Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,353,864 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how Christians view this. It's said somewhere in the Bible that God does not condone the worshiping of other Gods. Does that mean that there are other Gods in heaven and he is the top one? Or does it mean that any other Gods that people might worship do not really exist and should not be considered worthy of being worshiped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,037,363 times
I don't think it has to do with worshipping more than one God as there is only one. The names we give Him don't matter as long as we call Him. I think that applies to living Gods. Like when we put another before God. It's like worshipping your mother over God or worshipping Jesus over God. Most christians break that commandment everyday because they worship the son and not the Father. Any person, past , present or future, is never to be put before God in worship. We can put them before in every other aspect but not worship. Even a prayer can be directed at another person and still be answered by the Father. Only the Father can make one at-one with Him through His substance of Divine Love so He is the only one to be worshipped.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,371,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I'm not sure how Christians view this. It's said somewhere in the Bible that God does not condone the worshiping of other Gods. Does that mean that there are other Gods in heaven and he is the top one? Or does it mean that any other Gods that people might worship do not really exist and should not be considered worthy of being worshiped?
I've been told repeatedly I have "God-like" good looks, does that count?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,590,696 times
Quote:
The Bible is clear that there are other gods.

I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible where those other gods are in heaven. The only god that is in heaven is God.

1Corinthians 10:18-22 gives some insight about who or what the other gods are:

Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord's jealousy?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The Bible is clear that there are other gods.

I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible where those other gods are in heaven. The only god that is in heaven is God.
In 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 Paul says, "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

So, even though he is acknowledging others who are called "gods," not only on earth but in heaven, he is absolutely clear in stating that they have nothing whatsoever to do with us. To us there is only one God.

Quote:
1Corinthians 10:18-22 gives some insight about who or what the other gods are:

Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord's jealousy?
True, but without belaboring the point, we need also to consider these:

Exodus 18:11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.

Deuteronomy 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward...

Joshua 22:22 The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in transgression against the LORD...

2 Chronicles 2:2 And the house which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods.

Psalm 95:3 For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.

Psalm 136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Psalm 138:1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

We can't just assume that every reference to "gods" is a reference to false gods, idols or demons. Otherwise, we'd have to be able to explain what on earth some of the above verses mean in the context of how we have defined the word "gods." For example, would we feel comfortable in saying that God is "the God of false gods"? Of course not. I think that in order to be safe, we need to pay attention to what Paul said in the verses I started out with. We have no idea who these beings the scriptures calls "gods" are. All we know is that the Bible says they exist and that they are completely irrelevant in our lives. It is when we start worshipping them that they become "false gods" because they cannot hear or answer our prayers or have any affect in our lives.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-28-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM

9,702 posts, read 10,069,375 times
The other God in the Bible are natural spirit or fallen angels that the Supernatural Lord Jesus rejected and these world spirits are stuck in hell or on the earth and cannot go to Heaven where the Lord and his Children are. ..... For example God of Civil libertarianism, demi-gods of Hindus religion, antichrist god of humanism faith, the god that said through people I am my own god ...... all are god of the natural and spirits stuck on the earth..... or other gods in the word of God like baal who Israel worshiped and sinned against the true Lord God and were judged and lost their land many times were natural fallen angel and demon type manipulation gods and not Supernatural like the Most High Lord God of Jesus

Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,597,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I've been told repeatedly I have "God-like" good looks, does that count?
You funny!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,106,093 times
Quote:
I don't think the fact that other gods exist means that they are worthy of being worshipped. If a god doesn't love me, care about me or answer my prayers, why should I worship him? The God I worship does all of that and more. The others don't.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,597,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think the fact that other gods exist means that they are worthy of being worshipped. If a god doesn't love me, care about me or answer my prayers, why should I worship him? The God I worship does all of that and more. The others don't.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,633,334 times
Quote:
There are no other 'Gods'. There are false 'gods' but only one God, who is a triune being.

Isaiah 43:10 ''You are my witnesses,'' declares the LORD, ''And My servant whom I have chosen. In order that you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He, Before Me there was no God formed. And there will be none after Me. 11] ''I, even I, am the LORD; And there is no savior besides Me. 12] ''It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, And there was no strange god among you; So you are My witnesses,''declares the LORD, ''And I am God. 13] ''Even from eternity I am He; And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?''

Isaiah 44:6 ''Thus says the LORD, the king of Israel And His Redeemer, the LORD of hosts; I am the first and the last. And there is no God besides Me. 7] And who is like Me? Let him proclaim and declare it....8]''...Is there any God besides Me, Or is there any other rock? I know of none.'

Isaiah 45:21 ''Declare and set forth your case; Indeed, let them consult together. Who has announced this from old? Who has long since declared it? Is it not I, the LORD? and there is no other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior; There is none except Me. 22] ''Turn to Me, and be saved, all the ends of the earth; For I am God, and there is no other.''

Isaiah 46:9 ''Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me.''

When the Bible talks about other gods, it refers to idols, such as Molock or Baal. But anything that is put above God is an idol and therefore a false god. Money can be a god (Matthew 6:24) for instance.

Isa 46:6 'Those who lavish gold from the purse and weigh silver on the scale Hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; They bow down, indeed they worship it.

The planets were worshiped as gods. Jupiter - king of the Greek pantheon of gods. Mars - god of war, Venus - goddess of love. Mercury - god of mischief I think. He was swift.

Also, in the ancient world, people in positions of authority were sometimes called gods.

Exodus 21:5 ''But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man.' 6] then his master shall bring him to God (the judges who acted in God's name), then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-28-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity