Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Homosexualty or homosexual relationships are almost ALWAYS out side of the context of marriage because they are not permitted to marry!. There are so many gay couples who would love to make their relationships official and consecrated by their church but most states and many denominations deny them this privelege.
They should also be permitted to adopt. I have yet to hear of a gay couple beating a child to death.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It is a sin just like any other sin...Which is disobeidience to God...

Can a man continue to murder and still get to heaven? After all, it is just another sin showing disobeidience to God.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Homosexualty or homosexual relationships are almost ALWAYS out side of the context of marriage because they are not permitted to marry!. There are so many gay couples who would love to make their relationships official and consecrated by their church but most states and many denominations deny them this privelege.
They should also be permitted to adopt. I have yet to hear of a gay couple beating a child to death.

Yet Scriptures tells us that no homosexuals will enter the kingdom of God. So why would homosexuals call themselves Christian. Scripture teaches us that many would worship God with their lips. Yet their heart is far from Him. Jesus tells us those who love Him are those who keep His commandments. Homosexuals may one day make their relationship legal in the eyes of the government. Yet such a relationship will never be legal in the eyes of God.

1 Cor. 6:9

Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Yet Scriptures tells us that no homosexuals will enter the kingdom of God. So why would homosexuals call themselves Christian. Scripture teaches us that many would worship God with their lips. Yet their heart is far from Him. Jesus tells us those who love Him are those who keep His commandments. Homosexuals may one day make their relationship legal in the eyes of the government. Yet such a relationship will never be legal in the eyes of God.

I used to consider scriptures as my bible too. lol
Then I read about the contraversial way the bible came to be & found many contradictions...
So I've opted for using my God-given brain, along with experience & intuition in figuring out things like homosexuality.
I don't disregard the entire bible - but I use it as a parable - up for interpretation, not my primary source of info.
Do you realize that the scriptures don't only say laying with men as if they're women is an abomination... but also tell us about "eunuchs" - which have been argued to be homosexuals.
So, I don't depend on scripture to tell me about sex. I know how I was created, how I created my children & about anatomy & health.

IMO, anybody who is honest & self-aware enough to explore the depths of their soul... has entered into the kingdom of God. Jesus said, "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation... the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:23) Being honest & self-aware includes looking at the mirror both internally & externally - appreciating our beautiful bodies, miraculously conceived through a man & woman. Then - making the most of our bodies, gender & lives, as nature/God intended. If we begin having thought/feelings inconsistent with our nature ... we don't just say, "Oh, I must have been born this way" We explore with "Why am I thinking this way? If I acted on my feelings, would it be consistent with the reality of my nature/gender... would it be healthy?"

Last edited by SuperSoul; 05-09-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
One can't be sure the eternal destinty of his soul is secure because of his belief in a few verses of the Bible while choosing to ignore the other ones. The fact is we don't get to choose what attributes of God/the Bible we like (e.g. love, peace, forgiveness) while ignoring the others (love the poor, holiness). That's called being lukewarm and Revelation says God hates those people more than the hot or cold ones.

I think it's fine we each have our views (i.e. the person who said two consenting gays in a relationship was the same as two heteros) - but that doesn't mean our views are right. Only the Word of God (i.e. Bible) is right. Anything else is just us trying to rationalize it. Another word for rationalize = rational lies.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Denverian,
Apparently 28% had the time - over their entire life-span.
I'm happy for you that you & probably your partner have been monogomous & have not acquired STDs nor health problems. Still, you are the exception, statistically.

I have no problem with homosexuals, having friends & family who I love & respect, with those tendencies. I do have a problem with teaching homosexuality to be natural & healthy when it so often isn't. Children are especially vulnerable to this... In a study, many 12-year-olds were confused about gender identity.
Psychotherapy for the "Gay" Teenager
Councilors sent them to gay community centers or gay clubs - who welcomed them & likely leaned them toward gay tendencies, when they were simply exploring identity, as most kids that age are.

Also, children benefit from the different but complimentary parenting styles of a mother & father. They can't learn how to relate to the opposite sex well, if they never see it in their family. Besides how we all were conceived, many studies support that children need a mother & father...

"Children Need Both A Mother And A Father"
Dr. A. Dean Byrd
http://www.narth.com/docs/needboth.html

"Why Children need both Mother-Love and Father-Love"
Glenn T. Stanton
http://www.jashow.org/Articles/_PDFArchives/social-issues/2SI0804G.pdf

"Mothers' and Fathers' Socializing Behaviors in Three Contexts: LInks with Children's Peer Competence"
Pettit, Gregory S.; Brown, Elizabeth Glyn; Mize, Jacquelyn; Lindsey, Eric
http://business.highbeam.com/425075/article-1G1-55415046/mothers-and-fathers-socializing-behaviors-three-contexts

"Why Children Need a Mother and a Father"
Bill Muehlenberg
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2010/10/18/why-children-need-a-mother-and-a-father/
Sorry, I view all this material as bigoted propaganda.

I've known many gay men throughout my life, and most of my friends from college settled down with someone. I don't believe that 28% of gay men have had over a thousand sex partners for a minute. I looked into one of these bigoted studies once and they had interviewed male prostitutes, and then applied their findings to all gay men. Logistically speaking, it would be quite difficult to accomplish such a goal! I am not some one-in-a-billion oddity among gay men and base my findings off of reality, not off of outdated, biased research presented by gay hating Christian extremists.

And as a gay parent, I'm offended by the anti-gay parenting propaganda. The information they present disregards the uniqueness of gay people and how we don't follow the heterosexual male/female, masculine/feminine roles. Between my partner and me, we have feminine characteristics that allow us to both mother and father our children. And I know plenty of gay couples with children and they turn out fine - no different than those raised by heterosexuals. You should be happy that we're willing to take in children that heterosexuals abandoned, and as a group, not add to the overpopulation problem of this planet!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Can a man continue to murder and still get to heaven? After all, it is just another sin showing disobeidience to God.
I think God is much more displeased by people who use him to compare gay people to murderers, and use religion to justify hatred and bigotry.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I respect your respect for seeing both sides.
I believe everyone needs to feel validated - it's healing & helpful in moving on.

It seems there are 4 perspectives in this type of discussion/debate:
1. Homosexuals - either confused or feeling threatened
2. Homosexual supporters - who want to be seen as peaceful & loving, at all costs
3. Homosexual condemners - who justify condemning homosexuals for their imperfect illusions, while they have imperfect illusions too.
4. Homosexuality demythifiers - who present facts of health, psychological & sociological problems associated with homosexuality.

I consider myself #4. I respect peoples for who they are, but I won't pretend that some illusional fad has not proved to be harmful, when it has.
I see homosexuality like anorexia. Anorexics have an aversion to food, homosexuals have an aversion to heterosexual sex. Our bodies were clearly designed to eat & digest food. Our bodies were clearly designed for heterosexual sex. When we go too long, trying to avoid what is good for us, our bodies start to change... (Even studies show that those who play the part of the opposite sex start to develop similar hormones etc.) Then, we require artificial substitutes - the anorexic gets fed intraveiniously & the homosexual finds substitutes for herosexual affection. Pretending that an anorexic is fat or that they are just fine, not eating, is not helping them - it's hurting them. Similarly, pretending homosexuality is natural & healthy is not helping - it's hurting. That's not to say we ridicule them... No! We need to show more love & understanding... but not by endulging their illusions.
You're waaaay off base. See, it's not about sex. It's about love, and who you can fall in love with. I can't fall in love with a woman. Never. I have sex with the person I love, and share my life with. You boil it all down to sex acts. Homosexuality is not hurting me. In fact, I'm in much better health than most people my age because I work out and eat right. You're just looking for yet another way to justify bigotry.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
Quote:

Ah, Corinthians 6:9. You do realize that Corinthians was a LETTER to the church of Corinth? And even then, the exact behavior that Paul describes in this case is a certain Roman religious ritual that just so happened to involve sex between a man and a boy, whether the boy liked it or not. You cannot take the English translations for being as they appear, you need the original Greek/Hebrew text in order to understand exactly what is going on. For a very important case of this, read John 21:15-17 and tell me what you find in the English.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You obviously need to learn the Bible. Romans is not talking about gays. Paul's audience was Greek and Roman heterosexuals who were obsessed with pederasty and prostitution. Get a clue.
To the contrary. Romans 1:26 'For this reason (previously mentioned) God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27] and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penaly of their error. The passage up to this point is talking about homosexual behavior. The passage goes on to describe other sins.

No matter how you try to slice it, women lying with women, and men lying with men is homosexual behavior and it is a sin. The only natural sexual relationship which the Bible recognizes is a heterosexual one (Gen 2:21-24; Matt 19:4-6) within marriage. All homosexual relationships constitute sexual perversion and are subject to God's judgment.

You mention pederasty. Here is the definition of pederasty. Pederasty | Define Pederasty at Dictionary.com

Here is a site concerning homosexuality, including pederasty in ancient Greece.
Homosexuality in ancient Greece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a site concerning homosexuality, including lesbianism in ancient Rome.
Homosexuality in ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally, here is commentary on Romans 1:26-27.

Romans 1:26 Bible Commentary

Romans 1:27 Bible Commentary

God condemns homosexuality. And Romans 1:26-27 is one such passage which makes that clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity