Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,036,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Good question. Got an answer? I shall reserve mine until I see yours.
Sure HotinAZ, God gives us a new heart as a gift according to His purpose and desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This is probably the important bit: God doesn't intend for everyone to realize this right now.
Just wanted to highlight this again. This is part of the truth that we have to realize: not everyone will realize this because God doesn't intend for everyone to realize this right now. There is absolutely nothing we can do to change what someone believes until God's appointed time to open their eyes.

That's humbling. And its why we must proceed with patience and kindness in hopes that God will grant repentance leading to the truth.

Just re-read the OP. That is what is happening right on this forum even.

2 Tim 2:25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

There are a lot of people who are captive right now and don't even realize it.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Not everyone will realize the truth because God doesn't intend for everyone to realize it right now.

Romans 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.
17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”
18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden

NLT says it like this:
Romans 9:18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

The CEV says it like this:
Romans 9:18 Everything depends on what God decides to do, and he can either have pity on people or make them stubborn.

Everything depends on what God decides to do. That is humbling. Ask yourself: would you realize it if God made you stubborn? Would you realize it if God chose to harden your heart? That is a humbling thought.

Furthermore:
Romans 11:7 ... “God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes that could not see
and ears that could not hear,
to this very day.”

Romans 11:32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Yet we know:
1 Tim 2:3
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

God will not leave people in stubbornness and disobedience and hardened hearts. He will bring people into a full knowledge of the truth.
Do you see why God is doing all this?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM

For those who understand what I'm talking about here... why would God do this? Why would God come up with a plan where many don't understand and only a few understand? Why would God intend that people not understand and be disobedient right now? Many called... few chosen. Why?

Why would God intend that right now most don't see the truth, while a few others get a small glimpse of the truth? Why would God harden hearts so that they would be blind? Why?

Humility. God is humbling us all. He is teaching us humility. The proud will fall and be humbled. That's all of us.

If one can realize that it is only because of God that we might have understanding - it is nothing of ourselves - that is humbling. The only way one can understand is if God opens their eyes. Its all of God. Everything depends on what God decides to do.

Its teaching us patience. Its teaching us to trust in God - because that is the only way people will come to see the truth. No matter how much we debate and argue, we cannot open another persons eyes to the truth. Its teaching us who might have a glimpse of the truth to instruct in kindness and gentleness and humility in hopes that God will grant them repentance that leads to knowledge of the truth. He is teaching us to persevere and overcome.

Why does one person have a glimpse of the truth and why does another person have a hard heart? Because everything depends on what God decides to do. Really really think about that. Humility -> leading to patience and kindness and understanding. Do you see it?

In short, God is teaching us how to love.
Do you see the genius of God's plan yet?

God is teaching us to LOVE!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
But Repentance is a gift from God, don't you agree? How can one repent unless God gives them repentance?
...and this is a lie from the pit of hell.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,151 times
What if someone doesnt want to be saved even after death?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...and this is a lie from the pit of hell.
2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

See just from God's Word (Not a pit of hell - whatever that is).

Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

See just from God's Word (Not a pit of hell - whatever that is).
Pit Of Hell - where Satan resides...wherever that may be...in a heart...in a message...in words...in deeds...wherever there is anything contrary to God's precious word.

I am not attacking you. You have a lot of truth...just not the whole truth...which us critical. It is the message trettep (the motive) that is behind your post that is from the pit of hell...and the wrongful attempt to support your err in understanding with 2 Timothy 2:25 is, in fact, even worse yet.

The lie is the wrongful attempt to teach that God will give repentance to those who oppose His will and die in this opposition...but read on to verse 26, where it states that sinners are taken in a snare, and in the worst snare, because it is the devil's; they are slaves to him. If any long for deliverance, let them remember they never can escape, except by repentance, which is the gift of God; and we must ask it of him by earnest, persevering prayer...a pure heart...and believe me...He just doesn't drop it in your lap after some alter call!

The same God who gives us the discovery of the truth does by his grace bring us to the acknowledging of it, otherwise our hearts would continue in rebellion against it, for we are to confess with our mouths as well as to believe with our hearts, Rom. 10:9, 10.

THERE ARE PREREQUISITS..."IF! YOU WILL..." THEN! I WILL!...saith the LORD God !

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Pit Of Hell - where Satan resides...wherever that may be...in a heart...in a message...in words...in deeds...wherever there is anything contrary to God's precious word.

I am not attacking you. You have a lot of truth...just not the whole truth...which us critical. It is the message trettep (the motive) that is behind your post that is from the pit of hell...and the wrongful attempt to support your err in understanding with 2 Timothy 2:25 is, in fact, even worse yet.

The lie is the wrongful attempt to teach that God will give repentance to those who oppose His will and die in this opposition...but read on to verse 26, where it states that sinners are taken in a snare, and in the worst snare, because it is the devil's; they are slaves to him. If any long for deliverance, let them remember they never can escape, except by repentance, which is the gift of God; and we must ask it of him by earnest, persevering prayer...a pure heart...and believe me...He just doesn't drop it in your lap after some alter call!

The same God who gives us the discovery of the truth does by his grace bring us to the acknowledging of it, otherwise our hearts would continue in rebellion against it, for we are to confess with our mouths as well as to believe with our hearts, Rom. 10:9, 10.

THERE ARE PREREQUISITS..."IF! YOU WILL..." THEN! I WILL!...saith the LORD God !

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
Then can you tell me about the difference between the repentance that is not a gift from God and the repentance that God gives?

Act 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 AM

14,895 posts, read 17,186,563 times
Quote:
For those who understand what I'm talking about here... why would God do this? Why would God come up with a plan where many don't understand and only a few understand? Why would God intend that people not understand and be disobedient right now? Many called... few chosen. Why?

Why would God intend that right now most don't see the truth, while a few others get a small glimpse of the truth? Why would God harden hearts so that they would be blind? Why?

Humility. God is humbling us all. He is teaching us humility. The proud will fall and be humbled. That's all of us.

If one can realize that it is only because of God that we might have understanding - it is nothing of ourselves - that is humbling. The only way one can understand is if God opens their eyes. Its all of God. Everything depends on what God decides to do.

Its teaching us patience. Its teaching us to trust in God - because that is the only way people will come to see the truth. No matter how much we debate and argue, we cannot open another persons eyes to the truth. Its teaching us who might have a glimpse of the truth to instruct in kindness and gentleness and humility in hopes that God will grant them repentance that leads to knowledge of the truth. He is teaching us to persevere and overcome.

Why does one person have a glimpse of the truth and why does another person have a hard heart? Because everything depends on what God decides to do. Really really think about that. Humility -> leading to patience and kindness and understanding. Do you see it?

In short, God is teaching us how to love.
Do you see the genius of God's plan yet?

God is teaching us to LOVE!

I agree, thank you for sharing Legoman. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity