that you made friends with, you would have spared your life and never have to worry about being destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity