Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times

Advertisements

My family are Christians and we own and operate a business, but I feel my folks are being too generous in paying tithes (1200 on behalf of the business, 200 on behalf of 1200 of their take home pay) to their church. With their mortgage payments, which their house is upside down, and their monthly health insurance of 1500 and climbing, they aren't really assessing on what they can actually give based on their personal and business finances.

I know this all sounds confusing, but they really have an odd way of managing their personal finance, which I feel that they are heading towards going off the cliff if they don't start carefully managing it.

I've brought it up with my mother, who seems clueless about it since my dad manages their finances, but I feel somewhat guilty for insisting that they scale back on their monthly tithes of 1400.

If one owns a business that is struggling to break even, should he pay tithes based on gross or net (profit)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
If one owns a business that is struggling to break even, should he pay tithes based on gross or net (profit)?
I think that is a matter between your parents and the Lord. I'm assuming your parents are mentally competent, if they are managing their own business, but even if you feel you need to be involved, I certainly don't think it's up to a bunch of strangers on the internet to be putting in their two cents worth!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
My family are Christians and we own and operate a business, but I feel my folks are being too generous in paying tithes (1200 on behalf of the business, 200 on behalf of 1200 of their take home pay) to their church. With their mortgage payments, which their house is upside down, and their monthly health insurance of 1500 and climbing, they aren't really assessing on what they can actually give based on their personal and business finances.

I know this all sounds confusing, but they really have an odd way of managing their personal finance, which I feel that they are heading towards going off the cliff if they don't start carefully managing it.

I've brought it up with my mother, who seems clueless about it since my dad manages their finances, but I feel somewhat guilty for insisting that they scale back on their monthly tithes of 1400.

I would think it is out of profit (before tax). But then again, you give what you can. There is no rule carved in stone that you must give so and so much.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:

Tithing has nothing to do with anything that has a single thing to do with spending an eternity with God in His Kingdom. It means nothing. What will this church do for your parents when or if they do go under?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think that is a matter between your parents and the Lord. I'm assuming your parents are mentally competent, if they are managing their own business, but even if you feel you need to be involved, I certainly don't think it's up to a bunch of strangers on the internet to be putting in their two cents worth!
They are mentally competent... but I don't think they are being realistic about their budget. I agree with you that the amount of tithes is between them and the Lord, but on the other hand... I manage the business finance and I can see that paying the amount of tithes they are right now isn't helping the business.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Tithing has nothing to do with anything that has a single thing to do with spending an eternity with God in His Kingdom. It means nothing. What will this church do for your parents when or if they do go under?
My sentiments exactly. I told them to give what they can, not to feel obligated that they must continue to pay the same amount when the economy was doing well.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
What will this church do for your parents when or if they do go under?
To me, what the church will do for his parents if and when they "go under" is immaterial. I know that I don't tithe based on what "my Church will do for me" but based on what "my God has done for me."

Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I told them to give what they can, not to feel obligated that they must continue to pay the same amount when the economy was doing well.
So is it that you believe they feel obligated to pay, i.e. are being "guilted into it"? I wouldn't like that myself.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. R told them to give what they can, not to feel obligated that they must continue to pay the same amount when the economy was doing well.

Not being a Christian, I'm curious as to why your God would need money. Wouldn't your God want your parents to take care of themselves in this world and not put themselves in a position of need. This is one thing I could never understand, paying tithes to a church and minister is like trying to buy your way into your God's good graces when you're God has no use of money. Just my opinion.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So is it that you believe they feel obligated to pay, i.e. are being "guilted into it"? I wouldn't like that myself.

I think it has more to do with the fact that it is a small, but somewhat growing church. It's a nice church, but I just have a hard time seeing why my folks have to bear the burden of paying too much. It isn't even a local church, it's a church that is part of a network or whatever it is called nowadays.

I've been meaning to bring it up with my dad, but I don't want money to strain our relationship. My main concern is they have enough money put aside for themselves as they enter their 60's. And if we don't look after the business first, my sister and I will not be in any position to help our folks if it goes under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity