Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,705,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Not being a Christian, I'm curious as to why your God would need money. Wouldn't your God want your parents to take care of themselves in this world and not put themselves in a position of need. This is one thing I could never understand, paying tithes to a church and minister is like trying to buy your way into your God's good graces when you're God has no use of money. Just my opinion.
It's not that God needs money. I think it has more to do with the local church needing money. Believe me, I've seen both sides... I know money is good for funding such things that promote a good cause. i.e. missionaries. On the other hand, I've seen churches where pastors ride expensive luxury cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,584,463 times
Quote:
Not being a Christian, I'm curious as to why your God would need money. Wouldn't your God want your parents to take care of themselves in this world and not put themselves in a position of need. This is one thing I could never understand, paying tithes to a church and minister is like trying to buy your way into your God's good graces when you're God has no use of money. Just my opinion.

Being a believer...I'm of the same opinion.

Last edited by ans57; 03-18-2011 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: for clarification

Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,206,988 times
If your parents give so much money that they run out of money and then have to start accepting money as charity themselves... well, wouldn't that be counterproductive?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Not being a Christian, I'm curious as to why your God would need money.
I'm just curious... How would you propose that church buildings be built, maintained, heated, etc? Bibles and hymnals be printed? Where would the funds come from if not from the Church membership?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,584,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just curious... How would you propose that church buildings be built, maintained, heated, etc? Bibles and hymnals be printed? Where would the funds come from if not from the Church membership?[/color]
As a non-member of any "organized religion."
Isaiah 66:1-2 Thus saith the LORD, The earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye built unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

for all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

aisi.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,673,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just curious... How would you propose that church buildings be built, maintained, heated, etc? Bibles and hymnals be printed? Where would the funds come from if not from the Church membership?[/color]
Understand, I am not a Christian so I have who use for buildings or book's. My cultural belief comes from my ancestors who passed it on to me and I in turn will pass it on to my descendents, this is the way it has been done for hundreds of thousands of years and it will continue to be done this way. My Creator has no use for the trappings of men of this world.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
It's not our money. Everything we have is God's. God loves a cheerful giver and when you tithe cheerfully, you are showing God that you trust Him to take care of you.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Understand, I am not a Christian so I have who use for buildings or book's. My cultural belief comes from my ancestors who passed it on to me and I in turn will pass it on to my descendents, this is the way it has been done for hundreds of thousands of years and it will continue to be done this way. My Creator has no use for the trappings of men of this world.
Fair enough.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
My family are Christians and we owns a business that is struggling to break even, should he pay tithes based on gross or net (profit)?
Some people have to pay their tithes to the gross, and that is there point of Contact to the Lord ..... where other people have to pay tithes to the net and have faith to still receive a blessing of the Lord in their charity , still others people pay a fifth of their net to the Charity of the Lord Jesus and Jesus will bless these people in the point of contact to the promises that Jesus said he will give for offerings ...... still others people who are completely broke of money and believe Jesus will supply all their need and Jesus does supply their basic needs for their lives and ministries there they Works for Jesus ...... See Charity if a fruit of the Spirit and Christians are called give this to replenish the fruit and Jesus said if you give , He said he will give , and this fruit brakes the World and it selfishness and hording off the Children blessed with this fruit of charity....... but some Church use the Law of the Word of God and condemn people if they don`t pay and condemn them if they don`t do what they say or believe , but Jesus will still bless people who give or give with their lack or abundance ,,,.. Jesus says if you cannot help the poor then he will not see you at the resurrection ,, and when you help the church then Jesus has a place to send people who need to be saved and to bless his People and it is place that is a hot idea to give where people are being saved ........

Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 19,177 times
Here's the deal:

First of all I don't agree with the above poster hljc
Secondly, be careful the Bible says there are plenty of false teachers
Thirdly for anyone who wants to understand Biblical giving why it's important (but you're right He doesn't need our money) you should read Genesis and the first five books of the Bible for an explanation.
Finally, the Bible says anyone who tries to live according to the law is under a curse. Thankfully Jesus paid the price and we as Christians are free so we are no longer under the curse...So stop living and giving tithes which is an Old Testament way of living. The New Testament epistles(our current covenant) never mentions tithes but collections....give as much or as little as you want...but not legalistically...(And don't say I'm doing it in faith or whatever like I used to)...

A type of litmus test? Stop tithing and see if you freakout-if you freakout you're in bondage- been there-hated it)

Doing anything under the law? God says that's a no-no. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"....I sure was...but repent, move on and don't sweat it. We're always learning.

Remember: If we have to do anything for our salvation (or for God) as Christians this is futile and can hurt Us.

Hope this helps. Many disagree...but the Word says what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity