Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The chief priests of the jewish religion did not think the prophecy took place in Micah's day. They were very good with their own history, don't you think? It was they who told Herod that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem according to Micah. They obviously knew their history and their writings better than we, 2000 years removed, don't you think?
I don't care what they thought or said, Eusebius (considering the writer of Matthew was NOT there to hear this conversation and was probably pulling this one out of his...head). I want to know what YOU think?

Then again, the air was rife with messianic expectations amongst the Jews at that time. I am sure some of them were scouring ANY and EVERY passage in Jewish scriptures to find some inkling of a prediction about a messiah. The writer of Matthew was probably not alone on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So tell me. Among the thousands of religions invented by man, what suddenly makes Christianity the right one? Every devout member of their respective religion swears that their religion is the right one. Why do you think Christianity is right and all other religions are wrong?
This is more black-and-white than I'd put it. Obviously other religions are not completely wrong because most other religions agree with Christianity on at least some values. The human mind alone can discover some working understanding of natural law and create a mythological framework to inspire people. It's lacking in revelation, and therefore never has the fullness of the Truth, but to just castigate it as "wrong" was probably an immature response.

Still I believe Christianity is "right" in a way other religions are not. Christianity is universalizing and therefore is not subjective to some specific culture. It's thrived among Koreans and Ethiopians, which I chose because neither was conquered by the West except for maybe brief periods. It has survived, in the case of Iran, for around 18 centuries without ever having much in the way of official validation. (Although it's had periods of acceptance as the kind of "official minority faith.") In Egypt Christians were only accepted by the ruling class for maybe four of the last twenty centuries.

It has a long history of inexplicable or miraculous events that occur in varied cultures or places. It has a God that is both greater than the Universe, but also communicated within the Universe and even lived in it. So it's claims are that it's founded by God, source of Truth, rather than mostly by some human interpreter. (Hence it's often important for people rebutting Christianity to claim it's founded by Paul and not Jesus) Unlike the other religions that claim to be founded by a "God-person" its founder has a specific period of life, not some "long ago and far away" legend, while also proving his claim to the satisfaction of even some learned men of the first and second centuries AD. (Nicodemus, also several early Christian converts had been Greek or Roman philosophers)

Whether you believe Christianity is right is up to you. However the idea believing something is right is somehow mean or unfair is rather silly to me. I'm not saying people who believe other things inevitably go to Hell or that they're fools or beneath my concern. If someone believes in an anachronistic theory on physics or geology I'm not there to gloat in their face about how wrong they are as they might be quite smart, just behind in research. So if someone has an imperfect knowledge or imperfect religion than well that happens. It happens to lots of good people too.

This is maybe not a perfect way to explain what I mean and I hope I haven't accidentally said something blasphemous.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-10-2010 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Wrong on all counts.
RESPONSE:

Regarding the fact of the Resurretion, do you have any hard evidence? Or is this just one of the many "Ya just gotta believe" things?

There are lots of stories out there. Most are just stories.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 12-10-2010 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Even one more reason Jesus Christ is the true Messiah having fulfilled the prophecies of the old testament concerning Him. . .

Mat 2:6 'And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah,
Are you in any respect least among the mentors of Judah?
For out of you shall come forth the Ruler
Who shall shepherd My people Israel.'"
(The chief priests to Herod)
RESPONSE:

Why don't you look up the original prophecy. I think you'll find that's not what it says.

It's probable that Jesus was actually born in Nazareth.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 AM

THOMAS R. posted:

>>This is more black-and-white than I'd put it. Obviously other religions are not completely wrong because most other religions agree with Christianity on at least some values. The human mind alone can discover some working understanding of natural law and create a mythological framework to inspire people. It's lacking in revelation, and therefore never has the fullness of the Truth, but to just castigate it as "wrong" was probably an immature response. <<

RESPONSE:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Christianity agrees with many of the older religions?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Why don't you look up the original prophecy. I think you'll find that's not what it says.

It's probable that Jesus was actually born in Nazareth.
I did. Don't you remember? I posted the original prophecy. It is what it says. Here, I'll re-post it:

Mic 5:2-5 And you, Bethlehem Ephratah, inferior to be among the mentors
of Judah, from you shall One fare forth for Me to become the Ruler in
Israel; yet His farings forth are from aforetime, from days eonian." (3)
Wherefore He shall give them up till the season when she who is to bear
shall bear, and the rest of his brethren shall return to the sons of
Israel." (4) And He stands and shepherds His flock in the strength of
Yahweh, in the pomp of the name of Yahweh, His Elohim. And they shall
dwell, for now shall He be great unto the limits of the land." (5) And this
One comes to be Peace. When Assyria is entering into our land, and when
he is treading in our ground, then shall we raise against him seven
shepherds, and eight sovereigns of humanity."

It does not say that the Messiah has to be born when Assyria is entering
their land. Look again in verse 5. That is just added information of what is
to come after the Messiah is born in Bethleham. It doesn't say that
immediately consequent upon the Messiah's birth that Assyria enters the
land. Neither does it state that prior to Messiah's birth must Assyria be in
the land.

He was probably born in Nazareth? Probably's don't cut it.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
I did. Don't you remember? I posted the original prophecy. It is what it says. Here, I'll re-post it:

Mic 5:2-5 And you, Bethlehem Ephratah, inferior to be among the mentors
of Judah, from you shall One fare forth for Me to become the Ruler in
Israel; yet His farings forth are from aforetime, from days eonian." (3)
Wherefore He shall give them up till the season when she who is to bear
shall bear, and the rest of his brethren shall return to the sons of
Israel." (4) And He stands and shepherds His flock in the strength of
Yahweh, in the pomp of the name of Yahweh, His Elohim. And they shall
dwell, for now shall He be great unto the limits of the land." (5) And this
One comes to be Peace. When Assyria is entering into our land, and when
he is treading in our ground, then shall we raise against him seven
shepherds, and eight sovereigns of humanity."

It does not say that the Messiah has to be born when Assyria is entering
their land. Look again in verse 5. That is just added information of what is
to come after the Messiah is born in Bethleham. It doesn't say that
immediately consequent upon the Messiah's birth that Assyria enters the
land. Neither does it state that prior to Messiah's birth must Assyria be in
the land.

He was probably born in Nazareth? Probably's don't cut it.
I guess I'll pick up here then.

Ok, so when are these Assyrians going to enter 'the land' (Judah) post Jesus? Is there a point from 2,000 years to now when the Assyrians invaded Judah or will invade modern Israel that needs to be discussed? I'm VERY curious to hear your belief.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I guess I'll pick up here then.

Ok, so when are these Assyrians going to enter 'the land' (Judah) post Jesus? Is there a point from 2,000 years to now when the Assyrians invaded Judah or will invade modern Israel that needs to be discussed? I'm VERY curious to hear your belief.

I don't know when they will invade. I just know that after Messiah is born in Bethlehem *then* (and that "then" may be thousands of years), Assyria invades.
We are told in Revelation that there will be armies from many nations invading Israel but as to when we are not told.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM

187 posts, read 196,125 times
Its the example in self sacrifice, to intentional and barbaric destruction of perfect innocence.

Something that people can relate with in normally ascribed self-innocence, to harshness in life.

All wisdom shows reaching out of oneself in charity rather than self dwelling to be advantageous. Self absorbed ailment, is remedied in escape, by way of denial to self in charity or self sacrifice

Example, is how people learn well. Focus, is what is required for stability.
Although many Christian Theologians agree that there is some mystery in the Crucifixion,
the belief system shows to be a masterpiece, with focus to wisdom, by example.

Last edited by ClearNight; 12-10-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are you referring to the resurrection of Christ? Research shows that the resurrection of Christ was a story that was twisted and elaborated upon over the decades following the year 80 C.E. This is because it wasn't written in the New Testament until at leat 80 C.E. No one was alive while Jesus was alive to write the story. And The Bible is the one and only book that even writes about the life of Jesus. Christianity didn't even kick off until sometime after 100 C.E.

An empty tomb? A muslim could just as easily that that their religion is the right one because of a prophet who witnessed Allah. Or, the Book of Mormon in the 1800s. The list goes on. It's got to be utter mythology.

Your question is good, nep321. In fact, a doctrine does not make a religion true. Islam could have included an empty tomb story, and then the whole world would be up in arms!!

As long as we are believing in a Christ who is outside of us, we are no different than any other religion.

God is Love. When we Love, we know God, and He knows us. This is Christianity. The Son is Love, Joy, Peace, etc. These things within you is the Kingdom within you, it is true heaven.

Man will be truly happy only when he recognizes and feels God dwelling within him.

You are the temple of God. When you feel Reason, Patience, Love, Meekness, etc ruling within you, then you have found God.

A mere doctrine will not save.

Blessings to you,
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity