Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolair View Post
Ok, how about this: You shall honor your father and your mother....
Yes you can under any circumstances.

Quote:

Truth be told, when it says not to lay with another man in the way you lay with a woman, that's pretty specific.

I am not saying is is not specific, in fact it is so specific that you will not associate it with lesbianism and it is also so specific that you can tell homosexual males to not engage in that act, because homosexuality is not defined by it.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM

22 posts, read 23,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes you can under any circumstances.

I am not saying is is not specific, in fact it is so specific that you will not associate it with lesbianism and it is also so specific that you can tell homosexual males to not engage in that act, because homosexuality is not defined by it.
The statement about honoring your father and mother is to say a family consists of parents of the opposite sex.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Definition of SODOMITE
: one who practices sodomy
See sodomite defined for English-language learners »

First Known Use of SODOMITE
14th century
Sodomite - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of SODOMY
: anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal
— sod·om·it·ic \ˌsä-də-ˈmi-tik\ or sod·om·it·i·cal \-ti-kəl\ adjective
See sodomy defined for English-language learners »

Origin of SODOMY
Middle English, from Anglo-French sodomie, from Late Latin Sodoma Sodom; from the homosexual proclivities of the men of the city in Genesis 19:1–11
First Known Use: 13th century
Sodomy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Jude 1:7 Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

Genesis 19:5 and they (the men of the city) called to Lot and said to him, ''Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them.''

Lot offered his daughters instead, but the men of Sodom wanted to have sexual relations with the men instead.

Genesis 19:6 But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, 7] and said, ''Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly. 8] Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof.'' 9] But they said, ''Stand aside.'' Furthermore, they said, ''This one came in as an alien, and already he is acting like a judge; now we will treat you worse than them.''

Gen 13:13 'Now the men of Sodom were wicked exceedingly and sinners against the LORD.' The men of Sodom indulged gross immorality and went after strange flesh...more specifically, homosexuality.

Sodomite = one who practices sodomy. Sodomy = anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal.

Sodomy certainly includes homosexuals. Homosexuals are sodomites.
First of all, your ignorance of the story of Sodom is duly noted. The story involved gang rape. That isn't homosexuality. And it's statistically impossible for all of Sodom to have been gays. Not to mention, Lot would not have offered his daughters to be raped if the men were gay (and btw, how charming - Lot offering his daughters to be raped. Great morals you live by). Gang rape is bad, but it's not the primary reason for Sodom being destroyed.

Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw [good].

It was how the villagers treated strangers - by being arrogant and greedy and not offering them anything that God destroyed Sodom. Learn history already would you.

As for your definition, that means all heterosexuals are sodomites too. Nonetheless, that's not what the original meaning of the word is based on the Bible.

Deut 23:17 There shall be no ***** of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.

From the Hebrew:

קָדַשׁ

Qadesh

1) male temple prostitute

That's what is defined as a sodomite in the Bible. Dictionaries develop words based on common usage, not their original meaning. And words change. There was no concept of "homosexual" in the Bible, so to claim Sodom was full of homosexuals is nothing but intellectual dishonesty.

And honestly Mike, and you and koolair are some of the nastiest people I've ever dealt with here. You behave much like Fred Phelps and his disgusting family.
You seriously need to re-examine things if you in anyway think you behave like a Christian or like Christ.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ." - Gandhi

Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolair View Post
The statement about honoring your father and mother is to say a family consists of parents of the opposite sex.
No it says the most common family in that culture was the opposite sex, not the only. Also keep in mind, when that law was written, Wives had no rights - they were property, they were usually around 12 years old when they were forced to be married, and they typically had to share their husbands with other wives.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 PM

22 posts, read 23,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
First of all, your ignorance of the story of Sodom is duly noted. The story involved gang rape. That isn't homosexuality. And it's statistically impossible for all of Sodom to have been gays. Not to mention, Lot would not have offered his daughters to be raped if the men were gay (and btw, how charming - Lot offering his daughters to be raped. Great morals you live by). Gang rape is bad, but it's not the primary reason for Sodom being destroyed.

Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw [good].

It was how the villagers treated strangers - by being arrogant and greedy and not offering them anything that God destroyed Sodom. Learn history already would you.

As for your definition, that means all heterosexuals are sodomites too. Nonetheless, that's not what the original meaning of the word is based on the Bible.

Deut 23:17 There shall be no ***** of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.

From the Hebrew:

קָדַשׁ

Qadesh

1) male temple prostitute

That's what is defined as a sodomite in the Bible. Dictionaries develop words based on common usage, not their original meaning. And words change. There was no concept of "homosexual" in the Bible, so to claim Sodom was full of homosexuals is nothing but intellectual dishonesty.

And honestly Mike, and you and koolair are some of the nastiest people I've ever dealt with here. You behave much like Fred Phelps and his disgusting family.
You seriously need to re-examine things if you in anyway think you behave like a Christian or like Christ.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ." - Gandhi
You don't really believe in Christ anyway. Just using the Bible to find contradictions. Honestly, for someone who actually uses a concordance (not like many Christians), you have to be someone of a truly wicked conscience to deny the very truths you should have become aware of by now. G'day I'm out.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,483 times
Quote:
Exactly, not to mention it never condemns Lesbians. Either way, it's not a blanket condemnation on homosexuality. And considering how Christians ignore almost every other Torah law, I don't get why this one carries so much weight, aside from blatant hypocrisy.

Romans 1:26,27 does condem woman having sex with other woman. And the same verses condem men having sex with other men. And that chapter says nothing about temple prostitutes. And those who push that belief do so based on nothing than their own imagination. The post is on christians and homosexuality. So that is the topic we are on. If you want to speak about another sin. Feel free to do so. Speaking on topic has nothing to do with blatant hypocrisy.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,483 times
Quote:
Forcing prayer in school is a violation of the Constitution. Teaching kids gay people are not evil is not. The founding fathers would be rolling in their graves because of the theocracy right wing fundamentalist nutcases like yourself keep trying to turn this country into.

Prayer was said in the public schools all the way up till 1947. The Bible was the first book many students used to learn how to read. The courts through prayer and Bible reading out some years back. And now as a replacement, we teach our boys how to put their condems on. What a demented society we have become.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
most christians don't even know what homosexuality IS> homosexuality is NOT a lifestyle it is NOT a choice because it's not an action. homosexuality is an unchosen sexual orientation. The question is aking to asking if black people can be Christians. For some reasons many Christians perceive homosexuality to be a sinful life choice. If you actually TALK to gay people you will discover that those are untrue lies. Gay people know the MOST in this world on what homosexuality MEANS. When somoene says they are gay they are revealing their sexual orientation. They not telling you that they've even ever had sex. When someone tells me that they're straight there is no 'morality' being inferred. They're also not even inferring that they even have ever had sex, they're revealing their sexual orientation. They're revealing an UNCHOSEN sexual orientation... a part of their born core idenity. if you think a sexual orientation is a sin it's akin to thinking a skin color is a sin. Both were equally NOT chosen. Again, this is coming from the first hand source of a gay person
True Christians wont hate you, because True Christiasns will realize that you are one of gods children as much as they are. The ones that spread messages of hate twords you will suffer the wrath of the God they claim to love

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Prayer was said in the public schools all the way up till 1947..
Great strides have been made in this country since 1947. Religion is one thing that absolutely should NOT be taught in public schools.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Great strides have been made in this country since 1947. Religion is one thing that absolutely should NOT be taught in public schools.
Religion....NO. Basic principles of how to live and how to behave.....YES. That includes but is not limited to PRAYER. I see a theme here with you Doug S.......you are here simply to bash Christianity and all that it entails. Being the one who sees all and knows all.....that must be a huge burden to bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity