Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times

Advertisements

I have a serious issue with "tithing" which I believe is just an excuse to make sure that "some" churches make a lot of money.

First of all, I believe in Jesus,
but as far as I know Jesus didn't tell us to tithe, he told us to "give graciously" which completely make sense.
It's not the same for a person who's house and cars are paid for and kids are adults to give 10% than a family with 3 little kids living in an apartment paycheck to paycheck.

What are your thoughts about tithing?

Last edited by Dopo; 05-28-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:58 AM

313 posts, read 451,097 times
Religions do this differently. Some "require" a certain percentage from the congregation while others do not. But the clergy in some denominations live solely on tithes, which doesn't add up to much in smaller churches. They have bills of their own to pay like the rest of us.

Clergy in other denominations hold jobs outside the church.

Personally, I don't think a household or individual should be forced into committing a fixed amount. But I do think the members should pay a fair share that they can afford.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Believer in Churches should be encouraged to pay the tithes, but they should never be manipulated or condemned into paying the tithes..... See giving is a fruit of the spirit called charity for the propose of releasing selfishness from the heart of selfish worldly man and cleansing the spirit ....Jesus promised, when you give charity Jesus would give His Charity, and the gifts He gives .... There are a lot of preachers who say If you heal some ones body then Jesus will heal your body, what you sow is what you reap, but I don`t think Jesus is limited to give you the gifts that you may give , because Jesus is more diverse in His character as people would like to give him....... If you gave a widows mite coin who gave the greatest offering of all without any tithes Jesus said , or give from your abundance the best for your belief for Jesus ,....or give the gross 10% for some , or give the net for others or give a fifth of your pay don`t matter Christians are not under the Law of Condemnation of sin ..... But Jesus will see what you are doing and will bless you in your faith and trust in Him ....

Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 AM

28,109 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I have a serious issue with "tithing" which I believe is just an excuse to make sure that "some" churches make a lot of money.

but as far as I know Jesus didn't tell us to tithe, he told us to "give graciously" which completely make sense.
It's not the same for a person who's house and cars are paid for and kids are adults to give 10% than a family with 3 little kids living in an apartment paycheck to paycheck.

My thought about tithing is that if you have a serious issue with it, don't do it. How hard is that? Jesus actually did tell us to continue to tithe, but not to ignore the more important things (Matthew 23:23). Personally, I tithe. I give 10% of my gross (before tax) earnings to my church. The money is used to construct churches and temples and to keep them in good operating condition, to print scriptures and hymnals, etc. Nobody's getting rich of my contribution, but since I believe God has given me everything I have, I would feel pretty stingy if I did not return 1/10th of it to the Church so that His work could go forth. If you resent being asked to contribute that much, the solution is simple: Don't.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,692,995 times
Quote:

I agree.I take issue with it as well.and of course it's been said that 10% is an Old Testament command that we are no longer under..again,I agree.
It's just that heck...even the darn gov't is more fair to us than that..what if we ALL had a 10% tax rate,no matter the income level? can you imagine the hell-raising that would be going on? the riots..the demonstrations..the outright defiance? and yet Christians that go to church are just expected to sit there and take it.WTH?
don't get me wrong..if you go to church,then of course I think you should give to them..the minister needs to make a living,plus the other ongoing expenses need to be paid for.But I think if someone can only afford a dollar or so every time the collection plate comes around,God isn't offended by that.Give what you can,it's the story of the Widow's mite that comes to mind...it's not about the amount,it's the thought of giving anything that counts.
Churches are run so much like businesses these days,and I suspect God is not happy about that.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
Something else...
where does it say in the bible that we have to give our tithes to churches?
If I give money to the poor as Jesus told us to do, does that count to the tithe?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,692,995 times
Quote:
Something else...
If I give money to the poor as Jesus told us to do, does that count to the tithe?
I agree.I think it does.Jesus said give to the poor.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,441,675 times
Tithing is an Old Covenant requirement....not for us. Do what you can, for the poor and needy.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,579,330 times
Quote:
Something else...
Absolutely!!!

The origin of the law of tithes can be found in Deuteronomy 14:22-29 and here's the gist of it.

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household.

28 At the end of three years thou shall bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates.

29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied, that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

The ^^^ passage demonstrates that, God's people were to "share" in proportion...the bounty that had been given to them with anyone who was hungry, as an act of thanksgiving to the LORD.

The promulgation of tithing as an irrevocable ordinance in mainstream religion...came from the book of Malachi 3:8-9 This then became a handy tool (extortion) for organized religion to flourish and here's the gist of it.

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

The gullible...who would not dare question the doctrine or by-laws of their respective churches, nor examine the intended audience (the priests) to whom the whole book of Malachi was addressed, will eventually fall victim to this deceptive decree.

The truth is that...by taking a close look at verse 9...we can see that Malachi's discourse was for a specific hearer/audience. the word "curse" was first mentioned in chapter 2:2 "The Lord Curses the Priests."

If we were to logically think this through...the conclusion would amount to the following:

By withholding or giving less tithe out of my hard-earned income from the Lord, I would be called "selfish"...not a thief.

In contrast...If any church leaders withhold people's tithing (intended for the poor and needy in honor of the LORD) and use it for their own benefit...then obviously, this would be a case of "theft."

The Apostles...during the early church, set an example for all subsequent Christians that is unmistakable and unswerving. They did not become "salaried" ecclesiastics but often worked with their hands to support themselves, so that by any and all means they might share the "GOOD NEWS" in Jesus.

Sorry for the ramblings...this particular topic hits me close to heart...( being that, my mother is a victim of this false doctrine.)

Peace!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Tithing is an Old Covenant requirement....not for us. Do what you can, for the poor and needy.
Where does the new covenant rescind this commandment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity