Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
The Father cannot be honoured directly. The only way to honour the Father is by honouring the Son. That is the standard of judgment given to believers:

John 5:22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The only way to glorify the Father is by glorifying the Son.

John 13: 31Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

John 17: 1These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

That is why the name of Jesus is above every other name, including JEHOVAH's. That is the mind of Christ we are to have.

Philippians 2: 5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Quote:
God rescued us from the dark power of Satan and brought us into the kingdom of his dear Son, who forgives our sins and sets us free. Christ is exactly like God, who cannot be seen. He is the first-born Son, superior to all creation.
Jesus Christ is God.

Luke 5:31And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

1 John 1: 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 8: 23And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM

409 posts, read 399,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
The Father cannot be honoured directly. The only way to honour the Father is by honouring the Son. That is the standard of judgment given to believers:

John 5:22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The only way to glorify the Father is by glorifying the Son.

John 13: 31Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

John 17: 1These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

That is why the name of Jesus is above every other name, including JEHOVAH's. That is the mind of Christ we are to have.

Philippians 2: 5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus Christ is God.

Luke 5:31And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

1 John 1: 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 8: 23And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

1 Corinthians 15: 27-28 (Contemporary English Version)

When the Scriptures say that he will put everything under his power, they don't include God. It was God who put everything under the power of Christ. After everything is under the power of God's Son, he will put himself under the power of God, who put everything under his Son's power. Then God will mean everything to everyone.

God is greater, always has been and always will be.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
1 Corinthians 15: 27-28 (Contemporary English Version)

When the Scriptures say that he will put everything under his power, they don't include God. It was God who put everything under the power of Christ. After everything is under the power of God's Son, he will put himself under the power of God, who put everything under his Son's power. Then God will mean everything to everyone.

God is greater, always has been and always will be.

What is your denomenation? Is it Jehovah's Witnesses?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What is your denomenation? Is it Jehovah's Witnesses?
Yes.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Well, that would explain your responses then.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness: FYI.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Well, that would explain your responses then.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness: FYI.
I knew you weren't. My responses are because the Bible states that Jesus is God's son, God is greater as Jesus stated and is proven by the fact that we can't get to God except through Jesus, Jesus had a beginning and God doesn't, etc.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I knew you weren't. My responses are because the Bible states that Jesus is God's son, God is greater as Jesus stated and is proven by the fact that we can't get to God except through Jesus, Jesus had a beginning and God doesn't, etc.
Scriptures disagrees with you about Jesus having a beginning. He existed before He was born.

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men....14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Genesis account has God speaking for the act of creation in the plural sense, but when God performed the act of creation, it was in the singular.

Genesis 1: 26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So that is why Jesus was crucified for speaking the truth that he and the Father are One.

Your denomenational teachings are getting in the way of reading His words as they are written.

God will not share His glory with another. If God is the Ssviour and Jesus is called the Saviour, then God is reconciling believers to Himself through Himself.

Read the consequences for believing otherwise.

John 8:24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Only God can save and Jesus is the Saviour. That is why it goes to the glory of God the Father. They both share the same hand in salvation as no one can pluck any that are saved out of His hand.

John 10:28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one.

So yes: Jesus said God the Father was greater than He was while He was on earth as the Son of Man and as the Son of God, but...they are One.

Philippians 2:5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Would not God want His people to call on Him to be saved so that He would receive all the glory? How can He do that unless Jesus is God?

Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Scriptures disagrees with you about Jesus having a beginning. He existed before He was born.

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men....14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Genesis account has God speaking for the act of creation in the plural sense, but when God performed the act of creation, it was in the singular.

Genesis 1: 26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So that is why Jesus was crucified for speaking the truth that he and the Father are One.

Your denomenational teachings are getting in the way of reading His words as they are written.

God will not share His glory with another. If God is the Ssviour and Jesus is called the Saviour, then God is reconciling believers to Himself through Himself.

Read the consequences for believing otherwise.

John 8:24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Only God can save and Jesus is the Saviour. That is why it goes to the glory of God the Father. They both share the same hand in salvation as no one can pluck any that are saved out of His hand.

John 10:28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one.

So yes: Jesus said God the Father was greater than He was while He was on earth as the Son of Man and as the Son of God, but...they are One.

Philippians 2:5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Would not God want His people to call on Him to be saved so that He would receive all the glory? How can He do that unless Jesus is God?
Isaiah 12:2-4

2Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

3Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. 4And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.

Colossians 1:15

15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Proverbs 8:22-31

22The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
24When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
25Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
26While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
27When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
30Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him; 31Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Isaiah 12:2-4

2Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
You are using the Old Testament while ignoring the call in the New. Jesus is the Saviour as God has given Him a name that is above every other name and that includes Jehovah. Jesus is the name to call upon to be saved as Jesus is the name to cast out demons. Only the power of God can do that as calling on the name of God can accomplish that.

Hence Jesus is God.

Emmanuel means "God is with us". That is Who Jesus is.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Did you leave "the" out of the thread title to try to make a point? I ask because it brings back memories of some using "Holy Spirit" like a person's name. Just like we wouldn't say "the Jesus".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity