Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,028,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
In fact-- he says that evangelicals DO indeed love Jesus--- because they have a house in heaven! No other reason.
His point being, that it is a selfish love, nothing more. They are "in," they are "blessed," they are "accepted." To them, that's all that matters.

THAT is what he was saying. Did you read it all, or only part?

Peace,
brian
Yep.

That pretty much sums up the typical western evangelical.

"I'm going to heaven when I die and everyone else who does not believe everything just the way I do is not... nah, nah, nah, nah, nah...." It is such a tired message. And indeed, a selfish, self-centered faith. It reminds me of Nellie Olson on 'Little House on the Prairie' who was a rich spoiled brat who loved to show off her things but did not want to share them.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,028,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
They also forgot they would never had made it if it were not for the Good Shepherd who found them,that he was simply just their Savior, and their first love simply Him being their Savior,and now their first love is doctrine,tradition and the bible,and now they put stumbling blocks of "unless" or "you must" in the mix before all the Lord is calling,which none of that was there when He found them lost in shame.
And I think in many cases, there are a good number of professing Christians who have never been truly stripped naked in God's presence before. The experience will forever change a person. But you have to bring all the garbage into the light and acknowledge it - not something people are inclined to do until they have reached the rock bottom. Once one truly goes to and through the cross, there will be no boasting left. We are told not to eat the body and drink the blood of the Lord unworthily. May we learn what that truly means.

There is a place of desolation for the soul wherein Christ is the only friend. That is the first love we ought not forget or replace with empty phrases of dogma.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,292,446 times
Thread temporarily closed pending further moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity