Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In terms of audience participation, describe your worship services
Limited vocal participation by the congregation 6 42.86%
Significant amount of vocal participation, but definitely "scripted" 6 42.86%
Frequent spontaneous vocal participation as members feel the Spirit 1 7.14%
Other 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed Velcro Queen's thread about what you remember the day after you go to church. I'd like to start another thread, including a poll, to get some idea about what your church services are typically like. I'd like to focus on congregational participation in terms of vocal responses to the message presented in the a typical worship service. My poll will include four choices.

1. Very limited participation. The congregation participates in hymns, and maybe says "Amen" when a prayer is said, but otherwise primarily sits and listens without much vocal response.

2. Significant amount of response, but scripted. The congregation speaks in unison at certain times during the service, but always in a formal way. People know (or must learn) what to say at various times in response to the priest or minister.

3. A lot of spontaneous response throughout the service. Worshippers frequently say, "Amen!", "Praise God!", "Thank you, Jesus!", "[SIZE=3]Halleluiah!" or something of that sort as they feel prompted to. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]4. Other. Please don't choose "Other" unless one of these three things really doesn't even begin to describe your worship services. If that's the case, explain please.[/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM

95 posts, read 162,463 times
Pretty much everything is scripted in a Lutheran Eucharist since the clergy and congregation chant or speak to one another or God by following the liturgy. There are no spontaneous comments during the service such as one would hear in a Baptist service during sermons or prayers. But in Lutheran churches the pastor asks parishioners to offer up names of those who need the prayers of the church during the general prayer and most people quietly say names of those who are sick for example. During the Peace everyone turns and offers a handshake to those sitting around them and say, "Peace be with you" or something like that. But the people play an active role during worship with hymns, reciting the creed, Our Father and responses to prayers. A person could sit and not say anything and that is OK also but most people are very vocal and make the Eucharist a beautiful experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
SisterKat, I'm wondering what church you are currently attending. Is it a Pentacostal church?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
SisterKat, I'm wondering what church you are currently attending. Is it a Pentacostal church?
Hi Katzpur. I actually have been just going as of late (past few weeks) because this is the Church my son, who is 18, goes to but my son is touring Eastern Canada with his band at present and I miss him so much that I have been going to his church to feel close to him him If that makes sense?

His church is a non denomination Christian based church and this is their Vision:

People and Primary Purpose:

We believe that the primary purpose and calling of every human being is to enter into a love relationship with God, their fellow believers and the lost with whom they live and work.

Church and Primary Purpose:

We therefore believe our purpose as a local church is to create an atmosphere and support network in which this can super-naturally occur. In other words, the mission of our church is accurately described as

To Love God, Love Each Other, and Love Those Yet to Know God

Katzpur, I have done so much reading that I cannot find the Church that quite fits my beliefs but I do like to attend as the Worship music is beautiful and I feel a great connection to God during this time. I do like their vision and philosophy. I also have been getting to know a lot of wonderful individuals there but I often do not agree with the sermon 100%.

I am personally not a loud worshipper but I do tend to shed tears during worship and it annoys the heck out of me.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,083 times
Well, somebody just has to go and mess things up, choosing "other." Sorry!

But truly, my answer is other.

We begin with singing, in which I love to participate, especially when I am just "singing it out" within the congregation. This is followed by the prayers from the siddur -- litany or liturgy, if you prefer --in which all of us participate. After this, the teaching.

During the teaching, or even during other parts of the service occasionally, if anyone has a question, an answer, a statement, a disagreement re what has been said or taught, we have a roving mic that is brought to the one who has raised their hand, and they speak out.

Even the little children not only have questions, but they have given profound, relevant answers that have been stunning. (The children are never separated from the adults where I attend but are very welcome and the parents are encouraged to stay even if a child is having a bit of a fuss. There are only about 150 total persons -- I have never counted, so I don't know -- in the congregation.)

Complete-congregation participation is encouraged.

After we all have lunch together, and we pray the prayer for after eating, we have another opportunity for a small class, in which all who attend participate. The teachers who are there teach the class, and if we have statements or questions, we speak out.

One of the things I love about this place is that if they don't know the answers, they say so, rather than trying to think up an answer.

Last edited by VelcroQueen; 09-24-2010 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Pretty much everything is scripted in a Lutheran Eucharist since the clergy and congregation chant or speak to one another or God by following the liturgy. There are no spontaneous comments during the service such as one would hear in a Baptist service during sermons or prayers. But in Lutheran churches the pastor asks parishioners to offer up names of those who need the prayers of the church during the general prayer and most people quietly say names of those who are sick for example. During the Peace everyone turns and offers a handshake to those sitting around them and say, "Peace be with you" or something like that. But the people play an active role during worship with hymns, reciting the creed, Our Father and responses to prayers. A person could sit and not say anything and that is OK also but most people are very vocal and make the Eucharist a beautiful experience.
That sounds the same as our Presbyterian church. No one yells "amen, haleluia, etc." There are prayers recited by the entire congregation, such as the corporate confession, the Our Father, and fairly long prayers recited during baptisms and confirmations. Some change weekly, like the confession, so you have to read them. Other responses are the same, such as during communion and prayer of thanksgiving, so those end up memorized.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That sounds the same as our Presbyterian church. No one yells "amen, haleluia, etc." There are prayers recited by the entire congregation, such as the corporate confession, the Our Father, and fairly long prayers recited during baptisms and confirmations. Some change weekly, like the confession, so you have to read them. Other responses are the same, such as during communion and prayer of thanksgiving, so those end up memorized.
I think our traditions are quite alike. But my Baptist roots have provided me an interesting comparison to the more formal worship of other Christian denominations. The level of emotional participation can be quite overwhelming in a routine prayer service and speaking out with spontaneous comments directed to the pastor or God is just another way to worship. Choirs can get the typical Baptist church service really going with many people praising God and waving arms in the air. It can be very heightened and active in some pentecostal worship services.

Formal worship can also be quite inspiring and emotional but in a different way. Congregational singing is very uplifting and at the time of the consecration of the element during holy communion when the pastor elevates the bread and wine the hush over the congregation can be just as emotional as a cry out to God.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM

306 posts, read 714,305 times
The thing I love about traditional, liturgical worship is that many of its elements have been in practice for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Grace Lutheran Church's website has a good overview which explains the order and meaning of the traditional Lutheran Divine Worship.

Dancing at Grace « Grace Lutheran Church in Tulsa

I was listening to Pirate Christian Radio Wednesday night and they ran a past Issues, Etc episode that discussed classical Christian worship. If you have an hour, I would check it out.

- Issues, Etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
I am Lutheran (ELCA) and would describe our service the same way Shrimpboat describes hers. We have liturgy both spoken and sung (beautiful, love it!), the creed, several hymns, passing of the peace (greeting others), lifting up names in prayer (if we want to do that out loud), etc.

Nancy

Old 09-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I am Lutheran (ELCA) and would describe our service the same way Shrimpboat describes hers. We have liturgy both spoken and sung (beautiful, love it!), the creed, several hymns, passing of the peace (greeting others), lifting up names in prayer (if we want to do that out loud), etc.

Nancy
Hi Nancy, I am also ELCA Lutheran and love the Mass. My background was so different from liturgical worship but am so grateful that I married into the Lutheran faith and am now a eucharistic minister preparing to begin a 2 year program to become a deacon. The liturgy is many centuries old and makes me feel like I am standing among the early Christians since the Eucharist was how the apostles worshiped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity