Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's not a matter of shortage. As I learned it part of the reason biologists believe a "pair bond", romance, exists at all is because our infants are weaker than that of many species. So they need the aid of a couple. Love, Romance, or whatever you choose to call it serves to form those couples. I think generally speaking couples without kids are less stable and more likely to break up.

In Christianity part of the point of marriage is traditionally procreation. In early Christianity the ideal was often more to live a life of celibate service, but those who could not manage that could aid the community through reproduction and family I suppose. Marriage without procreation is not really adding much to the community. It can be tolerated with heterosexuals because the Bible clearly shows sterile heterosexuals can/should be allowed to marry. It gives no support for same-sex marriage. (Although certain parts of the Old Testament imply Platonic same-sex friendships might have been in some sense been allowed to be "bonded" in a "blood brother" type arrangement.)
To be honest - as much as I value your opinion - I disagree with you on many points. Knowing what I know of you and your thinking - I understand why what you have said makes sense to you. However, I disagree with you that couples with out children are less stable. I don't believe that this is something you could necessarily measure - because couples that stay together simply because they have children even though they are unhappy would skew any sort of statistics you could find. Also - I describe an unhappy couple that stays together just for their children stable. I know many couples - both divorced and not divorced - and the numbers seem to be fairly equal between the ones with children and the ones with out. I also know couples who got divorced because having children changed their relationship with each other and they were no longer compatible. And I know many couples that have been together for over 30 years that never had children.

I also disagree that couples with out children don't add anything to the community. I'm not even sure how you would measure who adds and who doesn't add to the community. I think that, in most people, it is human nature to seek a life partner. Most people want someone to share their life with - to wake up with every morning, to talk to every day, to laugh with, to cry with, to support, to share their burden with, to share their joy with, to love. In my little lake community - there are couples here that do not have children. It's true that most of the people here do have children- but it is a very family oriented area. However, the couples that don't have children seem to be just as active in the community. Also - there are all sorts of reasons couples choose not to have children. For some - they want to have children but are unable. And there are many gay couples that want to have children. I personally know a bunch of gay couples that have children - and they are the best parents. They are so grateful for their children - and their children love their parents so much.

To be honest with you - if religious people wanted to have a monopoly on marriage and decided that marriage only existed in the church between heterosexuals - that would be fine with me. As long as the government recognized civil unions or whatever they choose to call them - I'd be fine with that. I would be just fine with having a civil union with my husband as long as we still had the same rights, etc. I really don't care what you choose to call my relationship with my husband - as long as every person in this country has the same rights and the same opportunity regardless of sexual orientation. If you want to have a seperate religious ceremony or name or pact - that is totally fine with me.

While I understand your feelings- I think that some of these things are impossible to understand if you have never been in love. I don't say this to be mean as I believe that you don't have a desire to ever be in love. I hope you take this the right way. Please know that I don't mean to be insulting - but I believe that you don't place any importance on romantic love and I feel that marriage, partnership, etc is impossible to understand completely unless you have experienced it or have a desire to do so.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
most christians don't even know what homosexuality IS> homosexuality is NOT a lifestyle it is NOT a choice because it's not an action. homosexuality is an unchosen sexual orientation. The question is aking to asking if black people can be Christians. For some reasons many Christians perceive homosexuality to be a sinful life choice. If you actually TALK to gay people you will discover that those are untrue lies. Gay people know the MOST in this world on what homosexuality MEANS. When somoene says they are gay they are revealing their sexual orientation. They not telling you that they've even ever had sex. When someone tells me that they're straight there is no 'morality' being inferred. They're also not even inferring that they even have ever had sex, they're revealing their sexual orientation. They're revealing an UNCHOSEN sexual orientation... a part of their born core idenity. if you think a sexual orientation is a sin it's akin to thinking a skin color is a sin. Both were equally NOT chosen. Again, this is coming from the first hand source of a gay person
1. Homosexuality is NOT synonymous with being black. 100% false. Homosexuality is about behavior - being black is not.

2. Everyone has a certain disposition to a certain sin(s). Some people are easily angered, which may lead to violent behavior. Some people are easily sexually aroused while others are not. Some "type A" people are easily led to power. I would put homosexuality in this category. Everyone is different and has their sin of choice. Everyone sins. Everyone needs a Savior - that is Jesus who has died for the sins of all so that you are able to be reconciled to God through faith in Christ.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times
Quote:
most christians don't even know what homosexuality IS> homosexuality is NOT a lifestyle it is NOT a choice because it's not an action. homosexuality is an unchosen sexual orientation. The question is aking to asking if black people can be Christians. For some reasons many Christians perceive homosexuality to be a sinful life choice. If you actually TALK to gay people you will discover that those are untrue lies. Gay people know the MOST in this world on what homosexuality MEANS. When somoene says they are gay they are revealing their sexual orientation. They not telling you that they've even ever had sex. When someone tells me that they're straight there is no 'morality' being inferred. They're also not even inferring that they even have ever had sex, they're revealing their sexual orientation. They're revealing an UNCHOSEN sexual orientation... a part of their born core idenity. if you think a sexual orientation is a sin it's akin to thinking a skin color is a sin. Both were equally NOT chosen. Again, this is coming from the first hand source of a gay person
I'm a christian, and I know exactly what homosexuality is. I don't believe that the stereotypes are true, even though I have made friends with a very flamboyant man. I think I may be the odd one out. Although I am not homosexual myself, I don't really have a fear or hate for them. I have never even gotten into a whole debate or rant about gay marriage as I see others do. I guess I am a confuzzled christian chick. I mean, I do believe that it is a sin, I just don't go around bashing gays. If a person wants to be gay, let them. It is his/her life. Let god or whoever they believe in deal with it. It is not up to fellow man to judge others.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God gives them over, in the lusts of their hearts, to the uncleanness of dishonoring their bodies among themselves,

The lusts of their hearts were already there. It is just that specific individuals are given over to those lusts as a disciplinary act (see Rom.1:20 onward)

Rom 1:27 Likewise also the males, besides, leaving the natural use of the female, were inflamed in their craving for one another, males with males effecting indecency, and getting back in themselves the retribution of their deception which must be."

Old 09-27-2010, 04:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times
Originally Posted by Rlarson21
I guarantee you becoming born again won't change my sexual orientation. As a teenager I became a a born again Christian and became heavily involved in the church afterwards. I even went on to major in religion in college.
You are a born again Christian, yet you practise willful and habitual sin? You must realize that sin and Christ are incompatible, and any sin is a rebellion against God

Um, AGAIN Your post PROVES MY POINT. you don't know what homosexuality EVEN IS. It's not a 'practice' nor a 'sin slip' It's a part of my born identity. I'm gay TYPING THIS RIGHT NOW. I'm a homosexual twenty four hours a day SINCE BIRTH.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM

I do believe that it is a sin, I just don't go around bashing gays. If a person wants to be gay, let them. It is his/her life. Let god or whoever they believe in deal with it. It is not up to fellow man to judge others.

That's my point. A sin entails a CHOICE and an ACTION. what you're saying is like saying blackness is a sin. Did a black person CHOOSE to be black? If being black is a sin a CHOICE and an ACTION must be involved. Blackness isn't a 'behavior' or a choice' the same way as my sexual orientation. AGain, my post accurately describes that YOU don't know what homosexuality is.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM

. Homosexuality is NOT synonymous with being black. 100% false. Homosexuality is about behavior - being black is not.

2. Everyone has a certain disposition to a certain sin(s). Some people are easily angered, which may lead to violent behavior. Some people are easily sexually aroused while others are not. Some "type A" people are easily led to power. I would put homosexuality in this category. Everyone is different and has their sin of choice. Everyone sins. Everyone needs a Savior - that is Jesus who has died for the sins of all so that you are able to be reconciled to God through faith in Christ.

1. you're incorrect it's EXACTLY synonomous with being black. homosexuality involves NO choice. It's an INTERIOR TRAIT. I know because I've experienced this trait first hand my whole life. I've never NOT been gay like a black person has NEVER NOT been black.

2. My 'disposition' is the same as YOUR disposition.. It's called a SEXUAL ORIENTATION. Is heterosexuality a disposition comparable to BEING ANGRY or DOING DRUGS?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
. Homosexuality is NOT synonymous with being black. 100% false. Homosexuality is about behavior - being black is not.

1. you're incorrect it's EXACTLY synonomous with being black. homosexuality involves NO choice. It's an INTERIOR TRAIT. I know because I've experienced this trait first hand my whole life. I've never NOT been gay like a black person has NEVER NOT been black.

2. My 'disposition' is the same as YOUR disposition.. It's called a SEXUAL ORIENTATION. Is heterosexuality a disposition comparable to BEING ANGRY or DOING DRUGS?
Learn the quote function, your posts are confusing.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Learn the quote function, your posts are confusing.
Sorry. I'm new here.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Sorry. I'm new here.

Good job newbie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity