Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
Bearing witnesses doesn't equate to being a person.

1 John 5:7-8 (21st Century King James Version)

7For there are three that bear record in Heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one.
8And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these three agree in one.
If there was no verse seven, you would have a case, but since there is that verse, the Holy Ghost is a Person as obviously, the Word is Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 AM

409 posts, read 399,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
If there was no verse seven, you would have a case, but since there is that verse, the Holy Ghost is a Person as obviously, the Word is Jesus Christ.
The spirit is also in verse 8 but we know blood and water isn't persons.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The spirit is also in verse 8 but we know blood and water isn't persons.
Okay then: what does the blood and the water alludes to, but the death of Jesus Christ? How does the Spirit fit in that analogy?

So the three witnesses in Heaven are each of the three Persons of God as the three witnesses in the earth, the analogy is the witness of the Spirit testifies as to the witness of the death of Jesus Christ.

That is how any believer bears witness in the earth is by the Spirit.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 AM

409 posts, read 399,623 times
Quote:
Okay then: what does the blood and the water alludes to, but the death of Jesus Christ? How does the Spirit fit in that analogy?

So the three witnesses in Heaven are each of the three Persons of God as the three witnesses in the earth, the analogy is the witness of the Spirit testifies as to the witness of the death of Jesus Christ.

That is how any believer bears witness in the earth is by the Spirit.
We know that the blood, water and spirit are separate, that they are not all identified as one but that they can all be in agreement. According to scripture.

The trinity teaching however is teaching that God and Jesus and Holy spirit are one in the same. Are we to conclude that God bore witness about himself with himself? If so that is one ultimately, not three.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ referred to the Holy Spirit as A Person of God with the pronouns of "he" , "him", and "himself", so the Holy Spirit is more than just God's active force.

John 14:16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.... 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16: 7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged..... 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Enow you seem to be forgetting that the Hebrew language only uses a neutral gender pronoun when addressing a third person...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
We know that the blood, water and spirit are separate, that they are not all identified as one but that they can all be in agreement. According to scripture.

The trinity teaching however is teaching that God and Jesus and Holy spirit are one in the same. Are we to conclude that God bore witness about himself with himself? If so that is one ultimately, not three.
The Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost has to be seperate in order foir them to bear witness of the other, otherwise, God would be bearing witness of Himself and thus cannot be true. So there is a plurality in the One God that allows God the Father to bear witness of the Son as the Holy Spirit does as well.

John 5: 30I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. 31If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. 32There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true. 33Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. 36But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. 37And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Enow you seem to be forgetting that the Hebrew language only uses a neutral gender pronoun when addressing a third person...
His words spoken and recorded by the disciples are enough for me.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
His words spoken and recorded by the disciples are enough for me.
But they were also translated from Greek which also used a neutral gender pronoun when addressing the holy spirit...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
But they were also translated from Greek which also used a neutral gender pronoun when addressing the holy spirit...
One thing for sure, the Holy Spirit is not a "she".

Let's take note on why the Holy Spirit is a "he".

In Genesis, we read how God spoke for the act of creation in the plural, but when God performed the act of creation, it was in the singular.

Genesis 1: 26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Since the Three Persons are One, then the Father and the Son as being of the male gender also includes the Holy Spirit in that frame of reference when performing the act of creation.

God is a "he" and such use of the pronoun denotes the Holy Spirit as a "he" as well.

The translators by the leading of the Holy Spirit, would have changed the pronoun to a really neutral one like "it" if that was the real case.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Proverbs 3:15 Happy is the man that findeth "wisdom," and the man that getteth understanding.

SHE is made precious than rubies:
16 Length of days is in her right hand;
17 her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her path are peace.
18 She is a TREE OF LIFE to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is everyone that retaineth her.

The she pronoun is the right rendition in this passage, be it in English or Hebrew or Greek...because only "through" a woman (the good soil) can the seed be planted and become a tree where birds make their home especially the doves......

Matthew 13:31-33
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity