Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You can honor Holy Spirit and be reverence to his presence, but believers must not Praise, Worship, and glorify Holy Spirit as that is for the Lord Jesus Christ,,,,, Holy Spirit will withdraw and even retreat from any Worship or praise to him.....believer must NEVER be proud of Holy Spirit as being proud is not a Heavenly attribute of the Lord Jesus or HIS Spirit
Sounds a lot like a man-made rule to me. It is amazing how much people desire to be instructors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:17 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
With all due respect, this non-believer would disagree...The Holy Spirit is broader than how you define/describe it.

(She also realizes that she has completely discredited herself as self-identifying as a "nonbeliever.")

Take gentle care.
Most believers would say that I cannot put God in a box, but yet Jesus said that is how we, the believers, will know the Holy Spirit personally by Him dwelling within us. John 14:16-17

Because there are other spirits in the world such as the "Great Spirit" as worshipped by the American Indians: believers are to test the spirits and not just go with the flow whenever these supernatural phenomenon occurs ( 1 John 4:1-6) . The American Indians would testify to the experience of drunkenness for which they would dance and chant for the Great Spirit to come: and they 'd testify to that experience when drinking alcohol as being similar.

Believers today are confusing a supernatural phenomenon of drunkenness as being of the Holy Spirit when in reality, that proves it is not the Holy Spirit but other spirits operating in the world.

That is why the focus in the worship place is on the Son Whose name is above every other name to prevent believers from going astray and chasing after other "spirits" in glorying after signs and wonders.

So there is a reason why the Holy Spirit is confined in a box: and that box is the body of the believers which serves now as the temple of the Holy Spirit, declaring witness of God's promise that Jesus is with us always.

So as other spirits in the world would love to take the spotlight off of Jesus Christ in the worship service even for a moment, the real indwelling Holy Spirit is still keeping that spotlight on the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Most believers would say that I cannot put God in a box, but yet Jesus said that is how we, the believers, will know the Holy Spirit personally by Him dwelling within us. John 14:16-17

Because there are other spirits in the world such as the "Great Spirit" as worshipped by the American Indians: believers are to test the spirits and not just go with the flow whenever these supernatural phenomenon occurs ( 1 John 4:1-6) . The American Indians would testify to the experience of drunkenness for which they would dance and chant for the Great Spirit to come: and they 'd testify to that experience when drinking alcohol as being similar.

Believers today are confusing a supernatural phenomenon of drunkenness as being of the Holy Spirit when in reality, that proves it is not the Holy Spirit but other spirits operating in the world.

That is why the focus in the worship place is on the Son Whose name is above every other name to prevent believers from going astray and chasing after other "spirits" in glorying after signs and wonders.

So there is a reason why the Holy Spirit is confined in a box: and that box is the body of the believers which serves now as the temple of the Holy Spirit, declaring witness of God's promise that Jesus is with us always.

So as other spirits in the world would love to take the spotlight off of Jesus Christ in the worship service even for a moment, the real indwelling Holy Spirit is still keeping that spotlight on the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Okay.

So if June told you that she (or some "seeker") had experienced the "Holy Spirit" then on what grounds would you discredit that?

And who is to say whose 'experience' is the truly valid one?

~Just curious...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 PM

63,837 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ referred to the Holy Spirit as A Person of God with the pronouns of "he" , "him", and "himself", so the Holy Spirit is more than just God's active force.

John 14:16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.... 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16: 7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged..... 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Your supernatural, magical and superstitious focus is incompatible with my science-grounded views, brother . . . and we have agreed to disagree before. So this is not to debate with you . . . but to present a different perspective to those who might be reading this. The essence of everyone (including God) is their consciousness . . . not their physical being. When we identify someone with a pronoun . . . we are identifying their essential consciousness. The Holy Spirit is the consciousness of God. It is what makes God identifiable as God . . . as our consciousness makes us identifiable as us. Jesus' human consciousness was transfigured into the Holy Spirit (God's consciousness) within His human body and brain. But it was not available to any of us while Jesus lived in that body. When Jesus died . . . He was reborn as Spirit (Holy Spirit in His human consciousness form). Now it is available to us all in our consciousnesses. The three separate people confusion is born of ignorance about the role and essence of consciousness as the source of identity.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-14-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
With all due respect, this non-believer would disagree...The Holy Spirit is broader than how you define/describe it.

(She also realizes that she has completely discredited herself as self-identifying as a "nonbeliever.")

Take gentle care.
or possibly validating herself............

Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
The Holy Spirit is God and the Third Person of the Triune God, but singularly as the Person of God, the Holy Spirit does not seek to be worshipped, honoured, nor glorified at all because He is sent to lead believers to honour the Father by honouring the Son.

The Nicene creed which was done in ecumenical format, is wrong about about the Holy Spirit being the Giver of Life:

AND the creed is wrong about the Holy Spirit to be worshipped with the Father and the Son.
I'm curious, Enow, if you believe in the "Triune God," but reject the two points you mentioned that are found in the Nicene Creed, could you explain what you mean by the "Triune God"?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I have always been a Christian,(although now I prefer just a believer) attended many different denominations and learned about their doctrines..Never, never in all my many years have I ever heard any of them claim to worship the Holy Spirit..As for myself I am thankful for the gifts of the Holy Spirit that Jesus gave us to continue to teach and guide us in this very difficult life we struggle with every day..The teachings of Christ did not end on the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit began His work, nor did it end with the last word of the bible..

The Holy Spirit keeps me focused on Christ and His loving sacrifice for the church which He will one day present to the Father as His bride..perfect, in every way..

I believe the Holy Spirit is free and available to everyone no matter what religion, believer or non believer..He hears the call, knows the heart and mind of all and knows who is searching..

When we cannot see God outside the words in the bible or outside the established doctrines of man, we tend to be very judgemental of anyone who we cannot make believe what we do..and imo we are pushing many people off the path to God..God is love, we are to show His son Christ through love...not bitter senseless arguements, not through threats, not through "red tape" to reach Him..

Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Miss Blue...you are one "LADY" with spiritual substance...from the core.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have always been a Christian,(although now I prefer just a believer) attended many different denominations and learned about their doctrines..Never, never in all my many years have I ever heard any of them claim to worship the Holy Spirit.
Well, I haven't either, come to think about it. On the other hand, if the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all a part of one substance which, according to traditional Christianity's Creeds, cannot be divided, how it is possible to worship two of the three without worshipping the other one?

More importantly, as the Athanasian Creed states, "the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped," then the Holy Ghost absolutely is supposed to be worshipped. Of course, I don't hold to the Creeds myself, so I'm more or less off the hook.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM

595 posts, read 762,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
The Holy Spirit isn't a God, it's God's active force.

Micah 3:8

The Holy Spirit has no name. If it were a diety, it would have a name.
John 14: 15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

1 Corinthians 15:45
So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" [ Gen. 2:7] ; the last Adam, (Jesus) a life-giving spirit.

His Name is the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,
Mercy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity