Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Someone that actually researches and studies is on here...WOW!...
Thanks! If one disagrees with a church teaching tithing as a requirement, one should study both the old and new covenants to understand if it is for them today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
It's been said that you can probably tell more about a person's heart by looking at their checkbook.... than anything else. The same would seem to hold true in looking at one's anonymous posts.

Tithing is ... and isn't about the money! It's more about stewardship of everything God has given us -- which would include ALL that we have, plus our time, relationships and entire lives. You will never find a person who 'tithes' in the Spirit of God -- bemoaning the high cost or outrageous expectation that they or anyone ... should actually be expected to give away their 'hard-earned money.' That's because those who title, very quickly learn that God does more with the remainder- than they were ever able to do with the whole (that's right, tithing should involve the FIRST part, not the left-overs).

Where one tithes (by the way, it's not a 'gift' until the tithe has been paid) -- is another matter. Unfortunately, there are many churches who have NOT learned the principle of 'giving the first part .. outside of their own organization.' These churches generally always struggle financially. But, our 'Stewardship' is and should always be FIRST to God, not to the institutional church. Our giving should honor Him in Spirit and Truth.

Tithing is not an onerous obligation, but, an opportunity to share in what God is doing ... and, at the same time, be further blessed in one's own life, by the 'overflow' that God provides (Mal. 3:10).

Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton;23272538

Tithing is ... and isn't about the money! It's more about stewardship of everything God has given us[/B
-- which would include ALL that we have, plus our time, relationships and entire lives. You will never find a person who 'tithes' in the Spirit of God -- bemoaning the high cost or outrageous expectation that they or anyone ... should actually be expected to give away their 'hard-earned money.' That's because those who title, very quickly learn that God does more with the remainder- than they were ever able to do with the whole (that's right, tithing should involve the FIRST part, not the left-overs).

Our giving should honor Him in Spirit and Truth.

Tithing is not an onerous obligation, but, an opportunity to share in what God is doing ... and, at the same time, be further blessed in one's own life, by the 'overflow' that God provides (Mal. 3:10).

Yep - it's all about first fruits

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's been said that you can probably tell more about a person's heart by looking at their checkbook.... than anything else. The same would seem to hold true in looking at one's anonymous posts.

Tithing is ... and isn't about the money! It's more about stewardship of everything God has given us -- which would include ALL that we have, plus our time, relationships and entire lives. You will never find a person who 'tithes' in the Spirit of God -- bemoaning the high cost or outrageous expectation that they or anyone ... should actually be expected to give away their 'hard-earned money.' That's because those who title, very quickly learn that God does more with the remainder- than they were ever able to do with the whole (that's right, tithing should involve the FIRST part, not the left-overs).

Where one tithes (by the way, it's not a 'gift' until the tithe has been paid) -- is another matter. Unfortunately, there are many churches who have NOT learned the principle of 'giving the first part .. outside of their own organization.' These churches generally always struggle financially. But, our 'Stewardship' is and should always be FIRST to God, not to the institutional church. Our giving should honor Him in Spirit and Truth.

I agree one should give, and do it with a cheerful heart. All I've ever said is, "tithing", as in must give 10%, is not a NT commandment.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

661 posts, read 622,197 times
I believe the NT teaching about "giving" asks way more of us than the OT tithing laws required. I don't believe tithing is for Christians, but neither do I believe this should be used as a Christian's excuse not to give/make available 100% of their resources for the sake of the church.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 555 times
First, tithes were never money and they were never Firstfruits.

Second, Abram and Jacob’s tithes were from pagan sources. Neither would qualify as HOLY tithes under the Laws per Lev 27:30-35; Num 18:20-28; Mal 4:4 and Mt 23:23.

Third, true biblical HOLY tithes were always only FOOD from inside God’s HOLY land of Israel which only He had miraculously increased. Tithes could not come from what man increased, from outside Israel, or from Gentles such as most of us.

Fourth, tithes were only a MINIMUM beginning place for givers who were food producers in Israel.

Fifth, New Covenant POST-CALVARY giving was freewill, generous, SACRIFICIAL, joyful, not by commandment, and motivated by love for God and lost souls per 2 Cor 8 and 9.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Everyone who has ever lived after Jesus' death and resurrection has lived under NT grace, and is not under OT law.
Do you have a link for this?
I have a problem with a lot of the Old Testament (hello, do as God commands and be prepared to slaughter your son?? etc etc etc).
As a Christian I feel that my main obligations are to love God and one another,
as Christ taught.
But so much of the OT "musts" are insanely antiquated.

I would love to read more about this NT grace of which you speak. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did a search on "tithing" and found this thread, so I thought I'd bump it rather than start a new one.

Has anyone else ever made a pledge to give to their church and then found out they can't keep it up? I am in a very small parish. The budget is never really balanced because expenses exceed income. A few regular churchgoers are flat-out unemployed. I have a decent job but a lot of debt/expense, and while my own expenses don't allow me to "tithe" as in give ten percent, I did make a pledge at our annual meeting in January. Not only did I want to help the church, which has welcomed me with a warmth I've not known elsewhere, but I wanted to give something of what I have as a matter of stepping out in faith.

Since that time, I've gotten whacked left and right with unforeseen expenses. My water heater broke. I needed two major car repairs. My daughter needed additional college money that I didn't know we were going to have to pay. I'm already eating eggs and soup and toast for dinner four nights a week, which is fine--I don't mind eating cheaply. Now we've been told that our health-insurance benefits at work are going to start costing us about $400 more per month. I simply cannot afford to give what I've pledged to the church. I don't have anywhere else I can cut.

I didn't make a pledge expecting to get more back as I've heard some people do, but I didn't expect God to start whacking me financially as soon as I made such a pledge either. (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm not supposed to view it that way, but guess what, I do, and yes, I'm a little angry.) This was supposed to be part of working to increase my faith, and instead, my faith is taking a battering here.

If you have the urge to start cutting and pasting bible verses left and right, please refrain. I will only ignore such posts. I am looking for others who may have been in the same situation who can share their stories on how they handled this type of mess. Did you go back to the church and tell them you can't do what you promised? And how did this affect your faith in God in the long term?
Been there and done that. The tithe was never preached to the Gentles but giving as one is prospered was and is. Paul did not take from them who had need but from those who had abundance to give to those who had the need. Yes there are exceptions where some have extraordinary faith and give even of poverty but true faith is this matter is a revelation from the Spirit that God will repay. True faith is the evidence/revelation of things hoped for, not a guess work.

The general rule is, family and bills come first. God is not broke. We are for lack of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity