Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM

50 posts, read 102,622 times

Advertisements

The Sabbath is obviously Sunday... look at airline schedules, M-F is days 1-5, Saturday is 6 and Sunday is 7!

Jews are off by a day, taking off Saturday instead of Sunday like God and the airlines commanded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Most orthodox Jews dont use electricity on sabbath, cause its kindling a fire. If an electric light is already on, they wont turn it off on sabbath. Conservative Jews follow rabbis who say that the spark of electricity is not what is meant by fire in Jewish law, and the WILL turn on electricity on a sabbath. Some Orthodox Jews will set a timer before sabbath, and let it turn lights on. Others will use a shabbos lamp - its a lamp you turn on before shabbas, but it has a rotating wooden shade, so you can darken your house.

As far as utility workers - well for one its too hard to tell who will have to do an extra shift cause of your usage - second they are mostly gentiles, who are not obligated by the laws of shabbos. An observant jew who works at a utility should take it on himself to make sure he takes the day off.

If you are truely interested in the practical intricacies of shabbos observance, I suggest you investigate Jewish discussions, as the focus on that much more than Christians do.
Thanks for the feedback from a Jewish perspective.

Anyone else from a Christian perspective care to comment?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
If some say ‘We keep the Sabbath but it’s now Sunday’ then they admit God’s law was changed- therefore their arguments about the unchangeable nature of God’s commands are nullified.
There is a difference between God's nature being the same yesterday, today and forever and God revising his commandments from time to time. That should be clear through a simple reading of the Old and New Testaments.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah... wow. Not everybody in the world agrees with you, HotinAZ. I know that's hard for you to get your head around, but it's a fact you might as well come to grips with.

I believe it's important for all of us to do our best to keep all of God's commandments as we understand them. None of us are perfect, though, and all of us fall short in one area or another. If God will condemn a person to an eternity in Hell for working on the Sabbath, He will condemn another person to Hell for having coveted his neighbor's new car or for having spread gossip or for having been disrespectful to his parents. God is not so petty that He's looking for reasons to condemn us. He allows us to repent and to improve every day of our lives. And furthermore, He has reminded us to leave the judging up to Him.

Eclipsed didn't say why He has to work on the Sabbath. He clearly would prefer that he didn't need to. There are some jobs that require people to work on the Sabbath. If my husband were to have a heart attack on Sunday, I'd like to think that I could call an ambulance to get him to the hospital and that there'd be medical personnel on duty to take care of him. I'd hate to think he might die because nobody wanted to work on the Sabbath. If someone breaks into my home on the Sabbath, I want to be able to call the police and not have to wait till the Sabbath's over to get help. If I'm out of town on the Sabbath, I would feel a whole lot safer staying in a hotel than out on the streets, because no one was willing to work. I haven't had to work on the Sabbath for over 40 years, but I did have to at one time in my life. If I were a single mother with a couple of kids and the only job I could find required me to work on the Sabbath, I would do so. And I trust that God would find it in His perfect heart to forgive me.
Excellent post Katzpur! Excellent! I tried to rep you but I can't.
I observe the Sabbath Day on Sunday as I'm LDS. But OP, this is not something that you will be condemned of. Do your best and the Lord will see what is in your heart to please him.
Everyone of us is imperfect and HE knows it. HE still loves us though. And isn't that a comfort?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
A lot of people see from one perspective - earthly while those in Christ see Spiritually. So when you here speak of Israel - there is the earthly perspective meaning those all physically circumcised of the biological lineage of Jacob (Israel). But from the Spiritual perspective all that are circumcised of the heart are of the Spiritual lineage of Israel (Jesus Christ).

So everyone that is of Israel (Jesus Christ) shall be saved.

When Jesus was on the cross saying "My God, My God, why have you foresaken me". It wasn't God forsaken His Son (our Lord Jesus Christ) but Jesus was speaking as THEIR Spiritual Sin offering to the Lord and speaking on BEHALF of them who were now forsaken. So while they were crucifying Christ, He was pleading to God on their behalf (unknowingly to them responsible for crucifying Him at the time).

Seems like an evil thing to many (because that is our perspective) but Evil is really a beautiful thing accomplishing something wonderful. It is no wonder that God was pleased to bruise Him (God obviously knew the wonderful salvation He was accomplishing at those moments)

Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Amen.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjsr0KZVDI

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
The Sabbath was the last day of the week, when God rested after the six days of creation (Ex. 20:10,11).
AS it is nice that you quoted a verse out of Exodus, you failed to notice that in Genesis 2:3 God tells us He has blessed this day as a Holy Day unto Him. IOW, it was to be a reminder for ALL time that this is our Creator, and we are to Honor Him.

In Exodus 16:23, BEFORE the Law was written in stone, Moses said this:

then he said to them, "This is what the LORD meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

Why was this said prior to the 'official' law being given? Because God had commanded that twice as much manna be gathered on the sixth day, because His Holy Sabbath was on the seventh and they were to do no work.

Quote:
As Sunday is the first day of the week, it would be incorrect to observe this day as the Sabbath. The Sabbath was specifically "a sign between me (God) and them (Israel), that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them" (Ez. 20:12).
It was a sign between God's Chosen People, who are those called Israel. Not Jews, from the tribe of Judah. They are included, but not inclusive. It was and always has been between God and HIS PEOPLE. Jesus kept the Sabbath. The Apostles kept the Sabbath. Paul kept the Sabbath. In fact, they all did, until Constantine's time changed God's law. This was foretold by the prophet Daniel.

'He will speak out against the Most High and wear down the saints of the Highest One, and he will intend to make alterations in times and in law; and they will be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time.'

Hmm, what times, and WHAT LAW??? How can time and law be altered? Any guesses?

Quote:
As such, it has never been intended to be binding on Gentiles (non-Jews).
When does Gentile mean non Israelite? In fact in Strong's we read the definition of Gentile to mean those:

1) nation, people
a) nation, people
1) usually of non-Hebrew people (This doesn't make sense, since Abraham was a Hebrew)
2) of descendants of Abraham ?????
3) of Israel ????????
b) of swarm of locusts, other animals (fig.)

Quote:
"The Lord hath given you [not all mankind] the Sabbath (Ex. 16:29); "thou [God] madest known unto them [Israel] thy holy Sabbath" (Neh. 9:14).
It sounds to me like this is picking and choosing. Can we murder? Is it a sin? Why? Did someone say it was a sin? Where? How about coveting? How about stealing?

It seems strange that the Sabbath rest on the seventh day is the only Commandment that God places in there with a Authority Sign, so that it is between Him and HIS PEOPLE. His Name(YHWH), His Title(GOD), and His office(CREATOR). It is like every other seal, including the presidential seal.

Quote:
Jesus once commented on a theological problem: a baby boy had to be circumcised on the eighth day of his life. If this day fell on a Sabbath, then work would have to be done. So which law should be kept, circumcision, or the Sabbath? Jesus replied that circumcision had to be honoured, because this came from Abraham, whereas the Sabbath law was later, from Moses: "Moses gave you circumcision [not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers - i.e. Abraham]…". If the law of circumcision took precedence over that of the Sabbath, how can it be argued by some that the Sabbath law is binding but that of circumcision isn’t? And how can it be argued that a Sabbath law was in force from Eden onwards? Circumcision was the token of the covenant with Abraham, whereas the Sabbath was the token of the law of Moses (Ex. 31:17), and Jesus judged that the covenant with Abraham was more important.
Actually, this is a lie. I would like to point out the law of circumcision on the 8th day was from Moses. Jesus confirmed this:

For this reason Moses has given you circumcision (not because it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and on the Sabbath you circumcise a man.
"If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath so that the Law of Moses will not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made an entire man well on the Sabbath?

Where does it say the Sabbath was a token of the law of Moses? In fact, it is a BINDING Law upon ALL those who are OF ISRAEL!! FOREVER!!

In the verse above, we see the Sabbath being broken to KEEP the circumcision statutes given to Moses. Had they circumcised on the Sabbath out of of pure and benevolent love for the Father, do you think He would have minded? What a love that would be!! And also, the 8th day circumcision is the best day out of the entire life of a human TO circumcise as the wound heals the fastest. Proven fact, so we can readily see God knew WHY the 8th day was so important.

Quote:
Paul uses the same kind of argument, when he reasons that the new covenant given to Abraham [which included no command about the Sabbath] is something which cannot be added to or disannulled.
Abraham obeyed the Sabbath, as did Adam and his descendants. This is evidenced from Genesis 2:3.

Quote:
He asks, therefore, why it was that "the law…was added" (Gal. 3:15,19)? He replies that the law was added, by implication temporarily, seeing that the new covenant cannot really be added to, in order to teach men about sin and lead them to an understanding of Christ, the promised seed of Abraham. Now that Christ has come, we are not under the law.
So then, what is a trespass? I am curious to what your response would be as Paul gives this in Galatians 6:1-5. And in verse 16 we see he is talking to ISRAEL OF GOD! Were the Galatians ISRAEL OF GOD? Of course, those who believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ. So going back to Ex 31:17, WHO is God referring to??

"It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed."

Does it sound like it has ended?

Quote:
Through Christ’s death on the cross, the Law of Moses was done away, so that there is now no necessity to observe the Sabbath or, indeed, any festival, e.g. the day of Christ’s death (Col. 2:14-17).
Really? So why did they observe the Sabbath rest then? Was Paul really referring to the seventh Holy Day, or was Paul referring to the New Moon Sabbath and those like it?

Quote:
The early Christians who returned to keeping parts of the Mosaic law, e.g. the Sabbath, are described by Paul as returning "to the weak and miserable principles (N.I.V.), whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage. Ye observe days (e.g. the Sabbath), and months, and times, and years (i.e. the Jewish festivals). I am afraid of (for) you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain" (Gal. 4:9-11).
This is not referring to God's Holy Day of rest, the Sabbath. It is referring to the astrological observances.

Quote:
This is the seriousness of attempting to keep the Sabbath as a means to salvation.
NO person can keep the Sabbath as a means of salvation. Why would you lie like this? If you LOVE the Father, you keep His Commands. Period. There is a reason Moses' Laws were kept outside the Ark. There is also a reason why the Stone Tablets were kept INSIDE the Ark. Can you guess what this was? If God resided on the Ark's Mercy Seat, and the tablets were IN the Ark, would it not reckon that this Law, the 10 commandments, are forever binding on those who call upon God?

Quote:
It is clear that observing the Sabbath is irrelevant to salvation: "One man esteemeth one day above another (i.e. in spiritual significance): another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that observeth (A.V. mg.) the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that observeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it" (Rom. 14:5,6).
It is clear you do not know what you are talking about. Paul was a Hebrew, so he kept the Sabbath. Paul was an Israelite, so He kept the Sabbath. Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin, so he kept the Sabbath. Paul was a Pharisee, so he kept the Sabbath. What the heck makes you think that Paul, the Hebrew, Israelite, Benjamite, Pharisee, did away with the same Law that Jesus Himself observed, Himself being a Hebrew, Israelite, from the tribe of Judah, Himself a High Priest, and a teacher of the Law, and ALSO IT'S AUTHOR! Really?

Quote:
Because of this, it is understandable that we do not read of the early believers keeping the Sabbath. Indeed, it is recorded that they met on "the first day of the week", i.e. Sunday: "Upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread..." (Acts 20:7).
Having dinner is not observing the Sabbath. It is a lame excuse for thinking so.

Quote:
That this was a widespread practice is indicated by Paul advising the believers at Corinth to take up a collection "upon the first day of the week" (1 Cor. 16:2), i.e. at their regular meetings on that day.
To take up a collection implies work, which is forbidden by the Holy Sabbath. So of course they would do it on a different day, and the first day being a prime day because they were all together anyways.

Quote:
There is ample historical evidence that the early church didn’t keep Saturday. If some say ‘We keep the Sabbath but it’s now Sunday’ then they admit God’s law was changed- therefore their arguments about the unchangeable nature of God’s commands are nullified.

The Sabbath Debate
The early church since Constantine, I agree. Like I stated earlier, the times and laws were CHANGED, and not by God.

Acts 13:14
But going on from Perga, they arrived at Pisidian Antioch, and on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 13:42
As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44
The next Sabbath nearly the whole city assembled to hear the word of the Lord.

Acts 15:21
"For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath."

Acts 16:13
And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to a riverside, where we were supposing that there would be a place of prayer; and we sat down and began speaking to the women who had assembled.

Acts 18:4
And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Hebrews 4:9
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Any questions? And THIS was the EARLY CHURCH!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
HotinAZ your whole leaning towards a sabbath day to be observed is purely one that is outwardly observed,the outward observation is just a shadow of the true rest in Christ. If we are not in the rest of Christ, observing a day is futile. I have no problem a day being observed if that is what you want to do , because physical rest is good too, but the moment we make a doctrine out of it we are in the same bondage the Scribe and Pharisee was in too.

Why did Paul always end up in a synagogue on the sabbath ?, because that is where the jews were that he wanted to reach on the sabbath day.Paul was not going to restricted to reaching them 6 days a week, he was that passionate about them knowing the Lord he wished himself accursed, no kind of day observed was ever going to stop him getting to them.

Please do not go down this road you are going down in regards to the sabbath. The sabbath is inside you,everything of God is inside of us.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
HotinAZ your whole leaning towards a sabbath day to be observed is purely one that is outwardly observed,the outward observation is just a shadow of the true rest in Christ.
Actually, that is where you are wrong. I am not talking about joining a group or anything. I am not talking about wearing long robes thinking I am holier than thou because I observe His day of rest. I am talking about a very, VERY esteemed day that God the Father has MADE Holy.

It is an inward one on One worship in spirit and truth. By doing this, if the outward expression reflects this, then so be it.

Quote:
If we are not in the rest of Christ, observing a day is futile.
If we are not in the rest of Christ, this WHOLE life is futile. This does not change His Laws though.

Quote:
I have no problem a day being observed if that is what you want to do , because physical rest is good too, but the moment we make a doctrine out of it we are in the same bondage the Scribe and Pharisee was in too.
A Law is NOT a doctrine. See, that is where things get all jumbled up in our minds. A Law is that which must be obeyed, even if we do not know the reason why. Even if we can't see the Spiritual side of the Law as of yet. How can this be a doctrine? A doctrine is formed when people take the Law and use it for advantage, either by power or gain. The worst kind of person who deserves the 'millstone around the neck'.

Quote:

Why did Paul always end up in a synagogue on the sabbath ?, because that is where the jews were that he wanted to reach on the sabbath day.Paul was not going to restricted to reaching them 6 days a week, he was that passionate about them knowing the Lord he wished himself accursed, no kind of day observed was ever going to stop him getting to them.
Or, could it be they all observed the Sabbath rest? Even the Hellenistic Gentile 'lost Hebrews' did, which is why they were found there in

Acts 18:4
And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Why would a Greek observe the Sabbath? Hmm...

Quote:
Please do not go down this road you are going down in regards to the sabbath. The sabbath is inside you,everything of God is inside of us.
Again, you are misreading me in this.

How do you KNOW not to commit murder?
How do you KNOW not to steal?

Because it is in the heart, God's Laws. Written forever! Why would some Laws, or even 9 Laws be written on the heart, yet not His Day? Does this even make any sense?

How can Christians NOT SEE THIS? I mean really? We take man's words over God Word, and His Law?

What because men say the Law has been done away with, has it?

Does God now change? Or is He the Same now and forever?

That is why I asked about Israelites. No, they are not Jews inclusive. They are ANYONE who calls upon the Name of the Lord. Not just for Salvation, but for EVERYTHING, including being King over them. Everything. Nothing left out for us, and nothing kept secret. Remember the two who died thinking they could hold out money, even though it was theirs to begin with?

But they committed it to Him. So, having made this committment, what was the outcome when they tired to be deceitful? They died. That is the lesson.

So, either we commit, wholeheartedly, to ALL of His Word, as His Children, called out by Him, as Hebrew Israelites who have found our Way Spritually, or we don't and pretend we do. I choose to no longer pretend.
It makes me sick to see His Name blasphemed in religion. Why would I want to give a showing for that? He is my life. ALL of it.

So, the least I can do is follow. Obey. Love. Give. With ALL of my heart, mind, body, and soul.

With blessings and peace brother,

Tony

Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Hot ...Love is the fulfillment of the law(Romans 13:10).You break any commandment you break them all, it's a pretty tough place to be in.There is only 2 possible outcomes of you breaking the law,and you will, you condemn yourself or excuse yourself like the sabbath keepers do through the doctrine of wilful and ignorant sin.

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

The other thing about being a law keeper is you end up being self righteous and have little or no mercy to those who break that which you attempt and fail miserably to keep yourself.

This is why James threw this in "because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!", because this is what attempting to keep the law does to us, we become self righteous, judgemental, without mercy.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
Default What Day is the Sabbath???

Psalm 90:4,10,12 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

If we were to translate this passage literally...this ramification would arise, "which day should we follow..." man's or God's?

10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they they be fourscore, yet is is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity