Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I competely agree with your post, trettep. But I wanted to add that the fear of God does not mean fear as in scared. It means respect, as in respecting a parent who loves you. We need to learn to respect and honor authority. We know what happens to kids who don't respect ANY authority. We must fear, or respect the awesome power behind the universe, but we shouldn't be shaking in our boots.

This is from tentmaker: Bible Matters--Fear and Trembling?

For when Paul wrote to the Corinthians and reported that Titus had been encouraged and refreshed by their reception of him, he then went on to say that the Corinthian Christians received him with 'fear and trembling'! (2 Cor. 7:15) Now this makes nonsense, unless it is a purely conventional verbal form implying proper respect. For, little as we know of Titus, we cannot imagine any real Christian minister being encouraged and refreshed by a display of nervous anxiety
Yes herefornow, thanks for adding that. It is more like "reverence".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What a sad way to go through life, living in fear of a god.

At least I understand that find comfort in belief in a god that cares for them, but to spend a lifetime trembling in irrational fear........ how self deprecating
The word "Fear" there means reverence.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I have never feared God and never will.
Hmm,
Jesus did.
Isn't He the example?

Isa 11:2
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and strength,
The Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Hmm,
Jesus did.
Isn't He the example?

Isa 11:2
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and strength,
The Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Jesus did not fear God.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
can someone please support the whole fear doesn't mean fear it means awe/reverence ? certainly there is some translation etc. to bring up.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
Perhaps even though I know there is no god, I have compassion for fellow humans that are so blindly fooling themselves over a fable. Have you ever known anyone that has suffered a mental illness, and see their irrational actions, beliefs, even memories and wished you could help them?

I am currently witnessing that in a friend that has been diagnosed as bi-polar, believing her husband is hiring clowns to look in her windows at night to scare her and another of other delusions. There is no reasoning with her, she has been comitted voluntary and involuntary and it continues.

There ain't a damn thing I can do to help her, but that doesn't mean I don't want to help.

I also spent well over 30 years putting my life on the line helping others as a volunteer firefighter, and me a god denying heathen. It's what I do as a person, irrelevant imaginary characters play no part in any of it.

Moderator cut: deleted/orphaned

Last edited by june 7th; 01-06-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
can someone please support the whole fear doesn't mean fear it means awe/reverence ? certainly there is some translation etc. to bring up.
No offense intended with what I am going to say, what you wrote is a good opportunity to illustrate something.

When someone says something like you have (and we can all do this at times) "fear doesn't mean fear" they are only coming from a personal perspective of how they use the word either all of the time or most of the time.

In this issue you have to consider what the word can mean.

Quote:
fear

–noun 1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights.

3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.

4. reverential awe, esp. toward god.

5. that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid: Cancer is a common fear.

The reason the word fear is associated with awe is because as human we can experience a feeling that is similar to being afraid when we witness something so awesome that it overwhelms our cognitive senses.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No offense intended with what I am going to say, what you wrote is a good opportunity to illustrate something.

When someone says something like you have (and we can all do this at times) "fear doesn't mean fear" they are only coming from a personal perspective of how they use the word either all of the time or most of the time.

In this issue you have to consider what the word can mean.

The reason the word fear is associated with awe is because as human we can experience a feeling that is similar to being afraid when we witness something so awesome that it overwhelms our cognitive senses.
No offense taken, of course. Isn't your argument circular when the definition you use from the dictionary specifically mentions god?

I certainly understand what it means to be in awe. But it seems awfully convenient to substitute an emotion you aren't comfortable with for one you are.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
In scripture we have these two different meanings translated as fear:

H3374
יראה
yir'âh
yir-aw'
Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

H4172
מורה מרא מורא
môrâ' môrâ' môrâh
mo-raw', mo-raw', mo-raw'
From H3372; fear; by implication a fearful thing or deed: - dread, (that ought to be) fear (-ed), terribleness, terror.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 AM

trettep - thanks; and should i assume that yir'ah not mora is what is used in the passages mentioned in this thread? but don't both definitions still have elements of being actually dreadfully afraid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity