Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Man, just reading these posts make me wish the bible was banned, ugh. What an awful, horrible book that does nothing more than spread hate.
Belief in chastity for homosexuals is not hatred. Belief in chastity for heterosexuals, for that matter, is not hatred. The Shakers believed everyone should be celibate. I really don't think that's because they hated people. The Shakers had some obsessive and apocalyptic tendencies, but that aside I think they did more good than harm. They invented many things, had good hygiene, and I think they loved each other in their way. (They still exist, but there's only like four to six of them) Maybe in modern thinking you only encourage a deprivation because you're hateful, but that doesn't mean modern thinking is correct. I think one can certainly discourage various pleasurable things without it being a sign of hate.

The Gospels commandments to give away everything and serve the poor has led many to quite the opposite of hatred. Think Katharine Drexel, Dorothy Day, Bishop Tutu, the Salvation Army, etc. I imagine at least some of the homosexuals who chose a chaste life became saints at least of a kind. And even those homosexuals who are not chaste I don't think are to be hated. Anymore than Adulterers or Hindus are to be hated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmiller2 View Post
I think you forget that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality and Christians live from Christs doctrines do they not?
The Gospels speak against fornication and adultery. Jesus describes marriage as being between a man and a woman. So it certainly seems to follow that homosexual sex is not allowed. (Okay I admit I know one way around that. There are cultures that believe homosexual sex is not sex at all because it is not intercourse. If it is not sex it is not adultery or fornication even if it can't be marriage either. Still I'm really skeptical that's a plausible "out" or that gays and lesbians would take to the idea that what they do is not sex.)

Jesus doesn't specifically talk about consensual incest between siblings or necrophilia either, but I think you'd really need a cross-eyed perspective to say he's supportive. Obviously homosexuality is nothing like those two, but my point is I think a lack of explicit mention does not equate to acceptance.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Your post is silly and juvenile.
But somehow, believing in an "invisible guy in the sky" who watches and judges your every move is not silly and juvenile. Yep, that makes sense.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
If it is cheating that is not love, even if it is voluntary it could cause harm if feelings and emotions arn't taken into account. If your focus is on what Jesus DID and not on a list, you will be guided to make the right choices for all involved.

You mentioned "the list" of sins, as I said why skip over some of them, eiher obey them all for your salvation or trust in Jesus.
I mentioned a list of sins only because you first brought up the subject of a list.

Being saved through faith in Christ does not give you a license to sin. Sin doesn't cause you to lose your salvation, but it brings about divine discipline.
Homosexuality is a sin before, during, and after the law which you also were the one to bring up.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,151 times
So your God makes them gay ( they are born gay) then punishes them for being gay and wants them to live a life alone and in a lie. Real nice loving god ya got there.

The hate in this thread is disgusting, I am so glad I am not a Christian.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
So your God makes them gay ( they are born gay) then punishes them for being gay and wants them to live a life alone and in a lie. Real nice loving god ya got there.

The hate in this thread is disgusting, I am so glad I am not a Christian.
How about this ...

God makes them with natural relations (men \ women) Romans 1:27,
  • Matthew 19:4
    "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'
  • Genesis 1:22
    God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.
They (not God) exchange natural for unnatural shameful lusts Romans 1:26

They recieve due penalty for their perversion Romans 1:27
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
    • the sexually immoral:
      • nor idolaters
      • nor adulterers
      • nor male prostitutes
      • nor homosexual offenders
The only hate here is those who hate God and want or approve perversion

Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Being gay i KNOW that my sexual orientation wasn't a choice, I would've rather had cancer than been gay. I was always a very religious kid. My main goal in life was always to fit in and blend in with the crowd. The LAST thing I would want would to be different. Recently it dawned on me that the reason many Christians REFUSE to accept the FACT that a sexual orientation is NOT a choice is because this would mean that THEIR understanding of the LITERAL interpretation of the bible (albeit not accurately interpreted because of cultural context misunderstandings and mistranslations) IS INCORRECT. This would make them question THEIR WHOLE WORLDVIEW. If the Bible can be wrong about ONE thing maybe other things are incorrect too..

The problem is SO MANY people KNOW gay people and know their truths and their lives. THERE WOULD BE no struggle if it was CHOICE. Homosexuality being a CHOICE would END homosexuality. Gay teenagers who have a CHOICE don't commit suicide over their sexual orientation. THEY JUST CHANGE THEIR ORIENTATION. Common sense and first hand proof via ASKING GAY PEOPLE proves that being gay is NOT a choice. Unfortunately this DOES prove that FUNDAMENTALISTS version of the Bible has been proven to be INCORRECT. So what this really is all about is THEM and their SELFISHNESS. They'd rather keep things IN THEIR MINDS the way they want them to be FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT and HARM gay people rather than embrace the possibility that they could be INCORRECT. It's an EGO thing. Thoughts?
All people are created with sexual desires, but the Bible does not allow us to act out on the desires any way we want. The only acceptable sexual practise is sex between a married man and woman. Period. Anything else is sexual immorality, and the Bible speaks very strongly against it.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM

50,350 posts, read 63,928,555 times
OPs question is very interesting. If God made us in his image, and loves us all equally despite our differences, how does a "Christian" who rejects a gay person reconcile this?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
I wouldn't say that it disproves Christianity in its entirety. The way I see it is most world religions have some nuggets of wisdom and some aspects that could and should be done away with. The homophobic aspects of certain sects should be done away with but that doesn't take away from the parts of religion that are spot on.

For example, Christianity teaches us to love God (however you interpret God) and love others, pray for your enemies, be humble, are all of which are great virtues. On the other hand, I think it's fair to say the passages in the Bible that (arguably) condemn homosexuality are a product of social and cultural attitudes of a certain time in history. Those passages in the Bible can easily be done away with while preserving the more timeless passages, which are timeless because they resonate with truth on a much more profound level.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
How about this ...

God makes them with natural relations (men \ women) Romans 1:27,
  • Matthew 19:4
    "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'
  • Genesis 1:22
    God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.
They (not God) exchange natural for unnatural shameful lusts Romans 1:26

They recieve due penalty for their perversion Romans 1:27
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
    • the sexually immoral:
      • nor idolaters
      • nor adulterers
      • nor male prostitutes
      • nor homosexual offenders
The only hate here is those who hate God and want or approve perversion
You cant hate something that doesn't exist, you on the other hand are full of it for those that are born different than you and you hate because a book ( full of hate) tells you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity