Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
A thought occurred to me during the night last night:
there are docrines which we all "believe in," and we debate about them here; ET vs. UR, tribulation doctrine, trinity or not, rapture or not, etc, etc..

But what about when you're diagnosed with a terminal illness?

NOW what do you talk about?
Maybe things turn to talking about grace, mercy, LOVE...?

It's easy to debate doctrine and theology, providing that one is young enough, strong enough, healthy enough, economically-stable enough...

But what about when it's OUR turn to go? When the heat is turned up a bit? When the pain begins?
Are there still debates to be had? Or do we reach for other scriptures? And if so, which ones?

I'd love to hear your thoughts..!
Blessings,
brian

PS. No, I haven't been diagnosed with a terminal illness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
First In 2 Corinthians 12:9..``My grace is sufficient for thee, for my strength is made perfect in weakness`` .... means that in terminal illness or issues that we can not fix through the worlds knowledge then when we turn to the Lord he promises that his power to heal is stonger....... In other wisdom is to turn from any unforgiveness and get all the curses and authority of stronghold of demons and fallen angels off the body through the power of Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ and Jesus will finish the work and heal the body with ease..... Don t believe the devil is a problem?...... In Matthew 10:28..... ``and fear not them which can kill the body but are not able to kill the soul, but rather fear him which is able to destroy both the body and soul in hell``........the first one who can not kill the soul is man or the one who can martyr a christian ,.... where the one who can kill the body ans soul in hell is the devil and demons and the fallen angels, not The Lord for he will bring life if you ask him......for the fear of God is that we reject the devil and his authority...

Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Yes; words of encouragement can be found in verses such as 2 Cor. 12:9.

To me, theology is about the "whens" and "hows" and "whys" of spiritual things. And I certainly have my baggage of ideas and theories about God and His plans for the ages. Most of you do, too, and I see it in your posts: pre-millenialism, post-millenialism, trinitys, hells, ET, UR, etc, etc.

But it is only by God's Lovingkindness and mercy that we are all here. And I think David understood this, and expressed it in the Psalms. So did Job, in the end, when he repented of his sins. All his so-called "righteousness" came crashing down in front of a God who is so majestic and so wonderful...

So here I am, in my little boat, and my prayer, "Lord, I will trust in your mercy, for my boat is very small, and the waves are big.."

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
A thought occurred to me during the night last night:
there are docrines which we all "believe in," and we debate about them here; ET vs. UR, tribulation doctrine, trinity or not, rapture or not, etc, etc..

But what about when you're diagnosed with a terminal illness?

NOW what do you talk about?
Maybe things turn to talking about grace, mercy, LOVE...?

It's easy to debate doctrine and theology, providing that one is young enough, strong enough, healthy enough, economically-stable enough...

But what about when it's OUR turn to go? When the heat is turned up a bit? When the pain begins?
Are there still debates to be had? Or do we reach for other scriptures? And if so, which ones?

I'd love to hear your thoughts..!
Blessings,
brian

PS. No, I haven't been diagnosed with a terminal illness...
We are all terminal. We all have a terminal illness called SIN. But I understand what where your going. The Christian should see illness and suffering as OPPORTUNIITY. That opportunity is the point at which to exercise a wonderful message of hope and happiness. By delivering such a message to those whose spirits are broken we may be concerting a humbled heart.

In the OLD Testament we read about those that have reached such suffering and hardship that they get to the point of sitting in sackcloth and ashes. This sackcloth and ashes was a way in which they would appear CONSUMED BY FIRE unto the Lord. It was a sign of being humbled and at God's Mercy to perform His Will.

When you read of the Parable of the Prodigal Son, you see the boy leaves his father and spends his life riotessly only to turn to the point of realization that at that hour he longed for the comfort of his father. It took being humbled to come to that submission.

We as Christians should be seeking out these people who God has brought low and fill their ears with hope. Easier said then done I know but it is the right thing to do.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Hi trettep!
Yes; funny thing, I see better now how perhaps I was that prodigal son running after strange doctrines, when all that was needed was to return to the Father and remember that we are His sons!

Blessings to you, and thanks for your insight!
brian

Old 09-05-2010, 10:53 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Brian has a good point. I think the supposed "importance" of debating would pale when someone becomes terminally ill. I'm not terminally ill either, but I'd guess my interest, in that case, would be more focused on scriptures that speak of healing, and whether I could obtain healing of whatever disease I had, and mercy for having lived a life less than optimum...

Bud

Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
I'm not a Christian - and neither was my father but when he was dying - me just being there and holding his hand and telling him how much I loved him seemed to make him much happier and more at peace. Same with my aunt. I think - being there for someone, holding their hand, letting them know how much you care - I think that is what people need.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Agreed, Bud. All good things are of God, and even giving a helping hand or listening ear is of God, because God is Love, and Love does no wrong to his neighbor.

Blessings!
Brian

Old 09-05-2010, 10:04 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi trettep!
Yes; funny thing, I see better now how perhaps I was that prodigal son running after strange doctrines, when all that was needed was to return to the Father and remember that we are His sons!

Blessings to you, and thanks for your insight!
brian
Blessed are you in Christ. Thanks for the aknowledement. I always wonder how Christ works thru me. Thanks be to Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity