Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,014 times

Advertisements

Should I join the Episcopalian or Roman Catholic Church to become a Monk?

I feel very alienated from 21st century American culture, and while I will not begrudge those who chose to enjoy a life of hedonism, for myself I would prefer to reject both money and sexual pleasure in the monastic life.

I consider myself to be an orthodox trinitarian Christian in belief, although I'm not yet baptized or a member of any church. Philosophically I'm closest to the Jansenism of Pascal, which is similar to Calvin's predestination and total depravity. I guess I'm more Protestant in temperament, but on the other hand the point of Puritanism is to purify the world and not withdraw to the cloister. So in that sense I'm rejecting the very thing that drew me to Protestantism.

In the past I admired the more democratic church governance of the congregationalists, but having matured with age, I see now the value of hierarchy and authoritarianism.

The Episcopal church is much more conveniently closer to my home, and they do seem more friendly and inviting than the Catholics. And the 35 Articles are closer to my theological Protestantism. On the other hand the modern day EC, is essentially catholic in dogma, combined with social liberalism. Now I like that the EC is leftwing on some issues, since I consider myself a leftist, but my leftist grows out of my social conservatism. Thus while the EC is slightly more liberal on foreign policy and economics, which I support, it is MUCH more liberal than the RCC on social issues, which I'm less comfortable with. And its not like the Episcopalian Church is a radical liberation theology church anyway when it has members like Spiro Agnew, Karl Rove, george bush, and Britt Hume. So in sum the EC is only slightly to the left on issues I agree with, but way to the left on social issues I'm queasy about.

And I guess the final and most important point to consider is that my ultimate goal is to become a Monk. The Episcopal church has far less monasteries than the RCC, and is less stable institutionally, and thus might place more obstacles. If there were a huge difference between the RCC and EC, I might be willing to make those sacrifices for the sake of Beliefs. But the theological differences are not that great, so it doesn't seem worth it.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
For light duty monkhood you go Episcopalian. For the heavy duty stuff you go RC.

I am not one but was educated by the catholic variety for some years and have a great fondness for some. My father was also a Christian brother before he gave it up and went straight...and conceived 5 children.

My parents had great fondness for the trappists...who are at the extreme. If you wish to suffer to cleanse your soul they have the way. They were also heavily involved in the catholic worker movement...an alternative vocation for those who wish to do good under religious auspices.

If however you want to live right and do good. The Episcopalians or one of the lighter RC orders.

I am being somewhat flippant...but that is what it will come down to in the end.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 PM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
I could be wrong but my sense of most religious communities is that they are not very political or liberal when it comes to church teachings. The focus on vocation tends to be devotional unless you are interested in monasteries that promote work among the poor or in institutional settings like hospitals. I have gone on retreats in both Roman Catholic and Episcopalian monasteries and found them both quite enlightening and perfect for contemplation and prayer. I think the future for religious communities, however, is waning and many have closed in recent years due to the lack of recruits and the aging of the brothers.

There actually are some Lutheran monasteries in America and one Benedictine house in Michigan is quite interesting though very small; I spent a week at St Augustine's House and thoroughly encountered God.
Saint Augustine's House Lutheran Monastery in Oxford Michigan

Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Well, I have only ever spent time in Buddhist Monastaries, so I cannot say for certain. I know that if I went to one, it would have to be Buddhist.

I often attend masses in the Episcopal church, as they are friendlier and less cliquish than catholics, but that is just my opinion. Some might disagree.
I am not sure as to the extent of monastaries in the episcopal church but it would be an interesting project.
IF I had to choose a brand of traditional Christianity, it would have to be Episcopal, no doubt about it. But like I said I would choose a Buddhist monastary over a Christian one any day. I would suggest that you look within the RC order of Jesuits, Francisicans etc See which of those best suits your beliefs before you decide. I know that they are NOT all the same.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Jesus created the Catholic Church to spread His good news to the corners of the world. King Henry VIII created the Anglican church so he could get a divorce. Is there anything else you must know?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Jesus created the Catholic Church to spread His good news to the corners of the world. King Henry VIII created the Anglican church so he could get a divorce. Is there anything else you must know?
Some of the passages of the RC church actually top that. So I would not let it be a criteria...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchredempt View Post
Should I join the Episcopalian or Roman Catholic Church to become a Monk?

I feel very alienated from 21st century American culture, and while I will not begrudge those who chose to enjoy a life of hedonism, for myself I would prefer to reject both money and sexual pleasure in the monastic life.

I consider myself to be an orthodox trinitarian Christian in belief, although I'm not yet baptized or a member of any church. Philosophically I'm closest to the Jansenism of Pascal, which is similar to Calvin's predestination and total depravity. I guess I'm more Protestant in temperament, but on the other hand the point of Puritanism is to purify the world and not withdraw to the cloister. So in that sense I'm rejecting the very thing that drew me to Protestantism.

In the past I admired the more democratic church governance of the congregationalists, but having matured with age, I see now the value of hierarchy and authoritarianism.

The Episcopal church is much more conveniently closer to my home, and they do seem more friendly and inviting than the Catholics. And the 35 Articles are closer to my theological Protestantism. On the other hand the modern day EC, is essentially catholic in dogma, combined with social liberalism. Now I like that the EC is leftwing on some issues, since I consider myself a leftist, but my leftist grows out of my social conservatism. Thus while the EC is slightly more liberal on foreign policy and economics, which I support, it is MUCH more liberal than the RCC on social issues, which I'm less comfortable with. And its not like the Episcopalian Church is a radical liberation theology church anyway when it has members like Spiro Agnew, Karl Rove, george bush, and Britt Hume. So in sum the EC is only slightly to the left on issues I agree with, but way to the left on social issues I'm queasy about.

And I guess the final and most important point to consider is that my ultimate goal is to become a Monk. The Episcopal church has far less monasteries than the RCC, and is less stable institutionally, and thus might place more obstacles. If there were a huge difference between the RCC and EC, I might be willing to make those sacrifices for the sake of Beliefs. But the theological differences are not that great, so it doesn't seem worth it.

What are your thoughts?
As a Catholic, who has taken many retreats at a trappist monastery, my 2 cents.

Many monastary's will welcome your inquiry. Should it be discerned that you may be well suited to monastic life, a period of further discernment where you would reside with and take part in the monastery's daily routine will most likely be part of the process.

I remember one retreat, talking to a man who had met with the abbot regarding his desire for monastic life. It was determined that he was not a good candidate. It was determined that he was merely "running away".
And he agreed.

One thing that concerns me in your post, is the absence of Christ in your inquiry.
I hear more about what you want, than what you offer.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
if that is what you think your calling is, I would say go for it.
You can always leave it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I'm not sure if you realize how offensive you are and if you intentionally mock other Christians or if you truly believe what you write. Faith in Christ is not a competition. I seriously think you should do some reflection before posting.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
I'm not sure if you realize how offensive you are and if you intentionally mock other Christians or if you truly believe what you write. Faith in Christ is not a competition. I seriously think you should do some reflection before posting.
I did reflect and I came up with an answer that's spot on. And it's always about a competition. Catholicism, Orthodox, Judaism, Islam, Budhism, Hinduism, atheism, secularism, etc. Not to mention thousands of protestant denominations. You don't think there's competition? You better think again.

What I presented is two clear divisions of how two churches started. What I said is completely accurate. One created by God and one created by a man so he could divorce his wife. Interestingly enough it wasn't long before that King Henry VIII was actually called a defender of the faith by the Catholic Church. Ironic isn't it?

So if you were picking a monestary, which one would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity