Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM

11,318 posts, read 11,082,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
By the way, do you think it's okay for a father to offer up his two young virgin daughters to be gang raped? Apparently God thinks so, as Lot was saved. Interesting how that point is "glossed over". Today that would be seen as an horrendous thing for a father to do.
Now now Jaymax, don't be going and asking questions like that. Christians don't like to talk about that sort of stuff. My old pastor at church sure didn't. The story is "taken out of context" as he put it. That might lead people to believe that god is flexible. I'm sure according to most die hard Christians, that was one of those stories that (fittingly, of course) got "mistranslated".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM

11,318 posts, read 11,082,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I didn't start the thread. I'm simply replying to it. The word of God is clear that homosexuality is a sin.
You sound like a broken record in every one of your posts. Why can't you answer my simple question. If you consistently have the time to write the posts you do condemning everyone, I thought for sure that you would have a moment to answer my question with a clear rational response. It really is not a difficult inquiry.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,411,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible is talking about homosexuality.

Romans 1:26] For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural (lesbianism), 27] and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men commiting indecent acts (homosexuality) and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. Here it is plainly stated that men are having sex with other men. That is homosexuality.

Leviticus 18:22 'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination Again, a male lying with a male is homosexuality.

Genesis 19:5 states that the men of the city wanted to have relations with the men (who were really angels) who were in Lot's house.

In 1 Corinthians 6:9 homosexuality is mentioned along with fornication and adultery, as being a sin.

There is nothing obscure about these or the other passages which declare homosexualtiy to be a sin. And nothing has been taken out of context.

People who choose to practice their lusts in defiance of the word of God, will go to any length to justify their actions.

And whether homosexual sex is one on one, or in temple sex orgies, it is still homosexuality and is forbidden by God.

Again, the passages above say that a man shall not lie with a man. That is homosexuality.
So basically you completely ignored everything I wrote and are just mindlessly parroting the same thing over and over.

It would have been mainly (if not all) heterosexuals in pagan temples worshipping fertility gods and goddesses with ritual sex practices.
So by your "logic", that would mean heterosexuality is forbidden by God.
Prostitution by heterosexual females is condemned in the Bible, so by your "logic" that would mean all heterosexual women are condemned.

As for those two (once again cherry-picked and out of context) Leviticus verses, try some research on the worshipping practices of the Canaanites to shed some light on what it might be referring to. Those verses do not refer to homosexuals per se. And they definitely do not refer to women. Find out what "to'ebah" means and how it is used in the all the Leviticus chapters. Hint: It doesn't mean "abomination" in the same way we use it in the 21st century and it was most often used with idolatrous practices or ritually impure practices.

And why aren't you bringing up ALL the laws in Leviticus which you and every other Christian completely disobey every day? There are 613 of them. Yet you just pick one and ignore the rest because it suits your prejudice?

You can keep posting the same handful of modern English translations of obscure cherry-picked verses all you like. And keep ignoring the fact that the cultural contexts in which they were written no longer exist in the 21st century.

Your lack of knowledge about this topic and your indoctrinated prejudice against homosexuals is blindingly obvious.

People who choose to bear false witness, slander, back-bite and judge others "in defiance of God's word" while hypocritically ignoring the parts of God's word that condemn their own actions.... will go to any lengths to justify their actions.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-03-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,233,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
For you, is it possible to love the person but hate what that person does?
Sure, then you need to go around protesting and yelling about every other sin that every person does every day. We have isolated a couple "sins" and made them our focus.

We should be preaching the good news, not condemning one group solely.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,574,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
We should be preaching the good news, not condemning one group solely.

But that would deprive a seemingly vast majority of 'believers' of their, at least in their eyes, god given right to judge and express their intolerance and hatred for anyone different than them. Intolerance and hatred which seems to get a free pass as long as some 'scripture', almost always out of context, is quoted.

Most believers say they believe in a loving god, but their words and actions prove otherwise.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:29 PM

33,351 posts, read 26,577,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

So basically you completely ignored everything I wrote and are just mindlessly parroting the same thing over and over.

It would have been mainly (if not all) heterosexuals in pagan temples worshipping fertility gods and goddesses with ritual sex practices.
So by your "logic", that would mean heterosexuality is forbidden by God.
Prostitution by heterosexual females is condemned in the Bible, so by your "logic" that would mean all heterosexual women are condemned.

As for those two (once again cherry-picked and out of context) Leviticus verses, try some research on the worshipping practices of the Canaanites to shed some light on what it might be referring to. Those verses do not refer to homosexuals per se. And they definitely do not refer to women. Find out what "to'ebah" means and how it is used in the all the Leviticus chapters. Hint: It doesn't mean "abomination" in the same way we use it in the 21st century and it was most often used with idolatrous practices or ritually impure practices.

And why aren't you bringing up ALL the laws in Leviticus which you and every other Christian completely disobey every day? There are 613 of them. Yet you just pick one and ignore the rest because it suits your prejudice?

You can keep posting the same handful of modern English translations of obscure cherry-picked verses all you like. And keep ignoring the fact that the cultural contexts in which they were written no longer exist in the 21st century.

Your lack of knowledge about this topic and your indoctrinated prejudice against homosexuals is blindingly obvious.

People who choose to bear false witness, slander, back-bite and judge others "in defiance of God's word" while hypocritically ignoring the parts of God's word that condemn their own actions.... will go to any lengths to justify their actions.
I am simply stating the absolute word of God. Though you think your arguement is with me, you are in fact arguing with God. And as I told another on this thread, homosexuality is a sin before, during, and after the law. The law was given only to Israel. Not to the Gentiles, and not to the Church. But sin is sin forever, and homosexuality is a sin. God does not change.

Culture has nothing to do with it. The only thing that matters is what God says about it.

And with regard to your comment concerning heterosexual sex, OUTSIDE of marriage, it is indeed a sin.

You try hard to justify homosexuality, but God has made it clear that homosexuality is a sin.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM

127 posts, read 277,937 times
If it were natural to be homosexual, than they would naturally be able produce children.

Last edited by kendsley; 10-03-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 12:37 PM

33,351 posts, read 26,577,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You sound like a broken record in every one of your posts. Why can't you answer my simple question. If you consistently have the time to write the posts you do condemning everyone, I thought for sure that you would have a moment to answer my question with a clear rational response. It really is not a difficult inquiry.
The only topic of this thread is homosexuality. And the broken record says once again, that the word of God declares homosexuality to be a sin. It's just that simple.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Being gay i KNOW that my sexual orientation wasn't a choice, I would've rather had cancer than been gay. I was always a very religious kid. My main goal in life was always to fit in and blend in with the crowd. The LAST thing I would want would to be different. Recently it dawned on me that the reason many Christians REFUSE to accept the FACT that a sexual orientation is NOT a choice is because this would mean that THEIR understanding of the LITERAL interpretation of the bible (albeit not accurately interpreted because of cultural context misunderstandings and mistranslations) IS INCORRECT. This would make them question THEIR WHOLE WORLDVIEW. If the Bible can be wrong about ONE thing maybe other things are incorrect too..

The problem is SO MANY people KNOW gay people and know their truths and their lives. THERE WOULD BE no struggle if it was CHOICE. Homosexuality being a CHOICE would END homosexuality. Gay teenagers who have a CHOICE don't commit suicide over their sexual orientation. THEY JUST CHANGE THEIR ORIENTATION. Common sense and first hand proof via ASKING GAY PEOPLE proves that being gay is NOT a choice. Unfortunately this DOES prove that FUNDAMENTALISTS version of the Bible has been proven to be INCORRECT. So what this really is all about is THEM and their SELFISHNESS. They'd rather keep things IN THEIR MINDS the way they want them to be FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT and HARM gay people rather than embrace the possibility that they could be INCORRECT. It's an EGO thing. Thoughts?
I've had this exact same thought for many years. Fundamentalists want the world to be very black and white with no gray areas. They have their rigid views and they're sticking with them. People like my own parents can see me, their gay son with a partner and kids, and know deep down that I didn't choose to be gay (they admitted they suspected as far back as pre-school) and can see that I live a normal, healthy life and am raising kids in a positive way. Yet they still go to a homophobic mega church that tells them I'm going to hell. How on earth do they reconcile all that in their heads? I don't know, but they are extremely rigid in their religious views and beliefs. Like you said, if they allowed themselves to acknowledge what they know is the truth about me, they'd be forced to completely re-evaluate their religious beliefs and try to figure out what else they've been taught may be wrong, leave their church, and struggle with religion. Maybe they're just too lazy to do all that.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
If it were natural to be homosexual, than they would naturally be able produce children.
I suppose it's "natural" for human beings to keep reproducing and causing the population to exponentially rise, which has lead to masses of humans living in inhumane conditions and poverty? My personal belief is that homosexuality in humans is completely natural as the overall population rises. The higher the population goes, the more humans live in misery. It can only go so far before something wipes out millions or billions of humans. So what's your choice? Waiting for famine or a pandemic to kill off a couple billion people? Or having more gay men on the planet to plan your weddings, arrange your flowers, perform in your musicals, set fashion trends, and keep your homes and hair looking fabulous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity