Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,025,385 times

Advertisements

I appreciate those who labor in studying Greek to dig the nuggets of truth out of the scriptures and I am truly thankful for those who not only take the time to do this, but also bring it to the table and offer it freely and cheerfully to the body of Christ. God loves a cheerful giver, according to the NT. I'm reminded of how Jesus asked Peter three times, "Do you love me?" and then kept telling him, "If you love me, Peter, feed my sheep".

Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have never read once someone like yourself who believes it's fair of God to torture folk, say anything that would suggest you have explained "torment likely means a corrective nature".
Maybe because it is not true

Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Finn from my recollection what Thrill shared is pretty new, so i do not understand why you said this .

Quote:
How many times does everything have to be repeated to you? This has been explained to you many times, yet you always come back to offer the same argument as if you never heard it before.
If Thrill's post is not true would you care to share why ?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,949,336 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, Finn, I have never heard an ET'er present his scholastics on the Greek word, basanizo. If anything I've written is inaccurate please let us know.

Five definitions, according to Strong's.

Quote:
1. to test (metals) by the touchstone, which is a black siliceous stone used to test the purity of gold or silver by the colour of the streak produced on it by rubbing it with either metal
2. to question by applying torture
3. to torture
4. to vex with grievous pains (of body or mind), to torment
5. to be harassed, distressed
a) of those who at sea are struggling with a head wind
Generally, when a word has multiple meanings the first definition is usually the strongest. That by itself would not prove much, but when basanizo is combined with kolasis in pertinent ET scriptures and like definitions (to test, to refine, to correct) emerge I think it's pretty apparent what the different authors are trying to say. If you feel differently, please tell us why, without using such vague commentaries as "sigh" and "I've explained this before."

watch the dodge

Last edited by june 7th; 01-14-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Honestly, Finn, I have never heard an ET'er present his scholastics on the Greek word, basanizo. If anything I've written is inaccurate please let us know.

Five definitions, according to Strong's.

Generally, when a word has multiple meanings the first definition is usually the strongest. That by itself would not prove much, but when basanizo is combined with kolasis in pertinent ET scriptures and like definitions (to test, to refine, to correct) emerge I think it's pretty apparent what the different authors are trying to say. If you feel differently, please tell us why, without using such vague commentaries as "sigh" and "I've explained this before."

watch the dodge
No, not 'honestly' because you have heard it before. Go back to the two threads you started claiming there is only obe verse in the Bible talking about people being punished in hell. I explained this same thing same thing to you on both threads.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
No, not 'honestly' because you have heard it before. Go back to the two threads you started claiming there is only obe verse in the Bible talking about people being punished in hell. I explained this same thing same thing to you on both threads.
You explained and proved that "torment of a corrective nature" is not true ?, i have never seen those posts.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
But who can endure the day of His coming?
And who can stand when He appears?

"For He is like a refiner's fire and launderers' soap."

And He will sit as the refiner and purifier of ________
You guest it!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But who can endure the day of His coming?
And who can stand when He appears?

"For He is like a refiner's fire and launderers' soap."

And He will sit as the refiner and purifier of ________
You guest it!
Soap?

Just kidding.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
But I don't recall ever mentioning the word, basanizo so how could you have referred to basanizo when it was never even brought up? You never once referenced anything having to do with the relationship between kolasis and basanizo in the other posts. This is astonishing. Seven replies and not one addresses the question I raised in the OP.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM

hmmm! Finn has succeeded where others have failed. He's managed to turn my thread into a Johnnie Carson comedy sketch. Oh well. No use crying over spilt wine!

Onto the next topic!!!!

Last edited by thrillobyte; 01-14-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity