Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
We are all so saturarted with sin on the molecular as well as the genetic level that we actually blame God for our sins. No one is born gay or straight but it is the environmnet and events in our lives that make us what we are or chose to be. It is your own mind that makes those choices and it is the world that offers temptation.
I can understand that you think that about modern American Homosexuals but what environmental cause whould drive someone to be gay in Iran when they risk execution?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,147,060 times
God created us and knowing we are born in sin because of Adam passing on the sin nature.. meaning we have the sin gene connected to each of us. God gave us the word, it was made flesh through Jesus and Jesus left us with a helper called the Holy Spirit of God to guide and teach us. We all can be an overcomer to what Satan has done. We can be born into the spirit of God in us. We make Jesus lord over our life.

When we come to Jesus we take baby steps learning through grace how to walk in the spirit and leaving the old sin nature behind.If we sin God forgives and strengthens as one walks with God through a personal relationship with our maker. We become a new creation in Christ Jesus. God is patient with us as we walk in the spirit because we have to overcome the old nature. We must feed on the bread of life which is the living word of God. We walk in new knowledge with strength and power over sin and bondage. We become a Child of God . If we sin , God is there to strengthen us when we repent. God is a loving God and wants us to be happy. We are not condemned when we are born of the spirit. The Holy Spirit teaches us and guides us and speaks to our hearts. Above all God loves us. He wants us happy and knows that thee old serpent Satan is out to kill, steal and destroy what God so loves.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM

478 posts, read 772,993 times
Ok, I know I keep posting here but this subject is reeeeally getting tedious. Here's the deal foks: HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT A CHOICE! PERIOD! You can keep on quoting the bible, continue to speak and repeat the same things over and over again, but fact is- if you refuse to accept logic, science, and just basic common sense, then you will never understand. And I don't even mean forgoing the bible completely- I just mean ignoring everything else BUT the bible. Which is what a lot of you seem to like to do. Keep doing that, and you will never be an understanding, compassionate human being- the kind that jesus himself was (who, by the way, would be utterly appalled at the shallow and backwards mindset some of you have).

It sure seems that a lot of you would rather just berate homosexuals as you are now without knowing anything about what homosexuality is, and the many facets thereof, but for those of you who would like to actually understand it and learn something- take some time and study human sexuality. If not- then button your lip because you have neither the knowledge nor the credibility to ascertain that which you are currently. Anyone who does the research- or who even has a basic understanding of that, combined with behavioral psychology KNOWS that homosexuality is neither a choice, nor a lifestyle. Nor is being gay anything that can ever be "changed" (and just because one stops engaging in intimate relations with one of the same sex does NOT mean he/she isn't gay anymore), nor should it be. Not to mention the same goes for anyone who is in tune with, and fully comfortable in their own sexuality- such people know full well and understand homosexuality is as much ingrained in some as their own heterosexuality is within them.

Some of you like to use the bible as an authority on certain subjects and that's fine- some things cannot be argued the same way as this, like the topic of eternal life or not, etc., but when it comes to a topic like this (homosexuality), and you're using the bible INSTEAD of, and completely ignoring and outright refusing to even entertain or acknowledge the innumerable reasons as to why "it is what it is"- then you're doing yourself a disservice. I don't know why nobody sees this, nor why anyone in their right mind would just blindly adhere to ONE particular source like the bible as the 'end all be all' in place of using their own head and thinking for themselves. Not to mention right here, a gay person is EXPLAINING things to you! Talk about obtuse!

And by the way, it isn't a coincidence that those who are well educated, well travelled have no problem understanding the simple fact that there will always be a percentage (and usually a small one) of people born homosexual. It's very rare to find scholars (with the exception of non-secular degreed people) or worldly people who think homosexuality is anything but just one more interesting wrinkle amidst the many traits that make all of unique and our own person.

Hopefully there will come a day when people will get their heads out of the bible and their hiney and THINK- with their head, as well as their heart. AND with god in mind. When the day comes that people are able to really and truly take an open and honest look around themselves- and as well AT themselves- and this won't even be a topic of discussion. I just hope that day comes sooner than later.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I can understand that you think that about modern American Homosexuals but what environmental cause whould drive someone to be gay in Iran when they risk execution?
Situations and actions can cause many different and strange reactions. No one will publicly admitt to being gay in Iran but if they are caught then they are killed. We all have temptations and urges and we all know that once we give into them no matter how horrendous they may be or how trivial they may seem it gets much easier to do them again even to the point we justify them in any way that makes sence to us. A gay Iranian may be seeking comfort in his temptation even knowing the dire consequences.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Situations and actions can cause many different and strange reactions. No one will publicly admitt to being gay in Iran but if they are caught then they are killed. We all have temptations and urges and we all know that once we give into them no matter how horrendous they may be or how trivial they may seem it gets much easier to do them again even to the point we justify them in any way that makes sence to us. A gay Iranian may be seeking comfort in his temptation even knowing the dire consequences.
Let me ask you this - at what age did you choose to be straight? Have you always been attracted to both sexes but you chose to be attracted to the opposite sex? Are you still attracted to the same sex? Since you believe that it is a choice - I must assume that you are attracted to both sexes. I guess you did make a choice. However, I have only ever been attracted to the opposite sex since I was very little. I had my first boyfriend when I was in preschool. I had a crush on Michael J. Fox when I was very young. But I can see - since you are attracted to both sexes, why you believe that it is a choice. For most people, it isn't. But I can see how your personal experiences have influenced your view on the subject.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vie...ming_out_month

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-02-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Doesn't the same principle of commiting the sin in "thought," like lust, the same as the act itself?
Yes, it is. So, the man of God must be pure in thought as well as deed. But those of the world who think of murder or some other evil act will not be condemned (by the law) until they commit it.

Do you want to be a servant of God? A follower of Jesus? If so, your thoughts must be pure.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
IF it's a sin then it God who is SINNING, since it was God's choice to CREATE me. I've been gay my whole life just as YOU have been straight. You don't understand that because of your biased view that everyone is born JUST LIKE YOU. So why would God sin? I never chose my orientation.
God cannot sin. You are in bondage. But the good news is that God is in the business of freeing us from bondage. God sent his Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sin. He will cleans us from all unrighteousness if we accept what he did on the cross as sufficient to cover our sin. If you want to be clean accept him and then go and sin no more.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God cannot sin. You are in bondage. But the good news is that God is in the business of freeing us from bondage. God sent his Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sin. He will cleans us from all unrighteousness if we accept what he did on the cross as sufficient to cover our sin. If you want to be clean accept him and then go and sin no more.
Having a sexual orientation means I"m in bondage? How am I in any more 'bondage' than a straight person? How is existing a sin? a sexual orientation is an orientation. I'm no more 'lustful' than any straight person.. actually LESS so than MOST straight people, since I"M 33 and have barely even dated, yet I've been gay my whole life.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Ok, I know I keep posting here but this subject is reeeeally getting tedious. Here's the deal foks: HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT A CHOICE! PERIOD! You can keep on quoting the bible, continue to speak and repeat the same things over and over again, but fact is- if you refuse to accept logic, science, and just basic common sense, then you will never understand. And I don't even mean forgoing the bible completely- I just mean ignoring everything else BUT the bible. Which is what a lot of you seem to like to do. Keep doing that, and you will never be an understanding, compassionate human being- the kind that jesus himself was (who, by the way, would be utterly appalled at the shallow and backwards mindset some of you have).

It sure seems that a lot of you would rather just berate homosexuals as you are now without knowing anything about what homosexuality is, and the many facets thereof, but for those of you who would like to actually understand it and learn something- take some time and study human sexuality. If not- then button your lip because you have neither the knowledge nor the credibility to ascertain that which you are currently. Anyone who does the research- or who even has a basic understanding of that, combined with behavioral psychology KNOWS that homosexuality is neither a choice, nor a lifestyle. Nor is being gay anything that can ever be "changed" (and just because one stops engaging in intimate relations with one of the same sex does NOT mean he/she isn't gay anymore), nor should it be. Not to mention the same goes for anyone who is in tune with, and fully comfortable in their own sexuality- such people know full well and understand homosexuality is as much ingrained in some as their own heterosexuality is within them.

Some of you like to use the bible as an authority on certain subjects and that's fine- some things cannot be argued the same way as this, like the topic of eternal life or not, etc., but when it comes to a topic like this (homosexuality), and you're using the bible INSTEAD of, and completely ignoring and outright refusing to even entertain or acknowledge the innumerable reasons as to why "it is what it is"- then you're doing yourself a disservice. I don't know why nobody sees this, nor why anyone in their right mind would just blindly adhere to ONE particular source like the bible as the 'end all be all' in place of using their own head and thinking for themselves. Not to mention right here, a gay person is EXPLAINING things to you! Talk about obtuse!

And by the way, it isn't a coincidence that those who are well educated, well travelled have no problem understanding the simple fact that there will always be a percentage (and usually a small one) of people born homosexual. It's very rare to find scholars (with the exception of non-secular degreed people) or worldly people who think homosexuality is anything but just one more interesting wrinkle amidst the many traits that make all of unique and our own person.

Hopefully there will come a day when people will get their heads out of the bible and their hiney and THINK- with their head, as well as their heart. AND with god in mind. When the day comes that people are able to really and truly take an open and honest look around themselves- and as well AT themselves- and this won't even be a topic of discussion. I just hope that day comes sooner than later.
- Jesus was a compassionate guy all right. The question is, did he overlook the people's sin? No. He dealt with them with compassion. He listened, he spoked, and he forgaves.

- Can science explain how wicked the heart is?

- I find it kind of strange that that small percentage is actually not small at all. Every, or most, homosexuals will openly admit that they are born that way. Are you sure that it is a small percentage?

A Christian (overall) needs to understand that the heart is wicked and there should be daily repentance. A Christian's identity is not found in what we do (jobs, etc) and who we are (name, height, gender, etc), but it is found in Christ.

Last edited by ho hey!; 10-04-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.