Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

No wonder God's Wrath begins at the House of God [Ezekiel 9.]

" ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America presided over a
St. Paul ceremony that officially received three openly lesbian pastors onto the denomination's roster. "

3 lesbian pastors join Lutheran roster in Minn. | Minneapolis and St. Paul | kare11.com

"He who's without sin...."

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times

It might interest some of you to know that in Russia,
the slang word for homosexuals is blue.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
I did a little reading on this subject since I was not aware of this situation before the OP posted the article. Evidently, these 3 women went through seminary to become ministers and revealed that they were lesbian at the time they were to be ordained. Their bishops refused to ordain them but several parishes went against the church and performed ordinations [even a bishop was at these extraordinary ordinations]. The parishes that allowed these ordinations were reprimanded and even kicked out of the synod yet they would not recant their action and kept these lesbian pastors. This was over 20 years ago when gay men were also denied ordination unless they vowed to maintain a celibate life. Those that refused to accept total celibacy were not ordained and those who went ahead and found a bishop and parish to ordain them were not recognized by the Lutheran church. Two of these lesbian pastors became partners and married when California allowed gays to marry; they stayed on in their parish, St. Francis in San Francisco as unrecognized Lutheran pastors.

This history is now viewed as a tragic mistake by the ELCA and why they are now allowing those who they once kicked out of the synod to return and be accepted by their bishop. The parishes that were also expelled have been welcomed back into their local synods.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

No wonder God's Wrath begins at the House of God [Ezekiel 9.]

" ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America presided over a
St. Paul ceremony that officially received three openly lesbian pastors onto the denomination's roster. "

3 lesbian pastors join Lutheran roster in Minn. | Minneapolis and St. Paul | kare11.com

I think it's wonderful that churches are waking up. We are all children of God. We are exactly the same yet we are judged by humans who have no idea that God is our Father and that it is only up to Him if we are not in harmony.

We have a lesbian minister at our church and she's wonderful!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 AM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I think it's wonderful that churches are waking up. We are all children of God. We are exactly the same yet we are judged by humans who have no idea that God is our Father and that it is only up to Him if we are not in harmony.

We have a lesbian minister at our church and she's wonderful!!
I agree but sadly there are parishes and pastors who are leaving the ELCA because of the decision to ordain gay clergy. Even some bishops are upset and threatening to leave. This is becoming a serious problem since the church buildings belong to the synod and the courts have to get involved to resolve who owns the building. It has divided families and parishes have had major turmoil of those against and those for gay clergy.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 AM

308 posts, read 427,621 times
It's nice that they let these gals be themselves and do a job they love.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
I agree but sadly there are parishes and pastors who are leaving the ELCA because of the decision to ordain gay clergy. Even some bishops are upset and threatening to leave. This is becoming a serious problem since the church buildings belong to the synod and the courts have to get involved to resolve who owns the building. It has divided families and parishes have had major turmoil of those against and those for gay clergy.
Apparently, they don't "trust in God". They leave because of conditioning and have come to hate that which they don't understand. If they believe we are children of God and have the right to religion then they should accept any and all who want to serve, even women pastors.

Oh well, I'll go back to my dream world.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
i was born into the ELCA and i can't be more proud. As a gay man with a degree in religion, I look forward to the opportunities this allows for me, to serve in ministry.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM

42 posts, read 181,495 times
I am not Lutheran(am actually an estranged catholic)but I don't think God would refuse anyone to worship at a church because their lifestyle is not something some people would approve.It is up to God to judge and up to us to show love.There is a local catholic Priest who I suspect is gay,and I see the church packed.He is one of the warmest and welcoming people I know.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
The point of the thread is being missed.

The Authority of the Church instruction comes from the Scriptures. The Scriptures condemn Homosexuality as well as Fornication, Adultery, et al. It is pretty clear the guidelines that are to be followed by the Pastor. People are simply rebelling against God in his Word.

In the end, it's not Christians' "Judgments" that they should be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity