Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I think the concept of an eternal torturous hell makes a mockery of god. I mean if a burning place of eternal torture exists then the nazis were more merciful than god. The nazis allowed their victims to die at least, thereby ending the pain of the victims, while the Christian god allows the eternal torture of those who don't accept Jesus. I am not saying all Christians believe in a place of eternal torture or anything, but the eternal torture concept is just plain wrong IMO.
Everyone speaking of hell is speaking outside of the religion that speaks about it. It isn't good enough to know there is no hell, a person should be able to explain each scripture that refers to hell, every scripture about hell is referring to the end of the feast of Tabernacles, people are reading idioms about the temple and the feasts of the temple and because they don't know those feasts, they don't get the idioms.

Jesus said you could speak against him and be saved, but he went much farther than this, the most sinful thing a person can do is to disrespect the commandments of God, and Jesus said a person can choose to not keep any of them, BUT EVEN GREATER THAN THIS, Jesus says you could teach others lawlessness and disrespect for the Torah and STILL BE SAVED.

We are also shown where the works of EVERY MAN will be tested by fire,'' EVERY ONE BORN.''

If they watch their works burn in the lake of fire, and they even burn in the lake, THEY ARE STILL SAVED.

EVERY ONE WILL STAND IN FLAMES.

The design of the temple is exactly made to show the 3 sections of the kingdom of heaven, and there is salvation in all 3. Hebrews teaches us that the design of the temple is specifically to mirror what the kingdom is, and that temple is in 3 sections and Jesus NO DOUBT speaks about these 3 sections where there is a least and a greatest, and all are saved, salvation is extreemly broad, but salvation is not reward. Salvation without reward leaves a person standing in the outer court of gentiles called the outer court of darkness and they have salvation, but they weep and gnash their teeth because they had no reward, and this is because they didn't recieve the promised rain on Shemini Atzeret, and so while they have their salvation, their life and their blessings, they see how others had ran a race, and they ran the race because they knew it was a race, just as we are told so.

Believing in hell is for people who don't know anything about the temple, the laws, the 7 feasts, the traditions and rituals practiced in Judaism, and they are reading idioms and concepts that they don't know anything about.

Why don't Christians know anything about the religion Jesus loved and practiced?

And being that they don't know or study what they are talking about, why are they talking about it?

It's like a Christian jumping into a Hindu conversation with Hindu concepts that they don't know, and yet they sit down with a bunch of Hindus and want to speak about a religion they don't know or practice.

All I am saying, is that people should actually study the religion Jesus practiced and the idioms and traditions he was always referring to.

If you did that, a person would know what hell is, it is the outer court of darkness where salvation is still available.

Let's say Jesus comes today, will he judge all those who didn't believe in him, or will he offer them hope, love and inclusion? We don't have to guess, the prophets detail what happens in the second coming, HOPE, SALVATION, AND BLESSING IS OFFERED TO ALL PEOPLE AFTER CHRIST COMES.

Why do Christians teach the exact opposite?

Because they don't know the 7 feasts of Christ and what happens on those appointed visitation days, they look at parables and idioms that are purposely clothed in secret demanding the person to study the religion Jesus practiced, but the religion Jesus practiced is shunned.

Those parables are mysteries to people who don't know the comings and goings of the temple, they don't know the worship system of God they are speaking of. They don't know traditions, rituals or the duties and functions of priests, and all this is key in understanding parables and idioms FOUNDED IN JUDAISM.

Everything Jesus said pertains to traditions, rituals and idioms in Judaism, the religion Jesus practiced.

Why don't we study the source? Why don't we study the religion Jesus loved and practiced so we can know what he was teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I recently read Wiese's book 23 Minutes in Hell and couldn't help but write him a few lines. I truly was not expecting to get a response, but I did. The response seemed more like a marketing tool than anything else. I'll let you be the judge. I welcome any and all users on this forum to answer the questions that I posed to Bill in my letter. I asked some very specific questions, and did not get the response I was looking for. I value any and all responses that people could provide. My letter went as follows:

Hello Bill,

I write to you today not as an enemy of Christianity, but as a person that struggles with his faith. To begin, I will give a brief history of myself. I was raised in a die-hard Christian home. As a youth, I was raised in the church, and I attended AWANA's for many years, ultimately achieving the Timothy Trophy before leaving the program. I attended Calvary Bible Church in Burbank throughout my childhood. The current pastor is a person you might be familiar with, Dr. Jack Hughes. But in the end, my mother was so hardcore that she diverted me away from religion. As an adult, I still went to church, but not for the right reasons. I went out of obligation, not because it captivated my interest or because I wanted to grow with my knowledge of the Lord. I have said the sinners prayer many times in my life, but felt no change. I never understood people's fascination with going to church. I never "wanted" to be there. It seemed like an unwanted task verses a desired event. I have prayed many times that God just put the "Vulcan Mind Melt" on me so that I can appreciate the lifestyle that a "true" Christian does. I have never experienced any kind of change in attitude or desire to walk the walk. I bought your book for $13 dollars because the title caught my interest at the supermarket.

I am now beginning to believe that I have the tendencies of a Deist (verses a Monotheist). I believe that God created the universe, but has since washed his hands of his affairs with humans. What else can possibly explain the atrocities that we see in daily life? Just recently, a strong Christian entity in my town lost his son in a car accident. Why would God allow this to happen to a dedicated Christian man, while evil people thrive in every aspect of their lives? I'm so tired of the "You just gotta have faith" mentality. Is this how God rewards his faithful? Why did God allow YOU to have this experience of Hell? Would it not make infinitely more sense to drop that kind of bomb on a wildly popular devout atheist the likes of Christopher Hitchens or Bill Maher, who control the publicity side of the Atheistic fight? They have mega-millions of unsaved followers. Don't you think that would have been a much more realistic approach to the problem? I mean, after all, he is an omniscient God, yes? What makes you think that people will believe you more than any other hellfire and brimstone preacher? If God really wanted to make an impact, he would have allowed an extreme disbeliever this revelation, not you. Heck, I wish that I could experience what you did, as it would surely change my life. You see, I believe in things that I can feel, taste, smell, touch, and understand. The Trinity is one of the major things that does not fall into that catagory for me, amongst many other pieces of Christian doctrine.

I have watched people struggle with faith in God throughout their lives. They try so hard, yet fail in the end. I crunched some numbers recently. There are 1.5 billion Muslims on the planet. There is roughly an equal ammount of Hindus and Buddhists. That right there is half of the worlds population. They say that there are roughly 2 billion "Chistians" on the planet. This, of course, includes many faiths that are not going to Heaven according to Biblical definitions of Christianity, such as Mormons, JW's, and Catholics. That leaves 2 billion people to be accounted for, which are "other" faiths and atheists and agnostics. I last read that 70% of Americans identify with Christianity. We all know, though, that the TRUE number is roughly 20%, if that, per the Bible's definition of "Christianity". We are nowhere near being a "Christian" nation in the U.S. That would mean that, in an optimistic estimate, only 1/14 of the worlds population at any given time in the history of our civilization is going to make it into the "Kingdom of God". That would be roughly 500 million out of 7 billion people. I have a hard time believing that a "loving" God would damn 13/14 of his population to hell. And if this is really true, this is not a God that I feel I can associate with, nor want to spend eternity with. If He was truly omniscient, He would have known at the time of creaton what his creation would divert to, and if he was truly "loving", he would have put a countermeasure in place. Remember, according to the 1.5 billion Muslims on the planet, you're the one going to hell. Now, I'm not trying to stand up for Islam. I'm just stating a point. They were brought onto this earth knowing only Islam. Who is correct by telling them they're wrong. This is all they know. This is just one example.

It seems so simple for "Christians". Jesus is the "Be all and end all" of discussion. There is no other. All other religions are going to eternal damnation except for them, right? I'm sorry, as this just does not "compute" with me. I cannot hold logical debate with my mother, as she ends all discussions with me when she gets flustered. She proves the validity of the Bible with the Bible, and that ends all arguments as far as she is concerned. Once complex issues enter the equation, she ends the conversation, as it is a threat to her belief system.

I could write thirty pages on why I struggle with my faith. Unfortunately, I am a fairly busy individual that regrets he does not have the time to do so. I am not naive enough to believe that I will get a response to this e-mail, but if you choose to respond, I thank you in advance. Any "advice" that you can give before I completely convert to "the dark side" would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Mark (Oregon)

And the following is the response that I got from Bill's wife Annette:

Thanks for writing. Most of your questions are addressed in Bill’s new book, “23 Questions about hell†which comes with a bonus DVD. If you don’t want to spend the $10-15 for the book/DVD, I’m sure you can read it while at Wal-mart or a bookstore. We encourage you to get scriptural information first, before falsely accusing God of being unfair. Mark Twain even said, “We’re all ignorant, it’s just about different things.†Hosea 4:6 says, “My people perish for a lack of knowledge… because they have rejected knowledge (God’s Word).

Annette

Ditch......this whole bit is unscriptural........you have been badly taught like most of the denominations today who have the same cookie cutter pastors teaching the same tripe for decades. Bill is a tool of the underworld and he's using what took place as a way to make money, you know that's not from the bible.

Your pride is showing.....if only YOU were God fairness would reign throughout the land......lol.....no it wouldn't. Your next upside down premise is assuming God is watching for your works to reach a point where Jesus would HAVE to let you in (Jesus will be in debt to no one).......your works at this point are dung.....have you hung on a cross lately? You feel a righteous indignation because you know millions, including people on this forum, feel exactly the way you do.......so you all must be right. WRONG.

Not one person will have worked their way to heaven......thanks to the law telling you that you have failed and are hopeless, you are supposed to fall exhausted into a Saviors arms full of grace and mercy. So here's the deal......YOU are supposed to look and SEE WHAT JESUS DID for all of us......it's not about you but HIM HIM HIM HIM.......to put yourself on that cross with Him who was sinless and yet loved all of our miserable sinful selves He would sacrifice himself in the most horrific way possible. HIS precious blood would buy salvation for all the world who would accept it on HIS TERMS......you think if He were God He would provide a real gospel for all of us to believe.....and He did in 1 Corinthians........

The world that wants to go to heaven and be with the Lord will know and believe they are a sinner, that Jesus died for their sins, was dead and buried and rose to new life on the third day. That's what God really wants us all to believe with every fiber of our being. None of this coming forward publicly stuff....God has published what HE wants us to know not what our denomination wants.

Add Zero to that gospel by the way......note what is not there......no baptism-tithing-works-included they are missing. No law either.......law and grace are mutually exclusive.......so it's FAITH + JESUS + NOTHING

Good luck in your journey and I hope you come back and make the right choice......Jesus is waiting

Old 05-07-2019, 07:01 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiling Bible Truth View Post
This man or others may be having dreams or NDE's, but it is not from God, not the God who despises the Idea of hell. (Assumption, based on many verses.)

Or could it be a load of crap to sell books. Tell the people what they want to hear and profit off of it, Like the left behind movies.
If all the proceeds of the book went to charity, would it still be a load of hogswash?
Everyone just assumes that this is the only motive for writing this book, check out his Facebook page.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.jackson629 View Post
Why is it that you speak of only Christianity as the religion with definitive points of exclusion? All religions at some point say that ONLY THEIR religion is the one true path to God. NOT JUST Christianity. So don't single it out.
I actually believe it is foolish to say "our religion is the only way". Jesus didn't come to create a religion, although it wasn't long before what he came for was turned into one, that threw the very essence of his ministry out the door. Jesus' ministry was to take our attention off of ourselves and onto to the image of the Father which he was according to Hebrews 1:3, better still we are created in that same image, we just don't know it or believe it. So when we take our eyes off of ourselves and onto him, something wonderful happens, the sin that bogs us down( not the sin that bogs us that gets God mad with us) is taken away, because what we behold becomes us.

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

iF Bill Weise was in hell, it was in one of his own making. God is not mad with the world that he created a place to damn folk there to a christian eternity. It does not exist, it's a myth and there is not 1 single verse of scripture that states the purpose of Jesus Christ was to save us from eternal hell.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I recently read Wiese's book 23 Minutes in Hell and couldn't help but write him a few lines. I truly was not expecting to get a response, but I did. The response seemed more like a marketing tool than anything else. I'll let you be the judge. I welcome any and all users on this forum to answer the questions that I posed to Bill in my letter. I asked some very specific questions, and did not get the response I was looking for. I value any and all responses that people could provide. My letter went as follows:

Hello Bill,

I write to you today not as an enemy of Christianity, but as a person that struggles with his faith. To begin, I will give a brief history of myself. I was raised in a die-hard Christian home. As a youth, I was raised in the church, and I attended AWANA's for many years, ultimately achieving the Timothy Trophy before leaving the program. I attended Calvary Bible Church in Burbank throughout my childhood. The current pastor is a person you might be familiar with, Dr. Jack Hughes. But in the end, my mother was so hardcore that she diverted me away from religion. As an adult, I still went to church, but not for the right reasons. I went out of obligation, not because it captivated my interest or because I wanted to grow with my knowledge of the Lord. I have said the sinners prayer many times in my life, but felt no change. I never understood people's fascination with going to church. I never "wanted" to be there. It seemed like an unwanted task verses a desired event. I have prayed many times that God just put the "Vulcan Mind Melt" on me so that I can appreciate the lifestyle that a "true" Christian does. I have never experienced any kind of change in attitude or desire to walk the walk. I bought your book for $13 dollars because the title caught my interest at the supermarket.

I am now beginning to believe that I have the tendencies of a Deist (verses a Monotheist). I believe that God created the universe, but has since washed his hands of his affairs with humans. What else can possibly explain the atrocities that we see in daily life? Just recently, a strong Christian entity in my town lost his son in a car accident. Why would God allow this to happen to a dedicated Christian man, while evil people thrive in every aspect of their lives? I'm so tired of the "You just gotta have faith" mentality. Is this how God rewards his faithful? Why did God allow YOU to have this experience of Hell? Would it not make infinitely more sense to drop that kind of bomb on a wildly popular devout atheist the likes of Christopher Hitchens or Bill Maher, who control the publicity side of the Atheistic fight? They have mega-millions of unsaved followers. Don't you think that would have been a much more realistic approach to the problem? I mean, after all, he is an omniscient God, yes? What makes you think that people will believe you more than any other hellfire and brimstone preacher? If God really wanted to make an impact, he would have allowed an extreme disbeliever this revelation, not you. Heck, I wish that I could experience what you did, as it would surely change my life. You see, I believe in things that I can feel, taste, smell, touch, and understand. The Trinity is one of the major things that does not fall into that catagory for me, amongst many other pieces of Christian doctrine.

I have watched people struggle with faith in God throughout their lives. They try so hard, yet fail in the end. I crunched some numbers recently. There are 1.5 billion Muslims on the planet. There is roughly an equal ammount of Hindus and Buddhists. That right there is half of the worlds population. They say that there are roughly 2 billion "Chistians" on the planet. This, of course, includes many faiths that are not going to Heaven according to Biblical definitions of Christianity, such as Mormons, JW's, and Catholics. That leaves 2 billion people to be accounted for, which are "other" faiths and atheists and agnostics. I last read that 70% of Americans identify with Christianity. We all know, though, that the TRUE number is roughly 20%, if that, per the Bible's definition of "Christianity". We are nowhere near being a "Christian" nation in the U.S. That would mean that, in an optimistic estimate, only 1/14 of the worlds population at any given time in the history of our civilization is going to make it into the "Kingdom of God". That would be roughly 500 million out of 7 billion people. I have a hard time believing that a "loving" God would damn 13/14 of his population to hell. And if this is really true, this is not a God that I feel I can associate with, nor want to spend eternity with. If He was truly omniscient, He would have known at the time of creaton what his creation would divert to, and if he was truly "loving", he would have put a countermeasure in place. Remember, according to the 1.5 billion Muslims on the planet, you're the one going to hell. Now, I'm not trying to stand up for Islam. I'm just stating a point. They were brought onto this earth knowing only Islam. Who is correct by telling them they're wrong. This is all they know. This is just one example.

It seems so simple for "Christians". Jesus is the "Be all and end all" of discussion. There is no other. All other religions are going to eternal damnation except for them, right? I'm sorry, as this just does not "compute" with me. I cannot hold logical debate with my mother, as she ends all discussions with me when she gets flustered. She proves the validity of the Bible with the Bible, and that ends all arguments as far as she is concerned. Once complex issues enter the equation, she ends the conversation, as it is a threat to her belief system.

I could write thirty pages on why I struggle with my faith. Unfortunately, I am a fairly busy individual that regrets he does not have the time to do so. I am not naive enough to believe that I will get a response to this e-mail, but if you choose to respond, I thank you in advance. Any "advice" that you can give before I completely convert to "the dark side" would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Mark (Oregon)

Thanks for writing. Most of your questions are addressed in Bill’s new book, “23 Questions about hell†which comes with a bonus DVD. If you don’t want to spend the $10-15 for the book/DVD, I’m sure you can read it while at Wal-mart or a bookstore. We encourage you to get scriptural information first, before falsely accusing God of being unfair. Mark Twain even said, “We’re all ignorant, it’s just about different things.†Hosea 4:6 says, “My people perish for a lack of knowledge… because they have rejected knowledge (God’s Word).

Annette

I am so "NOT SHOCKED".

Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 PM

154 posts, read 230,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And where do you find this in the scriptures?...
What, specifically?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights

Hello Bill,

Thank You,

Mark (Oregon)

Thanks for writing. Most of your questions are addressed in Bill’s new book, “23 Questions about hell” which comes with a bonus DVD. If you don’t want to spend the $10-15 for the book/DVD, I’m sure you can read it while at Wal-mart or a bookstore. We encourage you to get scriptural information first, before falsely accusing God of being unfair. Mark Twain even said, “We’re all ignorant, it’s just about different things.” Hosea 4:6 says, “My people perish for a lack of knowledge… because they have rejected knowledge (God’s Word).

Annette

If you REALLY want to tick off Bill and Annette then write them and tell them that you found their book so riveting that you are going to recommend to all your thousands of internet friends they go to their libraries and check it out. The thought of losing all that money to free reads from the library will make Bill feel like he died and went to hell all over again.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:05 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I actually believe it is foolish to say "our religion is the only way". Jesus didn't come to create a religion, although it wasn't long before what he came for was turned into one, that threw the very essence of his ministry out the door. Jesus' ministry was to take our attention off of ourselves and onto to the image of the Father which he was according to Hebrews 1:3, better still we are created in that same image, we just don't know it or believe it. So when we take our eyes off of ourselves and onto him, something wonderful happens, the sin that bogs us down( not the sin that bogs us that gets God mad with us) is taken away, because what we behold becomes us.

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

iF Bill Weise was in hell, it was in one of his own making. God is not mad with the world that he created a place to damn folk there to a christian eternity. It does not exist, it's a myth and there is not 1 single verse of scripture that states the purpose of Jesus Christ was to save us from eternal hell.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,603 times
This is my first post on this forum. I realize that this thread has been going for several years snd ther 16 pages of posts.

My initial response to the original post was, "wow, thanks for sharing about your struggles with the faith. Very vulnerable and real."

Then as I started to read the responses, I got sad at how many people ignored the questions in the letter and the issues raised. Instead it became a blast against Bill Weise and a blast on the concept of hell.

The questions and struggles of the original poster were trampled on as well in the effort to send put a trite and humorous or critical response.

I will return another day to answer some of the original questions raised.

For now, this has been my reflection on this string of posts written in the Christian subsection of this forum.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersteve View Post
This is my first post on this forum. I realize that this thread has been going for several years snd ther 16 pages of posts.

My initial response to the original post was, "wow, thanks for sharing about your struggles with the faith. Very vulnerable and real."

Then as I started to read the responses, I got sad at how many people ignored the questions in the letter and the issues raised. Instead it became a blast against Bill Weise and a blast on the concept of hell.

The questions and struggles of the original poster were trampled on as well in the effort to send put a trite and humorous or critical response.

I will return another day to answer some of the original questions raised.

For now, this has been my reflection on this string of posts written in the Christian subsection of this forum.
My brother is Steve. Is that you Steve? LOL!

I just came across this resurrected post. Was ready to answer the OP's questions as best I could and forget about the book but then I saw it is an ancient post and doubtful the OP will see the reply.

I would encourage him to continue to search and visit different Christian Communities outside the rigid one he was raised in. God will meet anyone that seeks him. Might not look like what we are expecting so gotta be wide open.

I agree with your post. Sad the OP wasn't engaged more directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity