Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
By helping you to understand this skeptics annotated Bible trap you have been under. We can show you how that stuff is not contradiction at all. Case by case if you like. At some point when you don't see contradiction maybe you will say "hey this stuff could be true".
RESPONSE:

I have already documented a number of contradictions in the Bible (case by case) taken from the New Revised Standard Version.

Perhaps you've overlooked the earlier posts mostly in response to Eusebius' claims.

But it's always fun to read some apologist trying to prove that the Bible doesn't really mean what it clearly states when a contradiction is apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM

For Eusebius,

Perhaps this will make the difference clear to you.

If Jesus was the messiah and human, he could not, under his own power, bring himself back from the dead. (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts)

But a divine Jesus could. (Maybe John)

Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

I have already documented a number of contradictions in the Bible (case by case) taken from the New Revised Standard Version.

Perhaps you've overlooked the earlier posts mostly in response to Eusebius' claims.

But it's always fun to read some apologist trying to prove that the Bible doesn't really mean what it clearly states when a contradiction is apparent.
I don't know you would have to try me on with something case by case. It's fun to me.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know you would have to try me on with something case by case. It's fun to me.
RESPONSE:

I posted this in response to Eusebius' similarrequest about a week ago.

You can pick the contradiction you like.

Lets see if you do any better than him.

Originally Posted by Eusebius
Please provide exact Book, chapter and verse to back up your untennable statements.

RESPONSE:

Sure. It’s called the New Testament. It’s the second part of the Bible.

Like Mark, Luke, and John having Jesus send for and ride one animal when entering Jerusalem. Or like Matthew having Jesus send for and ride two animals (of unequal size) when entering Jerusalem, to "fulfill" a prophecy?

Matthew 21: 1-8; Mark 11:1-11: , Luke 19:28-40, John 12:12-19
Since these are lengthy, I’ll let you look them up for yourself if you are not familiar with them.

See especially Matthew’s account " You will find an ass tethered, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them here to me.” “They brought the ass and the colt and laid their cloaks over them, and he sat upon them.” Note, also, why Matthew says there were two animals.

Or like Matthew claiming that the Holy Family returned from Egypt, so Jesus fulfilled "I have called my son out of Egypt"? Actually, that would be Moses and the Israelites.

Matt 2:15 "He stayed there until the death of Herod, that what the Lord had said through the prophet might be fulfilled, "Out of Egypt I called my son." (NAB)

Footnote to 15 “The fulfillment citation is taken from Hosea 11:1 Israel, God's son, was called out of Egypt at the time of the Exodus."

Or like Jesus ascending to heaven on Easter evening from Bethany (Luke), or having Jesus ascend from Mt Olivet 40 days after Easter (Acts)?

Luke chapter 24 (all) , NAB footnoteIn the gospel, Luke recounts the ascension of Jesus on Easter Sunday night, thereby closely associating it with the resurrection."

See especially 24:50 "Then he led them (out) as far as Bethany, raised his hands, and blessed them”(NAB)

Acts of the Apostles: 1:3,12 "He presented himself alive to them by many proofs after he had suffered, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. ….Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a sabbath day's journey away” (NAB).

Or after the Resurrection going to Galilee (Matthew) or remaining in Jerusalem (Luke)?

Matthew 28:10 "Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." (NAB)

Luke 24:29 “And (behold) I am sending the promise of my Father upon you; but stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (NAB)

Or Jesus being raised from the dead by God's power (Matthew, Mark, Luke) or by his own poer "rising" from the dead (John)?

Matt 28: 6 "He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said.” (NAB)

Mark 16:6 “He has been raised; he is not here.” (NAB

Luke 24: 6 “He is not here, but he has been raised” (NAB) Acts 2:24 “But God raised him up” (NAB)[

However, see John 20:9 “For they did not yet understand the scripture that he had to rise from the dead.” (NAB)

"Raised from the dead” (like Lazarus) is passive. “To rise” is active, ie., by his own power.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

I posted this in response to Eusebius' similarrequest about a week ago.

You can pick the contradiction you like.

Lets see if you do any better than him.

Originally Posted by Eusebius
Please provide exact Book, chapter and verse to back up your untennable statements.

RESPONSE:

Sure. It’s called the New Testament. It’s the second part of the Bible.

Like Mark, Luke, and John having Jesus send for and ride one animal when entering Jerusalem. Or like Matthew having Jesus send for and ride two animals (of unequal size) when entering Jerusalem, to "fulfill" a prophecy?

Matthew 21: 1-8; Mark 11:1-11: , Luke 19:28-40, John 12:12-19
Since these are lengthy, I’ll let you look them up for yourself if you are not familiar with them.

See especially Matthew’s account " You will find an ass tethered, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them here to me.” “They brought the ass and the colt and laid their cloaks over them, and he sat upon them.” Note, also, why Matthew says there were two animals.

Or like Matthew claiming that the Holy Family returned from Egypt, so Jesus fulfilled "I have called my son out of Egypt"? Actually, that would be Moses and the Israelites.

Matt 2:15 "He stayed there until the death of Herod, that what the Lord had said through the prophet might be fulfilled, "Out of Egypt I called my son." (NAB)

Footnote to 15 “The fulfillment citation is taken from Hosea 11:1 Israel, God's son, was called out of Egypt at the time of the Exodus."

Or like Jesus ascending to heaven on Easter evening from Bethany (Luke), or having Jesus ascend from Mt Olivet 40 days after Easter (Acts)?

Luke chapter 24 (all) , NAB footnoteIn the gospel, Luke recounts the ascension of Jesus on Easter Sunday night, thereby closely associating it with the resurrection."

See especially 24:50 "Then he led them (out) as far as Bethany, raised his hands, and blessed them”(NAB)

Acts of the Apostles: 1:3,12 "He presented himself alive to them by many proofs after he had suffered, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. ….Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a sabbath day's journey away” (NAB).

Or after the Resurrection going to Galilee (Matthew) or remaining in Jerusalem (Luke)?

Matthew 28:10 "Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." (NAB)

Luke 24:29 “And (behold) I am sending the promise of my Father upon you; but stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (NAB)

Or Jesus being raised from the dead by God's power (Matthew, Mark, Luke) or by his own poer "rising" from the dead (John)?

Mark 16:6 “He has been raised; he is not here.” (NAB

Luke 24: 6 “He is not here, but he has been raised” (NAB) Acts 2:24 “But God raised him up” (NAB)[

However, see John 20:9 “For they did not yet understand the scripture that he had to rise from the dead.” (NAB)

"Raised from the dead” (like Lazarus) is passive. “To rise” is active, ie., by his own power.
Your conversation with him was not the conversation you had with me. If you want to do this (I hope you do) then present A contradiction (not a slew of them) and I will investigate it and try to provide an answer or say I just don't know.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Your conversation with him was not the conversation you had with me. If you want to do this (I hope you do) then present A contradiction (not a slew of them) and I will investigate it and try to provide an answer or say I just don't know.
RESPONSE:

Ok. You can start with this one. (Eusebius doesn't seem to understand the difference between the active and passive in these. Evidently for Eusebius the statements "I hit him" and "He hit me" meanthe same thing. I hope you recognize the difference between "was raised" and "rise").

Was Jesus raised from the dead by God's power (Matthew, Mark, Luke) or by his own power thus "rising" from the dead (John)?

Mark 16:6 “He has been raised; he is not here.” (NAB)

Luke 24: 6 “He is not here, but he has been raised” (NAB) Acts 2:24 “But God raised him up” (NAB)

Acts 2:24 "...But God raised him up, having freed him from death."

"Raised from the dead” (like Lazarus) is passive. “To rise” is active, ie., by his own power. In essence, it is the difference in being the messiah (but human) and being divine.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 12-31-2010 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity