Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:57 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
reading through a thread this morning, the thought returned to me:
Darwin talked about "the survival of the fittest." Those of any species which did not have the adaptive properties necessary to survive were naturally excluded from the continuation of the species. The strongest survived, the weakest died out.

This idea of the evolution of mankind seems strikingly similar to many peoples' ideas about God and man: those who are "strong enough" to accept Jesus in this life will "evolve" into eternal life. Those who are "too weak" will die off.

Is this perhaps why Christians are so against the theory of evolution, simply because the theory of evolution is so similar to their beliefs about God??

Curious to hear thoughts on this..

Blessings to all (even the "weak")!
brian
No, Christianity favors the week and the poor. That is why Christianity was hated by many organizations in history. Christianity's basis is in the week and needy and the poor. So, it is oposite to Darwins hypothesis where only the strong survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, Christianity favors the week and the poor. That is why Christianity was hated by many organizations in history. Christianity's basis is in the week and needy and the poor. So, it is oposite to Darwins hypothesis where only the strong survive.
But isn't heaven reserved only for those who are "strong enough" to choose Christ??

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM

122 posts, read 191,472 times
Quote:
Amen !!!

Darwin's philosophy and Christianity teaching..... have absolutely nothing paralleling one to another, they are total opposites of thought, word, and deed. Not even with our wildest imagination can one compare the two, dangerous play ground to venture on !!!

Matthew 9:11-13
11. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12. When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
13. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

• Those who suppose their souls to be without disease (sin) will not welcome the spiritual Physician. This was the case with the Pharisees; they despised Christ, because they thought themselves whole; but the poor publicans and sinners felt that they wanted instruction and amendment. It is easy, and too common, to put the worst constructions upon the best words and actions. It may justly be suspected that those have not the grace of God themselves, who are not pleased with others' obtaining it. Christ's conversing with sinners is here called mercy; for to promote the conversion of souls is the greatest act of mercy. The gospel call is a call to repentance; a call to us to change our minds, and to change our ways. If the children of men had not been sinners, there had been no need for Christ to come among them. Let us examine whether we have found out our sickness, and have learned to follow the directions of our great Physician.
Matthew 9 Commentary - Matthew, or Levi's feast. - BibleGateway.com

Matthew 5:3

“ Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • The poor in spirit are happy. These bring their minds to their condition, when it is a low condition. They are humble and lowly in their own eyes. They see their want, bewail their guilt, and thirst after a Redeemer. The kingdom of grace is of such; the kingdom of glory is for them.
Matthew 5 Commentary - Who are blessed. - BibleGateway.com

God will give his blessing to those who acknowledge their spiritual need !!

Isaiah 66:2
"For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD "But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.

Luke 18:14
"I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

God Bless

Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
But isn't heaven reserved only for those who are "strong enough" to choose Christ??

Blessings,
brian
It does not take strength to accept Christ. It is in our desperation when we can no longer do it on our own that we lean upon the everlasting arms. When we realize we cannot do it.

There is nothing that we can do in Christ but accept what he already did.

So, the faith of the believer is just the acceptance of Christ and a ceasing of our own work.

BTW, who cares about heaven, it is just another place like New York or LA. Us Christians just want to go to Jesus Christ. When he comes to the earth we want to be with him and will abide on earth.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLadybugs! View Post
Amen !!!

Darwin's philosophy and Christianity teaching..... have absolutely nothing paralleling one to another, they are total opposites of thought, word, and deed. Not even with our wildest imagination can one compare the two, dangerous play ground to venture on !!!

11. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12. When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
13. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

• Those who suppose their souls to be without disease (sin) will not welcome the spiritual Physician. This was the case with the Pharisees; they despised Christ, because they thought themselves whole; but the poor publicans and sinners felt that they wanted instruction and amendment. It is easy, and too common, to put the worst constructions upon the best words and actions. It may justly be suspected that those have not the grace of God themselves, who are not pleased with others' obtaining it. Christ's conversing with sinners is here called mercy; for to promote the conversion of souls is the greatest act of mercy. The gospel call is a call to repentance; a call to us to change our minds, and to change our ways. If the children of men had not been sinners, there had been no need for Christ to come among them. Let us examine whether we have found out our sickness, and have learned to follow the directions of our great Physician.

• The poor in spirit are happy. These bring their minds to their condition, when it is a low condition. They are humble and lowly in their own eyes. They see their want, bewail their guilt, and thirst after a Redeemer. The kingdom of grace is of such; the kingdom of glory is for them.

"For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD "But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.

"I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

God Bless
Quote:
It does not take strength to accept Christ. It is in our desperation when we can no longer do it on our own that we lean upon the everlasting arms. When we realize we cannot do it.

So, the faith of the believer is just the acceptance of Christ and a ceasing of our own work.

BTW, who cares about heaven, it is just another place like New York or LA. Us Christians just want to go to Jesus Christ. When he comes to the earth we want to be with him and will abide on earth.

Darwin claimed that only those of a species who were "strong enough" would survive and reproduce. Those who were "unadapted" died off.

Likewise, traditional Christianity tells us the same thing: you must make a decision for Christ, otherwise you will "die off." In other words, only a select few will be allowed into heaven.

"Natural selection" at its finest!!

I still can't understand why so few people see this!...

Blessings to all, both those who "make it" and those who "don't",
brian

Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
I get what you are saying;just saying I don't see any resemblence,per my own beliefs.but I appeciate what you are saying,nonetheless.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM

783 posts, read 815,390 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
reading through a thread this morning, the thought returned to me:
Darwin talked about "the survival of the fittest." Those of any species which did not have the adaptive properties necessary to survive were naturally excluded from the continuation of the species. The strongest survived, the weakest died out.

This idea of the evolution of mankind seems strikingly similar to many peoples' ideas about God and man: those who are "strong enough" to accept Jesus in this life will "evolve" into eternal life. Those who are "too weak" will die off.

Is this perhaps why Christians are so against the theory of evolution, simply because the theory of evolution is so similar to their beliefs about God??

Curious to hear thoughts on this..

Blessings to all (even the "weak")!
brian
I agree they can be buddies and they should be.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLadybugs! View Post
Amen !!!

God Bless
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
I agree they can be buddies and they should be.
While it may not take "strength" to accept Christ, for some, it does take strength to accept that one is fallible and vulnerable. This kind of strength would then come from knowing that you are in some respects weak.

The Bible would then be more related to inner strength than outer strength.

As far as outer strength, some Bibles are rather heavy. I have gotten some biceps from lifting my Archaeological Study Bible.

By the way, as far as Darwin and Christianity, they both laugh at us from the other side.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
The so called smart and strong of the world the intellectuals who reject Christ. The scientists who are puffed up knowing a few things about the world. How small and unknowing they really are.

They give names to things that God has created, and figures out a few things that God has set up in his creation and yet many reject God as the Great Creator.

Who can know all? Does any man know all? God has many intricate creations that we will never master here. Man is finite and God is infinite. The mysteries and greatness and unending learning of God and what he has made could not be known by us.

To say there is no God is to say you do not exist. How man does not see this , he is blind by his ego, his own small wisdom . Do they not know that God unlocks his mysteries to us though his grace for us.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 AM

Let's try from another example:

According to Darwin, giraffes have developed long necks in order to be able to reach the leaves remaining at the tops of the trees. Those with long necks eat and live. Those with short necks....

According to traditional Christianity, those who are able to "reach" salvation (through faith, adequate free will, etc. etc...) will live forever. Those who can't or won't or who don't have faith... are lost forever.

So traditional Christianity tells us that "the strong in faith will survive." This seems to me, strangely "similar" to Darwin. If not identical.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity