Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
And "God is love"

Sounds like you're wrestling with a contradiciton there sport.
Yes God is love. But that doesn't mean that we as humans can love everybody sexually. There are restrictions, and that's has been my main point in this thread. We can love, with an agape love, a love that God commands all of us to have for each other, but when you are saying that the love covers me loving the same sex and justifying having sex with the same sex on the grounds that God is love, then, show me in the bible where God said that I can love the same sex to the point of having sex with him, then I will shut the bleep up!!!.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Why should Christians (and anyone else) be interested to know what homosexuality is? This doesn't make any sense. I don't have problem with anyone choosing to be homosexual, but I am not interested to know their reasons, etc. It is their business, not mines.
You gave the PERFECT example of WHY you need to know. Because you believe the lie that people CHOOSE to be gay. Which is the CORE reason behind the discriminatory laws and the thought that 'gay people deserve it because they made a lifestyle choice' Beliefs affect behavior which affects LIFE ITSELF. IF you choose to be ignorant (which is the real sin) than you choose to add to pain and suffering.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
You gave the PERFECT example of WHY you need to know. Because you believe the lie that people CHOOSE to be gay. Which is the CORE reason behind the discriminatory laws and the thought that 'gay people deserve it because they made a lifestyle choice' Beliefs affect behavior which affects LIFE ITSELF. IF you choose to be ignorant (which is the real sin) than you choose to add to pain and suffering.
Here's what Merriam-Webster says:

1ho·mo·sex·u·al

adj
\ˌhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\
Definition of HOMOSEXUAL

: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

: of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex

ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly adverb
First Known Use of HOMOSEXUAL

Hmmm.....stuff we already know. So what are we missing as far as what else there is to know about homosexuality? I must be missing the point here. I don't mean to be condescending but anything beyond a literal meaning is speculation, such as whether or not one is born gay or whether or not it's a choice. I made a choice to be celibate, and so can others no matter what their sexual preference. I'm still on the fence as far as how I actually feel about the whole gay thing, but one thing I know for sure is that it is in fact, a choice.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I totally disagree with discrimination against gays and their lifestyle. I hate what is happening to all these young people who are gay and committing suicide because they feel they have no other way out. It's terrible and I can understand that part of the ignorance and intolerance you are talking about.

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 10-10-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

1ho·mo·sex·u·al

adj
Definition of HOMOSEXUAL

: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

: of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex

ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly adverb

Hmmm.....stuff we already know. So what are we missing as far as what else there is to know about homosexuality? I must be missing the point here. I don't mean to be condescending but anything beyond a literal meaning is speculation, such as whether or not one is born gay or whether or not it's a choice. I made a choice to be celibate, and so can others no matter what their sexual preference. I'm still on the fence as far as how I actually feel about the whole gay thing, but one thing I know for sure is that it is in fact, a choice.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I totally disagree with discrimination against gays and their lifestyle. I hate what is happening to all these young people who are gay and committing suicide because they feel they have no other way out. It's terrible and I can understand that part of the ignorance and intolerance you are talking about.
I think that is the point - that it is not a choice. Having sex is a choice but who you are attracted to is not. Homosexual does not refer to only people who are actively engaging in sexual activity - it refers to their sexual orientation. You can be celibate and still be homosexual. You can be celibate and still be a heterosexual. It's not like people are asexual until they have sex. The homosexuality part is in no way shape or form a choice - having sex is. I certainly did not choose to be straight. And every single gay friend and relative that I know certainly did not choose to be gay.
I think the more that people are educated on this one fact - the better it will be for everyone.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I totally disagree with discrimination against gays and their lifestyle.
Funny thing, I do not know any gay person with a lifestyle just as I don't know any non-gay person with a lifestyle. I do know many gay (and non-gay) people with lives. When you use the term lifestyle you make it seem like a choice, it is not. That term can be very derogatory and is used to justify treatment of gays and lesbians as less than equal.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
[quote=Ilene Wright;16207274]Here's what Merriam-Webster says:

1ho·mo·sex·u·al

adj
Definition of HOMOSEXUAL

ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly adverb

ACTUALLY SINCE YOU"RE INCORRECT> IT"S NOT A FACT> you're talking to an UNCHOSEN GAY PERSON RIGHT NOW. Since I"m walking proof that you're INCORRECT. Now that you've been proven incorrect. time to readjust the worldview

Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
[quote=Rlarson21;16211939]
Quote:
I made a choice to be celibate, and so can others no matter what their sexual preference. I'm still on the fence as far as how I actually feel about the whole gay thing, but one thing I know for sure is that it is in fact, a choice.
I apologize for not reading all of the posts in this thread, but there are so many! So are you saying that the attraction is a choice or that the decision to act on it is a choice? I'm not gay but I have always believed that the attraction itself is not a choice but that the decision to act on it is.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 AM

223 posts, read 268,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Yes God is love. But that doesn't mean that we as humans can love everybody sexually. There are restrictions, and that's has been my main point in this thread. We can love, with an agape love, a love that God commands all of us to have for each other, but when you are saying that the love covers me loving the same sex and justifying having sex with the same sex on the grounds that God is love, then, show me in the bible where God said that I can love the same sex to the point of having sex with him, then I will shut the bleep up!!!.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think that is the point - that it is not a choice. Having sex is a choice but who you are attracted to is not. Homosexual does not refer to only people who are actively engaging in sexual activity - it refers to their sexual orientation. You can be celibate and still be homosexual. You can be celibate and still be a heterosexual. It's not like people are asexual until they have sex. The homosexuality part is in no way shape or form a choice - having sex is. I certainly did not choose to be straight. And every single gay friend and relative that I know certainly did not choose to be gay.
I think the more that people are educated on this one fact - the better it will be for everyone.
Agreed!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:

1ho·mo·sex·u·al

adj
Definition of HOMOSEXUAL

ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly adverb

Sister Ilene, you are clearly confusing what a person is with what a person does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity