Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The last day of the week which is Saturday is the Sabbath.
That is correct perry...it is called the Seventh Day Sabbath..and it is to be kept holy unto God. No work is to be done on this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Aren't you (general you, whoever wants to answer who is a sabbath keeper) ending up using a lot of services that require others to work on the sabbath? Aren't you contributing to someone having to work on the sabbath? Trust me, I'm not trying to be funny. Not at all. I just don't quite understand and have always wondered that.

If you're using electricity, water, etc... (go out to eat, have food delivered, etc.)

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Aren't you (general you, whoever wants to answer who is a sabbath keeper) ending up using a lot of services that require others to work on the sabbath? Aren't you contributing to someone having to work on the sabbath? Trust me, I'm not trying to be funny. Not at all. I just don't quite understand and have always wondered that.

If you're using electricity, water, etc... (go out to eat, have food delivered, etc.)

Luke 6:7,9 And the scribes and Pharisees watched him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against him.

Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?

Peace!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
My Lord Jesus said: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath".

Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And isn't loving your neighbor the fulfillment of them all ?
No. Since that is not the GREATEST Command.

The greatest is to love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, mind, body and soul.

Is it love to look at your Father and spit on His rules? Why? Are they just too hard to comprehend or keep?

Quote:
Repentance is turning to God for the ability to do that which i cannot do myself , and it's his goodness that leads us into this way of thinking.Romans 2:4
Repentance is turning away from sin. Define sin? Transgressing the LAW. What LAW? His LAW!! What IS His Law? It is under the Mercy Seat, which is His Throne Seat! It is the Commands written in stone, by HIS HAND.

Quote:
Esau(who represents the carnal mind) sought repentance earnestly with tears and couldn't find it, and yet we talk about repentance as if we can.
Esau SOLD his birthright for a bowl of goop. And then wanted it back.

If your birthright is the Kingdom which our Father has prepared for us, and you trade YOUR birthright for some 'comforts(including sin)' of THIS world because of whatever reason,,,,should you also not seek repentence?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Mute point. Sunday= Sun Day is NOT the Sabbath, unless you belong to a false religion. YHWH's day is the Seventh Day for rest, and we are to keep it.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
No. Since that is not the GREATEST Command.

The greatest is to love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, mind, body and soul.

Is it love to look at your Father and spit on His rules? Why? Are they just too hard to comprehend or keep?

Repentance is turning away from sin. Define sin? Transgressing the LAW. What LAW? His LAW!! What IS His Law? It is under the Mercy Seat, which is His Throne Seat! It is the Commands written in stone, by HIS HAND.

Esau SOLD his birthright for a bowl of goop. And then wanted it back.

If your birthright is the Kingdom which our Father has prepared for us, and you trade YOUR birthright for some 'comforts(including sin)' of THIS world because of whatever reason,,,,should you also not seek repentence?
...that's my new brother in Christ Jesus (Hot) speaking!......I am rejoicing!...there's NOTHING! better than having one more coming into the knowledge of the truth in Christ Jesus!...His Kingdom just increased by one very precious soul! God Bless you Hot!...my brother!

Last edited by june 7th; 03-17-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,313 times
The Sabbath was the last day of the week, when God rested after the six days of creation (Ex. 20:10,11). As Sunday is the first day of the week, it would be incorrect to observe this day as the Sabbath. The Sabbath was specifically "a sign between me (God) and them (Israel), that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them" (Ez. 20:12). As such, it has never been intended to be binding on Gentiles (non-Jews). "The Lord hath given you [not all mankind] the Sabbath (Ex. 16:29); "thou [God] madest known unto them [Israel] thy holy Sabbath" (Neh. 9:14).

Jesus once commented on a theological problem: a baby boy had to be circumcised on the eighth day of his life. If this day fell on a Sabbath, then work would have to be done. So which law should be kept, circumcision, or the Sabbath? Jesus replied that circumcision had to be honoured, because this came from Abraham, whereas the Sabbath law was later, from Moses: "Moses gave you circumcision [not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers - i.e. Abraham]…". If the law of circumcision took precedence over that of the Sabbath, how can it be argued by some that the Sabbath law is binding but that of circumcision isn’t? And how can it be argued that a Sabbath law was in force from Eden onwards? Circumcision was the token of the covenant with Abraham, whereas the Sabbath was the token of the law of Moses (Ex. 31:17), and Jesus judged that the covenant with Abraham was more important. Paul uses the same kind of argument, when he reasons that the new covenant given to Abraham [which included no command about the Sabbath] is something which cannot be added to or disannulled. He asks, therefore, why it was that "the law…was added" (Gal. 3:15,19)? He replies that the law was added, by implication temporarily, seeing that the new covenant cannot really be added to, in order to teach men about sin and lead them to an understanding of Christ, the promised seed of Abraham. Now that Christ has come, we are not under the law.

Through Christ’s death on the cross, the Law of Moses was done away, so that there is now no necessity to observe the Sabbath or, indeed, any festival, e.g. the day of Christ’s death (Col. 2:14-17). The early Christians who returned to keeping parts of the Mosaic law, e.g. the Sabbath, are described by Paul as returning "to the weak and miserable principles (N.I.V.), whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage. Ye observe days (e.g. the Sabbath), and months, and times, and years (i.e. the Jewish festivals). I am afraid of (for) you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain" (Gal. 4:9-11). This is the seriousness of attempting to keep the Sabbath as a means to salvation. It is clear that observing the Sabbath is irrelevant to salvation: "One man esteemeth one day above another (i.e. in spiritual significance): another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that observeth (A.V. mg.) the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that observeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it" (Rom. 14:5,6).

Because of this, it is understandable that we do not read of the early believers keeping the Sabbath. Indeed, it is recorded that they met on "the first day of the week", i.e. Sunday: "Upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread..." (Acts 20:7). That this was a widespread practice is indicated by Paul advising the believers at Corinth to take up a collection "upon the first day of the week" (1 Cor. 16:2), i.e. at their regular meetings on that day.

There is ample historical evidence that the early church didn’t keep Saturday. If some say ‘We keep the Sabbath but it’s now Sunday’ then they admit God’s law was changed- therefore their arguments about the unchangeable nature of God’s commands are nullified.

The Sabbath Debate

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Most orthodox Jews dont use electricity on sabbath, cause its kindling a fire. If an electric light is already on, they wont turn it off on sabbath. Conservative Jews follow rabbis who say that the spark of electricity is not what is meant by fire in Jewish law, and the WILL turn on electricity on a sabbath. Some Orthodox Jews will set a timer before sabbath, and let it turn lights on. Others will use a shabbos lamp - its a lamp you turn on before shabbas, but it has a rotating wooden shade, so you can darken your house.

As far as utility workers - well for one its too hard to tell who will have to do an extra shift cause of your usage - second they are mostly gentiles, who are not obligated by the laws of shabbos. An observant jew who works at a utility should take it on himself to make sure he takes the day off.

If you are truely interested in the practical intricacies of shabbos observance, I suggest you investigate Jewish discussions, as the focus on that much more than Christians do.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My Lord Jesus said: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath".

echad ha am said "More than Israel has kept the sabbath, the sabbath has kept Israel"

Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsed View Post
I ask because i work wen-saturday and if saturday is the sabbath am i destined for eternal damnation if i dont quit my job?

No. You will, however "be cut off from the people Israel"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity